ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #19621
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,916
the 60csx (and similar models) were the first that used the SIRF II chipset... the prior one was absolute crap, and the unit would lose the signal in a hearbeat.... even in tree cover at falls lake. Junk. That was why I had the old GPSmap 60 and upgraded to the 60csx like you have...

I sold those on ebay and bought the 62s model.... you can upload your own maps - and there are a few websites where people have been developing custom topo maps for various parts of the US... so instead of paying garmin a lot of money for their horrible topo maps, I can get 1 :24000 maps for free for most states.... you can also upload images and then use that to navigate, or just get your own maps.

the 62s unit has a lot of nice features missing on the 60. Depends on what you want. I was happy with the 60 for a long time. Screen should be larger for a motorcycle - it's a bit small. For handheld navigation (mostly what I use it for) it's great.

the 62 lets you set all the options, and then save it as a profile - then you can quickly switch profiles without resetting a lot of settings (example: hiking and motorcycle prfiles are very different - different base map, show or don't show terrain features, setup of menu items). Lots more customization. Again - depends on what you want out of it.

There are a couple of "tricks" to get multiple basemaps loaded on these units too....

"If you don't like my driving, then stay off of the sidewalk!"
schnabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #19622
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

saw a bunch of inmates eating lunch in Southport, NC today. Didn't recognize anyone / the bikes - was in a hurry myself though. Saw a few ADV stickers :)

Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #19623
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnabba View Post
the 62s unit has a lot of nice features missing on the 60. Depends on what you want. I was happy with the 60 for a long time.
Very true the 62s is a decent upgrade on the 60csx. For me it's not enough of an upgrade to justify the cost of upgrading.

When creating the 62s Garmin didn't improve on some of the key areas that I'd like to see an upgrade such as the number of waypoints you can store in a single track or the way it handles segmented tracks. If garmin had done that, getting a 62s would have been a no-brainer for me.

I like the profiles addition but you can build your own custom maps for the 60csx too, or add other peoples custom topos...if you know how. I haven't had need to use imagery with mine so I don't know if it can be done on the 60. One thing I do really like about the 62s is the ability to easily switch between stored maps. But, there are almost as easy ways to do that with the 60 unit too. Lot's of little tricks out there that you can use to improve the performance of these units.

Though I won't be upgrading to the 62s, most people would find it a justifiable upgrade just like Schnabba, and where you stand on it just depends on whether you have need of or want the new features that Garmin incorporated in the 62s.

62s is twice the price of the 60csx...

What I really want and probably will never find within my budget is a Rino 530hcx...having the two way frs/pmrs integrated into the GPS would be ideal for me at work. Would save me having to carry both a radio and a gps around.

Flashback screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 08:56 PM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #19624
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

higher resolution / larger screen would be nice. Getting older it gets harder to see the thing but yeah - the 60csx had that nicer receiver... the older one you would have hated.... it couldn't get a satellite lock in downtown raleigh.... the newer one can see doppler shift, so it picks up direct, and reflected signals.... it's quite a unit.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #19625
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
NC TOR 963

Punt...(you can thank my wife for telling me to share. LOL)

FYI: I'm almost out file tags in the hills region so if the hillbillies want to play this summer someone in the hills better get in the saddle and pick this one up before a flatlander drives all the way out there and brings it back to the coastal plain (again).

Damn why did I leave for SC early TODAY??

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #19626
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
saw a bunch of inmates eating lunch in Southport, NC today. Didn't recognize anyone / the bikes - was in a hurry myself though. Saw a few ADV ]
Not sure but looks like it may be a fewvA51 guys and the KTM on the far right MIGHT be Roosters. I know Rooster has a rental at the beach that he occasionally has dinners at but not usually during peak rental season.
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #19627
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
Not sure but looks like it may be a fewvA51 guys and the KTM on the far right MIGHT be Roosters. I know Rooster has a rental at the beach that he occasionally has dinners at but not usually during peak rental season.
the thing on the far right is a vstrom. The rest are beemers. funny thing - I saw them all ride off, thought that would be it (I was walking around taking pictures like I do)... so later I decided to ride on over to the lighthouse at oak island (even if it is a boring one).... and the rental across from the coast guard station (Grabbing file tags for later) - all the bikes were parked in the driveway across from the station! hahaa!! funny how that works.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #19628
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:
(Grabbing file tags for later)
Well that makes at least 3 of us who grabbed the NC Tag this weekend who have file tags on the coast waiting to be used.

Methinks the tag will see the ocean next time it lands back within striking distance of Raleigh.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #19629
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well that makes at least 3 of us who grabbed the NC Tag this weekend who have file tags on the coast waiting to be used.

Methinks the tag will see the ocean next time it lands back within striking distance of Raleigh.

yeah man! got a few others down that way too.... I'm totally gonna send it to the water if I get it.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #19630
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,343
They sure picked a good place to eat. Provisions is good eats!

<>< Fish

Quote:
saw a bunch of inmates eating lunch in Southport, NC today. Didn't recognize anyone / the bikes - was in a hurry myself though. Saw a few ADV stickers :)

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #19631
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Try to find a Zumo 220. It is the smallest of the Zumo's, but is plenty big and comes stripped down with the basics. Do you really need the GPS to talk to a bluetooth headset?

Zumo's are motorcycle specific Garmins. They are ruggedized and sealed. You're paying for that, and the fact that it will do everything you tell it to do. Lesser models don't let you plan full routes, don't let you turn off auto-reroute, block roads, etc. It took me a long time to justify spending that much money. I found my 220 for $319.

You might also check out the Nuvi. There is a Nuvi, (i don't recall the model) that is the Zumo 220 on the outside, but without a lot of the Zumo options.

Being able to turn off reroute means a lot when you hit the trails.

The Nuvi 500 and Nuvi 550 are pretty good all purpose GPS units also. I have a Nuvi 500 that works well in the Jeep, boat, kayak and motocycle.

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 07-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #19632
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
the thing on the far right is a vstrom. The rest are beemers. funny thing - I saw them all ride off, thought that would be it (I was walking around taking pictures like I do)... so later I decided to ride on over to the lighthouse at oak island (even if it is a boring one).... and the rental across from the coast guard station (Grabbing file tags for later) - all the bikes were parked in the driveway across from the station! hahaa!! funny how that works.
I meant far left.... I think I know what a Vee looks like
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #19633
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
I meant far left.... I think I know what a Vee looks like
LOL. I'm not seeing it. This must be a Rorschach test because what I see in the far left is a nice looking white BMW 650GS.

Flashback screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 09:31 AM
Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #19634
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
lonewolf97

[Rule # 99 by agent get smart says no nonfuctioning motorcycles can be used for tags I' m going to have me a pepsi after work today. UOTE=Flashback;19240244]NC TOR 963

Punt...(you can thank my wife for telling me to share. LOL)

FYI: I'm almost out file tags in the hills region so if the hillbillies want to play this summer someone in the hills better get in the saddle and pick this one up before a flatlander drives all the way out there and brings it back to the coastal plain (again).

[/QUOTE]
lonewolf97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #19635
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
LOL. I'm not seeing it. This must be a Rorschach test because what I see in the far left is a nice looking white BMW 650GS.
not sure "nice" and "looking" are the right words for that sentence.

hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote