User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #16
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
End of day #1= 250 miles
The Arkansas portion of the TAT from the western portions till about Bartlesville,OK are very much Ozark Mountains and rolling hills, just enough water crossing to keep you interested.
We stayed with Keith and headed out on the slab to Bartlesville after breakfast. Again-- hot & humid!! The camelback was emptied at least twice daily. Highly recommend carrying water-- lots of it. This was my first time using a Camelback-- I had one for months before trying it- now it will be used every trip in the future.
Rode through the normal Oklahoma farm country, mostly flat, the trees became more scarce each mile and shade more a luxury.
We stopped in beautiful Medford, OK-- motel for air conditioning to cool our tired bodies. I like "make snow" temperature after a hot day in the sun.
Attached Images

LeeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #17
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Day #2=222 miles
Departed downtown Medford and crossed more of Oklahoma-- more farmland, more heat, more sun-- less shade!! We hit some sandy portions of road, not too deep until about 8 miles west of Tyrone. The road narrowed and then narrowed some more-- now with two tracks in deep "doo-doo" sand, no shoulder, just deep track-- after about 1 mile of this wonderful stuff-- as Gaspipe says: a gravity storm occurred.
A get off at about 10-15MPH, no damage-- but my KLR was loaded "heavy- way too heavy". Luckily a rancher on his way home drives up-- asked "What the hell are you doing on this road?" I asked him the same question-- he says: "I'm taking a short cut home". He helps me pick up the bike and says the roads gets "Lots worse- for the next 1-2 miles".
I wait about 2 minutes and Burt & Chuck backtrack to see what fun I'm having. We decide to backtrack around this section. Burt had broken his windshield doing a sand get off just up the road from me. Big bad Chuck on his XR650-- lighter than both Burt & I had no problems.
We stop in Guymon, OK at another motel with a "freeze your ass off" air conditioner.
Day 3= 285 miles
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #18
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Hit the road again knowing we were getting out of Oklahoma and climbing to higher altitudes and lower temps/humidity. Of course had the last couple of miles in the sand before New Mexico.
This day Burt & Chuck are ridding hard, miss the turn off to Long Canyon Road. I'm bringing up the rear- get caught behind State Road Repair dudes who hold me up for 15 minutes, then want to talk TAT stuff.
Me having the best GPSS track file & way point info- make the right turn to Long Canyon Road, about 5 miles later hit the sign at a rancher's drive way
that has a arrow pointing up a steep narrow road-- says:"Bikes". This was the first challenging hill climb of the trip. Went up and switchbacked a couple of times-- probably 2 miles of rocks and pay attention ruts!
I stopped and noticed no bike tracks ahead of me. I waited for Burt & Chuck to make their way up. Shortly, we entered Colorado.
Also the temp dropped, it was a jacket day- dodging small showers.
Made it to Walsenburg,CO.
Chuck gave a report on "Red Neck" man getting a little pissed about us not deciding to stay in his run down, dirty, dying RV park. Especially after a thunder storm left no dry places out of the mud to pitch a tent. Chuck and I got another motel-- didn't need the "snow machine" that night.

Day 4= 275 miles
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #19
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

More pics.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #20
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Again--
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #21
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Left Walsenburg heading for Salida,CO and staying at HayDuke's & Bonnie's "Adventure Rider" cabin.
Finally started to see Aspen trees, mountains (real ones) and again dodging showers. The last miles into Salida crosses very scenic views, hit a couple of water on the road, we just missed a big thunder storm letting down into the Salida basin. It would not have been fun - we could see the running water coming down the ravines and creeks.
Arrived in Salida and went to "Duke's" shirt shop, got directions to the cabin and off we went to try and beat the rain again. I lived in Colorado for 10 years, you need to be off the roads by 2 PM to keep from getting pounded with cold rain and ???
Short day, needed to get Chuck's 14 tooth sprocket he had shipped to Salida. From here on - a 14 tooth is needed for the high passes and wonderful ATV trails.
Enjoyed the cabin-- thanks again to "HayDuke & Bonnie". They were great hosts.
Day 5=179 miles
Attached Images

LeeU screwed with this post 09-14-2008 at 11:57 AM
Old 09-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #22
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Colorado Highcountry
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #23
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

More pics!!
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #24
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Hayduke & Bonnie
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #25
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Little out of sequence, this was leaving Westcliffe,CO
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #26
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee
At this point, The general was hanging back about a mile pretending he was Big Dog or Gasspipe.
Yeh----were both pretty slow too

I've heard this complete story already and how it comes out----but am anxious for the truth to finally come out now that there are witnesses and of course "PICTURES".

So you better watch what you say--I'm listening

And I don't want to hear any shit about you getting lost----I did all I could for you !!!!

Hey---Lee---Hey Burt !!!

I've said it before on AdvRider--but I met these 2 guys while riding the Continental divide ride--then again ran into Burt in Mexico--these guys get around I'm telling you !!!!

From
Another TATered old man. TATered old men........unite !!!!!!
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 09-14-2008 at 10:17 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #27
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

BigDog--
Hell no I didn't get lost, both of them were roaming around many miles in "no man's

land" a few times. Your excellent track file kept us going. Burt had a small problem, he had way points without the track file. Chuck had a Zumo 550, they can't take both files-- he had problems trying to navigate in tight places with many options on forks/trails, etc.
Both of them learned real quick-- "Follow Me" I KNOW WHERE THE TAT IS!!! When we were on the ATV trail from hell out of Salina, UT, we had about got our butts kicked by that road- there was a right turn down the hill that takes you to Kanosh-- both of them questioned if the road went through-- I was real happy to see we finally made it out of that real Hellhole of a road??

Thanks Mark!!

LeeU screwed with this post 09-14-2008 at 12:00 PM
Old 09-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #28
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeU
BigDog--
Hell no I didn't get lost, both of them were roaming around many miles in "no man's

land" a few times. Your excellent track file kept us going. Burt had a small problem, he had way points without the track file. Chuck had a Zumo 550, they can't take both files-- he had problems trying to navigate in tight places with many options on forks/trails, etc.
Both of them learned real quick-- "Follow Me" I KNOW WHERE THE TAT IS!!! When we were on the ATV trail from hell out of Salina, UT, we had about got our butts kicked by that road- there was a right turn down the hill that takes you to Kanosh-- both of them questioned if the road went through-- I was real happy to see we finally made it out of that real Hellhole of a road??

Thanks Mark!!
That was one steep ATV trail wasn't it? I think it is called the Piute trail or something like that.

Waiting for more.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #29
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,109
Wow, just got home from my little weekender out and I see this.

I tell you Burt sure does get around and I am glad Chuck was able to get out and play with the big boys... been awhile Chuck since Baja; hope all goes good for you. I just talked to my sister who lives in Houston she said there is still no electricity at her place my brothers and nieces so I truly hope it's good for you man.

As for the ride I laughed when I saw Burts camp site as I have never seen that guy use a tent, he has that attitude. "Wherever I am, well there I am" Gotta Love it! Looks to me like you had a great experience so far, and Burt will indeed keep all in stitches laughing throughout.

Patiently standing by for the power to return..

Chuck I hope everything is good...

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #30
"D"aily "R"ider 650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118

Semper Fi
"D"aily "R"ider 650 is offline   Reply With Quote