User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Tetched OP
Local Village idiot

Oddometer: 500
WV to VA thru Maine

Every three years Kay grows a big canning garden and this was the year.Now once Kay gets in canning mode,the best thing for me is to stay out of her way and out of her kitchen,cause this is her thing.So I loaded up on a sunday afternoon with no destination and headed north.First state to pass into was

Stayed on 2 or single lane roads,didn't matter if they were paved or not.Only rule I had was North or east and into the mountains.Tried staying in the upper elavations the whole trip.

Looked down into the vally below and saw this
farm with a huge corn maze

Because of the late start,I didn't travel very far the first day.Storms were looming in the horizon,and time to find a place to camp.Saw an old road going along the side of the road up over the mountain and thought,why not?

Just as I started up the road,it let loose with a pretty good downpour.Got set up and fell asleep listening to the thunder storm and rain the first night

The next morning the rain let up long enough to get on the road.Next stop

As soon as I get into Pa. the rain starts again,and continued to rain the rest of the day.Didn't dampin the spirits any,full set of rain gear,no problem.The fog set in for awhile,check the clock on the klr.12:30 in the afternoon

Dropping down into the vally,the fog cleared alittle but the rain continued.Didn't bother this little guy.Either a six or eight,couldn't tell

Got back up into the mountains on some cool back roads

Notice the amount of water running down the road.Raining hard,but I was loving every minute of it.Gotta love an adventure.Rolled thru the mountains and came to a small camp ground in the middle of nowhere in the national forest.No fee.Home for the night

I should mention,that I took all of my supplies with me,food,stove everything to self contain the trip out of the panniers and water proof bag on the back.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
Tetched OP
Local Village idiot

That night was one heck of a storm.When I stopped for gas the next morning,the guys were watching the local news and said that they had up to two inches of rain that night.I think I heard every drop hit the tent.Got rolling north into

Did a little jaunt on a side road up the mountain

Dropped back down onto rt 14 and headed north.Got above Elmira and the rain let up to a little drizzle the rest of the way

Traveled on up 14 to the finger lakes region thru the wine country of the east

Stopped on one of the lakes and a fellow couldn't belive I rode a dirt bike from Virginia all the way up here

At this point I turned east to split the finger lakes and head towards Vermont.Lotta nice area around the finger lakes and plenty to see.But I wanted to get up into north east corner of New York before dark.Looked like alot of open space on the map.I believe this is an osprey on her nest

and this little advertisment for a local establisment

Finally up into NE NY.A nice little valley

Nice little beaver dam

Started looking for a camp site,and ended up at Moffit lake for the evening.Nice camp site with all the amenities.

Up the next morning,overcast but dry,and headed NE

beautiful country

A little low on water,but nice shot of typical creeks in the area

Traveled on up to Champlain and crossed over into Vermont.But this caught my attention

Alot of history here,but didn't spend as much time as needed to give a good report on the point.
Crossing over to Vermont

Once in Vermont,I had already traveled further than expected,but with no destination and no time line,I thought I would go ahead and shoot for Maine.The klr is running as smooth as could be expected,not using any oil and plenty of rubber left,plus the weather was cooperating,so east we went

I tried to do alittle dirt or unimproved road in every state,Vermont was no exception

popped up oner this rise on top of a mountain

to see this

The camera,or my photography ability cannot do it justice,but it was absolutely beautiful
Found a camping spot along a small stream for the evening and enjoyed a hot cup of coffee and time to reflect on the beauty of the North East.Didn't get a pic of this spot for some reason.The next morning around seven,it was a pretty good climb up out of where I had camped,as I just pulled of off a rural road about 200 yards down along the stream.I was flogging on her alittle to keep the speed up and when I popped up on the road there was an elderly gentlemen getting ready to go down to the creek.Needless to say,we both had a good little chuckle over that meeting
On into

First trip to Maine,and what a state.I didn't have any travel destination anywhere,so I kept going east

I just have a thing for pure mountain/trout streams

Maine backcountry

I bounced back and forth on the Maine/Vermont border for alittle bit enjoying that area .When coming off of one of the steep switchback roads my rear brake pad delaminated eating into my rotor.Now i'm down to just the front brake.I get down into a little crossroad and am looking at a map for the next largest town that might support a bike shop when a fellow pulls up and checks on me.Told him the situation and says,not a problem.I'm about 20 miles from a Kawasaki dealer,so off we go.

So now I'm riding,fully loaded,with one working brake and I see this

Now that will snap ya out of it
Arrived at the Kaw shop and met Mike and his wife,owners of JEM Motosports in S.Paris Me.

Very nice people who are also very civic minded.They sponsor,including there two children,twelve racers.No small feat for any shop,big or small.Told Mike the situation and he promptly made room in their shop and started work on the rear brake and rotor

I also wanted to replace the front brake while we were at it and he didn't have one in stock.But,he did have an 07 on the floor and pulled that one and got me back on the road.All for minimal cost.He has 2 07's on the floor marked down substansually and an 08 sittin there also.Very good people to deal with.
Back on the road,I begrudgingly started my return trip home,but not directly.
I continued on into Maine alittle further before heading now southwest.
I now start heading west into

Gotta love those New England stone walls

some more of the northern rivers

forgot a couple of pics from Vermont that I wanted to post

Old 08-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Tetched OP
Local Village idiot

Now I head alittle further south and make it back into New York across the hudson valley crossing the Rip Van Winkle bridge

I'm now headin south and getting ready to go around Albany when I go by a bmw shop that looks familiar.But I have not been to this part of New York and can't quite understand why I reconize this place when it hit's me.It's maxbmw.I see it alot on the adv site.Well I stop and check it out.Very nice shop and great people.Max was there and we talked 1200gsa.I was getting ready to leave and he walks out with me to check out the klr.We have alittle more conversation about traveling when he notices my backtire.I feel fine,it's a mefo with at least 1000 miles left on her,but Max is concerned enough he offers me a free tire to get me home.I decline,but was nice to meet fellow adv'ers always willing to help.Nice people and nice shop.
a pic of Max with his lean,mean,racing machine.

I leave Maxs and skirt Albany using Maxs directions,a nice country ride around the big city and make it on down to pa around 6pm
I go sothwest untill I hit rt6 and take this over to Troy pa to camp to see if my dad would happen to be there.Arriving around 7:30 my dad pulls in right behind me.The first night in a bed in 6 days

Had a great visit with my dad who was up playing golf at three different courses in three days,he was having a ball.One course was in Elmira,one in Wellsboro,and I can't come up with the third.
Up the next morning and hit a few backroads on my way south

headin thru rural pa

Headed on down into valley to Antietam
I camp just outside of Antietam for the evening,again with a thunderstorm and rain after dark.I stay at Caledonia state park and they have an outdoor amphitheater where their film that night is on Lewis and Clark.Was a nice twist on camping.

Make it to The battleground the next morning and spend not near enough time there

Sobering.Being a vetern and on a battlefield with such end results leaves one with a sad feeling for those who were there.
Leaving there and heading south I enter

Just a short stint here before I'm back in

Still had to take a few side roads before home

Last fuel stop before the last 95 miles to home

Arriving home around 7 pm sunday afternoon

All in all,a very good trip.A little over 2400 miles.Minus the small maint. bill for the brakes,total trip cost was around $250.The most expense was fuel.I did,on the last day buy breakfast and dinner on the road.I had alloted $350 to do this trip as cheap as possible just to do it.I arrived at home with $43 bucks in my pocket.The only thing I missed this trip was my Kay and dry feet.Kay and I are headed back up in 08 for at least three weeks of touring the same areas I went thru and more.There is sooo much to see and do.The people I met were all very friendly and accommidating.Hope you enjoyed the thread.

