Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #61
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Nice to find this thread! I ordered mine on the first day they were available on the website also. I'm figuring it could be a bit longer than four weeks for the first batch. That's fine. I'm willing to wait for these!

I'm kind of hoping the crash bars will fit with the BMW aluminum bash plate (the sturdier one made by TT that covers the cat). I ordered a Adv-Spec bash plate as well, just in case they don't.

Wondering, wonky, what led you to not cover the cat with your bash plate? Everything about your products suggests you think the design through thoroughly, so I'm guessing there is a good reason....

Rob in Seattle
Old 11-11-2008, 05:35 AM   #62
Lucky Jack
Amateur Barbarian

Oddometer: 26
Received the bashplate last month and its awesome, great work guys. Ordering crash bars today -sounds like ill be very lucky to get into the second batch?

Question (hopefully not too off topic) has anyone tried the barkbusters on the 800 yet?

thanks
D110 #413
800GS
EC MN'10,RGS

www.G-EOS.com

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back.. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth : that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too... Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius..Begin it now.
-W H Murray Himalaya Expedition 1951
Lucky Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #63
rajelus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Barkbuster

Yep. I have the Barkbusters and love them. They have a nice alloy bakcbone and they look great.
rajelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #64
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,916
Has anyone received their bars yet?

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #65
rajelus
Adventurer

Crash Bars

My card was fully charged Friday. I expect them to ship to me this week (cross fingers). Will post pictures once they get in (I already have the adv-spec bash plate installed)
Old 11-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #66
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajelus
My card was fully charged Friday. I expect them to ship to me this week (cross fingers). Will post pictures once they get in (I already have the adv-spec bash plate installed)
Mine has a charge pending as of 11/21, so I've also got my fingers crossed. I was also post up pictures. I'm eager to see if the bars fit with the BMW (by TT) bash plate.

Rob in Seattle
Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #67
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

I got mine!

My bars and bash plate arrived last week while I was away in San Diego. They are beefy! I hope to get them installed in the next couple days, and will post pictures.

As a couple others have said, mine were somewhat the worse for wear due to insufficient packaging. Powdercoat worn off in a few places. I'll have to touch them up I suspect, as they'll rust in Seattle if I don't. More careful wrapping and maybe a box on the next round of shipments, eh Wonky?

Rob in Seattle
Old 12-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #68
twuelfing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
i just put my bars on, they fit fine with the BMW skid plate.

mine too had the powder coat off in a few places, which tells me that the prep work before powder coat wasnt as good as it could have been. When powder coat is applied properly it is super indestructible.

i am very pleased with them and they seem super sturdy.
twuelfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:48 AM   #69
rajelus
Adventurer

Crash Bars

I installed mine on Thanksgiving while delegating some Turkey cooking to my family

They came in the bag, but absolutely no damage, they were mint condition.

They look great and I think they will offer some great protection.

http://scottgregory.smugmug.com/phot...11_T3gCj-M.jpg
Old 12-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #70
SelkieRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Question

I'm curious for those of you who have received your bars, how long after your card was charged did you guys receive your order?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #71
rajelus
Adventurer

Card Charge to Receipt of Bars

Hmm...charged my card on Friday and received on Wednesday.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #72
SelkieRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I dropped a line to Chris over at Adventure Spec and he explained they were working on some packaging issues. My bars are on their way!

Also, I just wanted to say that I emailed late Friday evening UK time and Chris got right back to me with a response to my inquiry. Great customer service and I'm looking forward to the arrival of my order!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #73
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Installed mine today.

I installed my crashbars today. I posted pics/thoughts over on the crashbars thread, here, where I figure it might be useful to others: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=33

One question: What is the torque setting for the 100mm bolts up at the top? The (excellent) instructions give torque values for all the other fasteners, but say "per the manufacturer's specifications" for those.

Functionally, I can't imagine a better set of crashbars. Aesthetically, maybe I can...but I'll live with that compromise to protect the bike.

The powder-coating does not look, at first glance, to be the three-layer system talked about above in this thread. Where it was abraded in shipping I see bare metal, with the coating wrinkled and kinda piled up (on a very very small scale.) Shouldn't be a huge deal, but we'll see how durable the finish is in use.

Rob in Seattle
Old 12-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #74
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
One question: What is the torque setting for the 100mm bolts up at the top? The (excellent) instructions give torque values for all the other fasteners, but say "per the manufacturer's specifications" for those.

Which bolt are you talking about? I can look it up in the service manual if you can point it out in a pic (or describe the location sufficiently).

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #75
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Which bolt are you talking about? I can look it up in the service manual if you can point it out in a pic (or describe the location sufficiently).
Thanks Nate! Awesome. On the stock bike it's the motor mount bolt with a plastic bung over it, on the aft side of the cylinder head.

Number 4/5 on this diagram, and the corresponding one on the other side:

Rob in Seattle