ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #19681
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
I think the hillbillies are just out of practice. I've seen them do some serious tagging in the past. Let them find out that it's in their neck of the woods again and I bet it starts rocking again.

On the other hand, I like it when it's within reach of my house...
Safe from me now. My ride plans have changed. Going bushwacking on the bike instead of chasing the tag this weekend.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #19682
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Safe from me now. My ride plans have changed. Going bushwacking on the bike instead of chasing the tag this weekend.
damn just what i wish i could do...I think its time to head up to Fox's in Roxboro for a lookie look...
Dont Speak Unless You Can Improve Upon The Silence!
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #19683
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
damn just what i wish i could do...I think its time to head up to Fox's in Roxboro for a lookie look...
bet you could get this plated:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/3174553591.html
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #19684
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
wow...thats a great buy...I'd want it to be street legal though
Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #19685
hscrugby
"That guy"

Quote:
wow...thats a great buy...I'd want it to be street legal though
it's a euro bike. they don't say "for off road use only" little work, and you'd have a plate in no time.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #19686
hscrugby
"That guy"

Quote:
That's tough (but apparently not impossible) to do with a VIN that indicates Off Road Only.
ktm doesn't put the off road only on there. why do you think you see the 2 stroke ktms rocking plates around here? (I don't think any of the euro ones do)
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #19687
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB View Post
It's not about more displacement. It's about a lighter piston and a new set of rings. Older black engine KLRs can't do the larger 685 0r 705 kits.
Thanks, I learned something today. Did not know that kit was made. Lighter piston means a lot. I have the 705 in my 09, even with the larger displacement, the piston is much lighter than stock. Cut way down on the vibration.
Davo-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #19688
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,786
Erik, my plan is to buy a DRz or something similar to that. The 650 is a little big for me offroad, of I would have kept the KLR. Besides the vibration part I added all kinds of farkles to my KLR before I sold it to, had it set up exactly the way I wanted it, then found my Buell that lasted 2 months
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #19689
luni
Non-artic explorer

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
Erik, my plan is to buy a DRz or something similar to that. The 650 is a little big for me offroad, of I would have kept the KLR. Besides the vibration part I added all kinds of farkles to my KLR before I sold it to, had it set up exactly the way I wanted it, then found my Buell that lasted 2 months
I know we talked about it a while back but the offer still stands if you want to kick the tires on my DRZ and see how you like it. Personally I think I might try to find a dealer tomorrow with a Super Tenere in stock. After looking at the 800cc dual sports, and the stroms, and the big 1000cc+ bikes the yamaha looks like the balance I'm looking for. 800cc isn't enough street bike, strom isn't enough dirt bike, and every other liter bike is just to much of everything else I don't really need. We'll see.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #19690
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 11,346
Quote:
I'm not going to be able to jump on this in time, but someone here should if they can.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813905
I am looking too btw, but this is to big for me... I am looking for something lightweight to beat up in the woods - preferably on trade for my DR (I'll miss my pig)
Old 08-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #19691
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Yamaha WR250 Sweet!

Like this but its still a little high $$...but this would be perfect size,weight displacement...I hear they can be uncorked and can really rip it up...I'd still want all the street legal lights tho
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/3120719277.html
Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #19692
hscrugby
"That guy"

Quote:
Like this but its still a little high $$...but this would be perfect size,weight displacement...I hear they can be uncorked and can really rip it up...I'd still want all the street legal lights tho
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/3120719277.html
almost impossible to get a wr250f streetable in NC from what I hear. Shows up in some magical DB, and you're hosed.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #19693
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
almost impossible to get a wr250f streetable in NC from what I hear. Shows up in some magical DB, and you're hosed.
crap wrong model...of the right bike.... I want the model with the lights already on it... Like this one except now i'd have to find a set of off road wheels and tires...
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/3156004683.html

STBNE screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 08:35 PM
Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #19694
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,096
Well I'm good with the DR. I wouldn't mind a big ole Harley Road King to go with it though. I actually like the pretty trim and chrome.

800cc adv bikes aren't enough street or enough dirt for me. 1200+ Adv bikes are just too pretty (and costly) to ride the way I like to ride. Little ADV bikes aren't that comfortable on 1000 mile days and can't haul around enough stuff to justify not simply keeping them un-plated and ripping up the single track.

TE610 seems nice but I've heard of some disasters in the rear end. Apparently there isn't enough sub-frame to load em up the way many adv riders want to load up a bike. Too much weight and crack-a-roo...there goes the frame.

DR is it for me. Can bury it up to the seat in mud then turn around and throw the groceries in the hard bags and strap a 50LB bag of dog food on top of all of it, without having to give it a bath or undertake major wrenching, then turn around and do a thousand mile day the next day, then keep on riding till the tires fall apart.

A few choice mods and it's smooth riding, even on full knobs, and power to accelerate away from traffic at highway speeds too.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #19695
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

bike might do 1000 miles the next day but could /would you really ride it that far in one shot? Hard enuf on a comfortable Road King type machine but on a 650 single? You're a better man than i...