Happy Trails

Mike

Old 08-31-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Tripod
waldeinsamkeit

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrmike
I bounced back and forth on the Maine/Vermont border for alittle bit enjoying that area .
Now there's a thought, lets just forget those live free or fry'ers actually exist. I've always thought Vt would have made a much better neighbor.

Enjoyed your report! Man, I love those KLR's. Looks like you covered some very nice country.

"If I wanted someone to clean me up I'de find myself a maid"-Dawes
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,354
Lots of beautiful riding in VT.. thanks for the report and pics
Old 08-31-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
GS Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Damn....you have some stamina! All on a thumper, too. Nice report.

Bones

"Context is everything."
GS Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
Noreaster
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,395
It would seem that you managed to avoid my Great State enterly. Strong work! Thanks for sharing you pictures and memories.

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
2005 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
Jackhole
Team Blizted

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
...Max was there and we talked 1200gsa.I was getting ready to leave and he walks out with me to check out the klr.We have alittle more conversation about traveling when he notices my backtire.I feel fine,it's a mefo with at least 1000 miles left on her,but Max is concerned enough he offers me a free tire to get me home.I decline,but was nice to meet fellow adv'ers always willing to help.Nice people and nice shop.
a pic of Max with his lean,mean,racing machine.

Nice report, but I think I know why "Max" was so generous with the free tires. That's not Max, it's Steve. Never believe a word he says. He also likes to tell people that he's the rider in this video.

OK, that part is actually true...
Jackhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
TOMGRUNT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thumb

Great Pics !!!

Enjoyed this report immensely, Thanks !!!

S/F
T.G.
TOMGRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #10
Laughingdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
As someone who has only done motel/hotel motorcycle trips, I have to ask what may seem like a stupid question to a lot on here. How do you deal with food on a trip like that? Do you pick up stuff in the afternoon/evening to cook later? Do you just bring a lot of canned stuff? I haven't camped since I was 10 years old, back in the days when my Dad would swear up and down that he liked to camp...and swear, and swear, and swear. So breaking the cord from the motels and restaurants is extremely intimidating right now.
Laughingdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
Tetched OP
Local Village idiot

laughdawg,I packed everything before I went.I packed like I was backpacking.Food included vacuum packed tuna,instant oatmeal(single packs) like cinnamon and apple,cup o soup,trail mix,coffee/tea singles,backpacking trail food like three bean chili,etc.Even took my Katydin water purifyer.Had the little packs of crystal light to add to the water for something different.I have a small msr pocket stove and fuel cell to cook on.Used a 6x8 lightweight tarp for ground cover under a lightweight backpacking tent.Had a 1" air mattress and alight weight summer sleeping bag/with pillow.Laugh at the pillow,but if you want a good nites sleep,it's a must This type of food is protein heavy and actually keeps you from getting hungry and has plenty of energy.Kept a couple of snack bars in the tank bag for midday.The hardest thing for me to do was stop riding early enough to set up camp before it was to late in the day.Try a couple overniters,imho,it's more of an adventure than hoteling it.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #12
Laughingdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Try a couple overniters,imho,it's more of an adventure than hoteling it.
It certainly seems like it. I just have to get over that whole "digging a hole to take a dump" hurdle before I can do anything truly interesting on a motorcycle or a kayak. I guess there's just a little too much city boy in me still.
Laughingdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Just caught up to this from your link Mike, can you leave when it's time to hoe too? Nice job on the report.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #14
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingdawg
It certainly seems like it. I just have to get over that whole "digging a hole to take a dump" hurdle before I can do anything truly interesting on a motorcycle or a kayak. I guess there's just a little too much city boy in me still.
You might want to try some of the good primitive campgrounds in George Washington National Forest - outhouse type toilets and a water supply, otherwise you bring what you need. I like my showers, so I recommend a single size sun shower, which can also be filled with hot water from the camp stove.

Let me know if you need a couple suggestions...

Marc