ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #20971
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
LoneWolf97

Don't think it will wait till Nov. 3rd huh. Grab it Joe and bring it to my mailbox with the ABC tag. Steaks will be cooking on the grill when you get here.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #20972
DEPARKER1817
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
"20 minutes from my house"
I didn't know I was anywhere near Bryson City. I was just following that group of Hooligans on the way to ride something called the Revere Loop off Lonesome Mountain Rd.
A local on a 990 Super Duke said "follow me I know some good roads".................Whoooooooooooooooooooooo!!
DEPARKER1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #20973
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPARKER1817 View Post
"20 minutes from my house"
I didn't know I was anywhere near Bryson City. I was just following that group of Hooligans on the way to ride something called the Revere Loop off Lonesome Mountain Rd.
A local on a 990 Super Duke said "follow me I know some good roads".................Whoooooooooooooooooooooo!!
I actually live in Sylva but I work in and around Bryson City. My cabins are 12 miles West of BC in the Nantahala Gorge. It'a 37 mile commute for me. Leaving now BTW so you better head out if you're planning on brucing me. I still have to get home to post up so if you've got one of 'em smarty phones, then you may still have a chance.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #20974
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

1007 is grabbed!

Fines Creek Cafe AKA Furguson's Supply on the corner of Hwy 109 and Max Patch Rd. It was closer to 30 minutes from my house but I'm not complaining.

After getting out to ride, I couldn't come straight home on such a beautiful afternoon. So I stayed out exploring until sunset. I even found the next tag which I'll post up shortly. Working out the clues right now. Stay tuned...
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #20975
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Tag 1008

OK.

I said I would tuck it away but I think that anyone who goes after this will be rewarded with a great ride with some spectacular Fall colors. There is about 5 miles of gravel but it is well maintained and could be traversed by any bike though it is a hoot on a DS bike.

This is the tag shot. This is a big gravel pullout where the better maintained road ends. If you go farther, the road gets rougher but the views get way better because of some recent logging activity.

Here is your main clue. I took this waypoint right where my bike was sitting in the tag shot. I took the picture in my carport.

This shot shows the gravel pullout.

This shot is a sample of the views if you continue to head up the rougher road.

If you are squeemish of the gravel, I'll accept a picture of this sign. The road turns to gravel right after this. Like I said, any bike can go up with enough time.

LMK if anyone needs more clues. I think you can figure it out with the main clue given. I'm really not trying to be a DICK but I think any bike in the hands of a confident rider can make it up this.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #20976
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,361
If only it wouldn't take me two days to get there on the Ural.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 AM   #20977
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,157
Hey guys, not sure if it's available, but if there's some decent DSing to be done in the Surry/Stokes area (or even close) I sure would love to hear about it (and go on a ride) in November. I'll be back home on leave and would love to get a ride in. Shoot me a PM if you can, thanks!

SR1 screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 09:35 PM
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #20978
DEPARKER1817
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Hey Joe, did you make the Grab on the Tractor or Bike?
Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood?
DEPARKER1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #20979
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPARKER1817 View Post
Hey Joe, did you make the Grab on the Tractor or Bike?
Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood?
Yeah, I'm all set with my first file tag for the NC John Deere Tag-O-Rama.. Gorgeous weather today. Definitely a nice day to be riding in the mountains of Jackson County.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #20980
old-n-slow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
I know where this tag is! And with my new eyesight, compliments of the Asheville VA, I just might go hunting it down, but can't 'til Friday. So, if you want it, the clock is ticking.

09 Super Sherpa
09 KLR650
old-n-slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #20981
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,234
I have been lusting after a dual sport bike for a long time and today while getting my bike inspected at the local stealership I spotted a nice 2007 DR650 setting in the show room. I took it out for a test ride and it fit me like it was made for me. It has less than 10k miles looks new and rides like a new bike. The Corbin seat made for a really comfy ride.

I am now in love... Maybe the stars will line up just right for me on this one.

<>< Fish

Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #20982
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunt View Post
I have been lusting after a dual sport bike for a long time and today while getting my bike inspected at the local stealership I spotted a nice 2007 DR650 setting in the show room. I took it out for a test ride and it fit me like it was made for me. It has less than 10k miles looks new and rides like a new bike. The Corbin seat made for a really comfy ride.

I am now in love... Maybe the stars will line up just right for me on this one.

<>< Fish

Hope that works for you Fish!! Nice! I should have read the thread, been by the Cafe three times on my bike I think since it was the tag...last time today about noon

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #20983
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,575
Good taggin Joe! I had rather see you make that grab anyway. If I had known you were over there, ida bought you a burger

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #20984
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 584
tag 1008

Joe, If you can and don't mind I would like for you to recheck the cordinates you gave for the tag. I spent about 4 hours trying to go to the site today and it keeps coming up in Tenn. in the smokey mt. park. I came home and ran it on a delerome mapping software and it still came up at the same location in tenn just south of gattlinburg. Don't under stand what's going on. I was up there getting a tag shot for the ABC game. I'll be posting over there shortly.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #20985
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog View Post
Joe, If you can and don't mind I would like for you to recheck the cordinates you gave for the tag. I spent about 4 hours trying to go to the site today and it keeps coming up in Tenn. in the smokey mt. park. I came home and ran it on a delerome mapping software and it still came up at the same location in tenn just south of gattlinburg. Don't under stand what's going on. I was up there getting a tag shot for the ABC game. I'll be posting over there shortly.
Use googlemaps and put in the coordinates except use a negative sign for the West coordinate.
35.43828,-83.23515 That should get you in the ballpark. Remember, I tucked it into the woods so get on the right road, follow it to the end and you'll find it. It is definitely not in TN. I took the picture in my carport and the tag is only 4.61 miles from my house (as the crow flies).