Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #61
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
More pics! Total miles: 158 to Dove Creek, Co.
LeeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #62
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Jul 28th. Left Dove Creek heading for Green River, UT- finally leaving Colorado.
Saw many mule deer today-- really big ones- a couple darted in front of me- knowing they were in charge! Great roads and ride into LaSal Natl Forest. Climbed up high and around the mountain range where we could finally see Moab! We had jackets on today- but soon the heat would be intense as we arrived in Moab! Had lunch and gassed up before heading into the heat and rocks of Utah.

Rocks and more rocks!!http://s476.photobucket.com/albums/rr124/leeu_01/?action=view&current=DSC01451.jpg" target="_blank">[IMG]
Green River State Park camp ground. Did I say it was HOT!!!

Then we were off to the best hamburger joint in many miles. Can't remember the cafe-- but it's the local's hangout!! Had afew Total miles: 193
Old 09-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #63
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

July 29th, departed Green River, ridding West-- using the most accurate track file of the TAT that exists-- everyone has had problems finding the way across the rail road tracks exiting town. Some have bypassed this portion and joined it past the junction of US 6 & I-70, we didn't. After cruising along the dirt road North of the tracks and not finding a crossing point- we back tracked and found a trussel under the tracks way back towards Green River.
After we went under the rails, the bank up the side of the hill was very steep! I opted for "Two Buck Chuck" to do the honors up the slope- about 50 ft of real "UP"! He rode my KLR over the "hump" and we were off to wards Black Dragon Gulch!
This was a jeep trail, rocky, slip rock steps over 12-18" high in spots. Saw very little evidence of any traffic through the "Black Dragon". We fought our way through- hot and along a long sandy/rocky stream bed. About 20 very tough miles! This was a very rough, challenging canyon- about the hardest of the TAT so far!!!
The road then leveled out until after the settlers cabin miles down the road, and then it became another tough/rocky/stair-step boulder ladened road again. I decided to let Chuck & Burt have at it and said I would meet them at Fremont Jct, about 25 miles West. I turned around and back tracked about 19 miles to the slab and headed for Fremont Jct.
After arriving at Fremont Jct-- I sat in the shade and waited. About 45 minutes later- Chuck & Burt appeared above me on Utah 72-- they decided the road was a tough ride and after ridding under I -70 for miles, and going through Eagle Canyon-they wanted to make Salina,UT before dark.
We rode the "Old Road" along I-70 for miles going through the two old tunnels, and proceeded to Salina, Ut. Chuck's father-in-law had a place for us to stay & re-stock, etc.
Total miles: 162

Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #64
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Total miles= 162 to Salina, UT

After a tough day-- we needed a break!!! A down day!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #65
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

One missing pic from Black Dragon Canyon-- a good one!!!

The canyon was awesome!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #66
CeeBee OP
The Cake Baker

Oddometer: 156
Leaving Lake city on the way to Dove Creek

Waiting for Bert and Ernie to finish "discussing" where we were - I decided to take the obligatory flower pick for Sherry - but didn't realize the camara dial turned to movie - Here it is anyway - Click it Sherry
[IMG]
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/cpbtx72/TAT/th_TAT037.jpg[/IMG]

I think this pic was already posted - but Burt took a good one

Missing the good passes I was glad to finally get to the fun stuff - a little wet, a little rocky - I even enjoyed watching the General FREAK OUT. Nothing he couldn't handle.

I lost my hat in Mexico last fall - The whole reason for riding the TAT was to go back to Silverton to get a new hat. Talked my compadre's into a little side trip.
Going down to Silverton

On the way into town, Met this - German or swiss guy on a DR650 just riding around solo. "I only ride solo", nobody else is worthy syndrome.
Not that solo riders are like that - just he had that attitude. Damn, I ride solo - Wonder if I put out that vibe???

It was Sunday morning and everybody was still drunk from the night before and moving slow. Had to wait thirty mins. before they would let me in.

Well I'm not a health nut but decided I needed something for my body since my buddies live on caffeine and alcohol. Ordered a fruit smoothy, that I didn't finish - but the thought was there. General Lee on the other hand needs supervision on his caffeine intake. I was afraid the by the time I got my hat, he would be vibrating in place. The bar finally let me in and didn't have the hat!!!! The bar girl saw that I was in distress and said she thinks there's one in the attic Lee would probably pound down a few more coffees by that time but if that's what it takes, I'm game. Well, GOT MY HAT - Woo Hoo

By the time I put the hat in my tank bag, Lee was in full dress revving up the engine - I said "shit, must of had six cups"

A little while later - The high anxiety, Caffeine incident. I think this is where Lee cracked his tool tube in half on a boulder that just spun him around. Burt broke his tool tube in half while we were working on his bike bake in OK. Two out of two tool tubes bit the dust!!!

Where the hell is Lee???

Dual sport one, dual sport one, this is rescue ranger - Should I bring more coffee, over.

More later, Chuck

CeeBee screwed with this post 09-24-2008 at 12:55 PM
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #67
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

July 30th was a down day in Salina,UT. We did laundry, repacked our gear, checked the bikes, Chuck changed oil, I fixed my broken tool tube (now about 4" shorter and better) and rested after 9 days on the TAT.
I evaluated my gear- seperated the stuff I had not used and lightened my load by 17lbs. I sent the "stuff" home. The bike felt lighter-- hopefully it was-- because the roughest part of the TAT lie ahead for me. The next day was tough one!!
Hanging out in Salina,Utah
Old 09-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #68
CeeBee OP
The Cake Baker

To back up a little, after Lee's bike fell asleep, We both hoisted it back on two wheels. With sweat dripping down both our foreheads, I noticed knee pads tied to the back of his bike. "Hey Lee, what's up with the knee pads?" - "I plan on putting them on when it gets rough" -- "Well, do you think this would be a good time?" - With a shit eating grin on his face, he unstrapped them.
Lee proudly sporting a nice set of knee pads

Don't get me wrong, I like Lee and we all crash - He just makes it so easy

Rolled into Dove Creek, Did waffle stomp laundry, and called my wife since we had a signal. She's been monitoring the SPOT I brought and said "your not at the motel, your next door" Man that thing is good, I better stay out of the brothels!! Big brothers watching you.
Leaving Dove Creek

Hey, Cool hand luke - where's the sardines?

Then, Boom - everything changed

Burt knew a bar maid from Washington that moved to Green River (didn't ask). He called and she met us at the local Hamburger/tavern. Nice girl with two jobs and four kids taking care of her grand mother. A hard row to hoe but she does it with a smile and is a women with character.

Set up camp at a state park

Rode out the next morning and followed a set of rail road tracks in the sand until the trail just petered out. Back tracked to an under pass/sand wash.

DEEP sand under it and a 90 degree right turn up a sand burm.
I was not informed yet but I was, evidently, elected "designated driver" while I slept!!

SO I mounted - Let me rephrase that - I got on the green KLR and after spitting sand made it over the burm. BUT I couldn't stand on the pegs! There were bags hanging everywhere. I now dub thee "The Chuck wagon"
NO not because I rode it - because He even brought his Goldwing's cappuccino machine - Have to admit it's nice in the mornings.

The Buttless brothers

Doing my duty

The settler's cabin

More later, Chuck

CeeBee screwed with this post 09-24-2008 at 04:02 PM
Old 09-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #69
CeeBee OP
The Cake Baker

Lee decided to go around and meet us later so Burt and I Moved forward. We encountered some of the roughest stuff on the trail so far and a LOT of FUN!!!
Here's Burt saying "let me at it"

The Poser

You find shade where you can - It was Hot---

Burt found a small hubcap and was going to frisbe it - Stop, it's a good souvenir

It was hot and hard riding up a twisting hill climb and right before the top in the easier stuff, Burt's bike gets tired. It won't start so we prop it up with a rock and wait. We could use the rest anyway.

The engine finally roars to life and we head out

Left the scene

Linked back up with Lee and headed for my father in-laws place in salina, UT.
Lee and all his stuff

Lee must have been on the road too long - "Hey Lee, Quit looking at my grandma like that"

She's actually my mother-in-law. Don't want to get in trouble!

More later, Chuck

CeeBee screwed with this post 09-24-2008 at 07:07 PM
Old 09-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #70
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
Still enjoying you're report. Waiting to see what you thought about the Piute atv trail. That should be coming up.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #71
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey fotobo--

It's coming up-- ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #72
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

July 31st-- we head to Baker,NV 204 miles away!
We pick up the TAT along an irrigation canal, and have fun avoiding the sagebrush that protrudes on both sides of the road- pick a track and try to keep the very large sagebrush from dragging you off the bike!
We are aware of Big Dog's warning about a concrete culvert that jumps out of nowhere and would give you a real thrill if you're looking around instead of paying attention (yeah- looking around- don't think so)!!
We make a slight detour to Richfield, Ut to the Walmart store. Seems Chuck is out of his gum- both Nicorette & Dentyne-- he stocks up on about 100+ packages- enough to get him a few days down the road and we're off climbing up from the valley to the Fishlake National Forest. The Paiute Trail!

We see the terrain level out after a couple of thousand feet climb. It becomes fairly flat, clay type roads, with evidence of many, many ruts from people traveling through here when it was wet!! Not a good plan!! This is where Vinnie the Snake and party got stuck in the mud/snow when they traveled along this route. It goes for miles of open, rolling, mostly red dirt.
Then we turn onto the ATV trail from HELL!!

This trail runs around the top of the Fishlake Natl Forest for about 230 miles (An ATV rider and his many riding pardoners filled us in).
More later.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #73
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeU
July 31st-- we head to Baker,NV 204 miles away!
We pick up the TAT along an irrigation canal, and have fun avoiding the sagebrush that protrudes on both sides of the road- pick a track and try to keep the very large sagebrush from dragging you off the bike!
We are aware of Big Dog's warning about a concrete culvert that jumps out of nowhere and would give you a real thrill if you're looking around instead of paying attention (yeah- looking around- don't think so)!!
We make a slight detour to Richfield, Ut to the Walmart store. Seems Chuck is out of his gum- both Nicorette & Dentyne-- he stocks up on about 100+ packages- enough to get him a few days down the road and we're off climbing up from the valley to the Fishlake National Forest. The Paiute Trail!

We see the terrain level out after a couple of thousand feet climb. It becomes fairly flat, clay type roads, with evidence of many, many ruts from people traveling through here when it was wet!! Not a good plan!! This is where Vinnie the Snake and party got stuck in the mud/snow when they traveled along this route. It goes for miles of open, rolling, mostly red dirt.
Then we turn onto the ATV trail from HELL!!

This trail runs around the top of the Fishlake Natl Forest for about 230 miles (An ATV rider and his many riding pardoners filled us in).
More later.

Guess I should have paid attention to Big Dog's warning. I got more than a scare from that culvert, I got scars from it.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #74
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

We meet many ATVs, whole families, they have chewed up the trail something awful. The ruts are deep, overhanging scrub oak and sagebrush are digging into your arms and shoulders!
It gets HOT! We hit rocks, steep up and downgrades, muddy creek beds, more rocks and it gets HOTTER!! I'm running out of water in my Camelback.

We're looking for shade, it starts to wear you down!
Then more rocks and------
This one breaks my hand brake lever at about the 2" mark. I have Chuck try to ride it up to the top of the very rocky section. He goes down, too! It isn't "if" it's "when"!
We take 4 hours from Richfield to Kanosh-- about 38 miles!!
We hit sand, run into a couple of ATVs coming from our intended route. They say it gets worse!! Chuck rides ahead and confirms it gets worse.
We had passed a track turn off to our right, my GPS shows go right-- Burt & Chuck don't think so. We had asked an ATV'er and he said the road just circles around and rejoins the road we're on.
After a "meeting", we turn around and take the track-- it's Big Dog & Gaspipe"s track.
We go a few miles-- up and down- get to a downgrade that's the steepest I've seen for about 500ft. I ease over the top in first gear, slide down the whole 5000 ft, Burt's behind me-- brakes locked and gaining on me. We barely get to the bottom without dumping. I thank God for my 606 & 908 tires!!
We get off the ATV trail from HELL and back to civilization-- Kanosh!!

This rocky section was steeper than the picture shows! As all riders know-- pictures don't tell the whole deal.

More later.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #75
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey fotobo,

I studied trip reports on the TAT, made a few notes and tried to tell Burt & Chuck what was coming up on a daily basis.
The culvert thing, I remembered from Big Dog's report-- almost forgot- but as you remember- is jumped out at you, luckily I wasn't going too fast!
Later, the warning on a big bike go around out of Baker,NV was used with Big Dog's way points to for Burt & Chuck to keep from getting "roughed up".

Lee