ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #21166
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 702
lincoln grab

Nice grab joe. I kinda figured you might come down out of the hills and grab that one. Guess you'll be taking back to the high country with you. If I could get a hold of it I would take it east and drop it in ridingdonkeys mailbox. I have the north american tag now and am going to take it to kitty hawk midweek. I think he lives pretty close to my route to the outer banks .mr eggy is looking forward to going back to kitty hawk.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #21167
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,902
New Tag

Tag 1016 Just went back and checked and best I can tell, we are up to Tag 1016.

Thought I would throw up another historical marker. I think you can get all the clues needed from the picture. That's my dad's bike which is living with me while I try to sell it for him. It's a '96 Vulcan 800 classic. Runs great with a little over 23,500 miles on it. He's asking $2000 but i know he'd take $1800 for it. I'm not too anxious for him to sell it as I enjoy riding the rumbly cruiser once in a while.

Here's the view looking up the street in the other direction. This should confirm the location for anyone who's unsure.

JoeWannaB screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 02:43 PM
JoeWannaB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #21168
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog View Post
... 2 rally wins and several top 5 finishes...

I should delete my sig line, I feel like such a .

_anatic screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 03:47 PM
_anatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #21169
Flasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
way to go

great grab . sure didn't take long. what a nice day for a ride.
Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #21170
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,189
That's a nice lookin Vulcan Joe. You should keep it for long distance riding. I know that street! My girls are coming home today I don't have a good reason to ride up. Leave it there till Jan. Maybe I could use your dad's Vulcan for the grab. That would be a good head scratcher. Or bring my own 95 Vulcan 500

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #21171
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

I thought about taking the Vulcan off his hands but I like the current arrangement better. I house it, maintain it and I get to ride it whenever I want. He pays the insurance and any expendables like oil and filters. My wife wants it gone though. With the kayaks, bicycles, 4 motorcycles and her Prius, our carport is jam packed. Sure was a nice day today at the tag site. I sure hope it doesn't sit til January.

Is that a Paralell Twin or a big single? I thought all the Vulcans were V Twins? Nice looking bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf97 View Post
That's a nice lookin Vulcan Joe. You should keep it for long distance riding. I know that street! My girls are coming home today I don't have a good reason to ride up. Leave it there till Jan. Maybe I could use your dad's Vulcan for the grab. That would be a good head scratcher. Or bring my own 95 Vulcan 500

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #21172
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Another beautiful day here in the mountains. Not a cloud in the sky and the sun is feeling nice and warm. I hope some underemployed hillbilly will venture out and grab this one today. It would be nice to do some tag chasing over the holiday. Here's my tightly packed toy box.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #21173
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,189
LoneWolf97

Looks a lot neater than the last time I saw it.
My Vulcan is a 2 cylinder parallel. 95 with 16k miles on it. Belonged to Nancy's brother that passed away 11 yrs ago today from a heart attack. He was my buddy too.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #21174
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB View Post
I hope some underemployed hillbilly will venture out and grab this one today.
I resemble that remark!

GRAB

doogiepooch screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 01:40 PM
doogiepooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #21175
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

TAG # 1017

I'm going to suck at this clue thing but here goes.....(I'll add more if this isn't as simple as it sounds to me)

In Haywood county, this forest service road turns off a road named after the lake it passes. The lake was once owned by Champion International and was used to entertain high profile clients back in the mills prime. There is even a disused airstrip at the south end of the lake. But the entire thing was sold to the Episcopal church a few years back and they have turned it into a retreat.

The pic is at the start of a fork off a forest service road. For those of you that don't know most forest service roads have a main road...in this case FS road 97, then all the split offs will usually be 97A, 97B etc etc etc. So I'm sitting at the intersection of the main FS road 97 that turns off the main road and the trail that forks off it, 97H, also known as trial 142 as indicated by the carved sign under the FS sign.

You don't have to bring your dual sport to grab this but there is one low water bridge crossing, depth 5 inches or so plus a spot or 2 where a spring crossed the road and the road turns squishy for 5 feet or so but nothing crazy. Notice how clean the bike is......you know it can't be to bad. This is basically hard pack with little gravel, a nice road even for a street bike. If you did bring your dual sport I encourage you to ride down the trail (and tell me what it's like I was tempted but didn't venture down it). But I did ride to the end of the main FS97 road which took approx 20 minutes, it was a nice ride with a rewarding view or 2 and a couple of nice small waterfalls.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #21176
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Glad you grabbed it Doogie! I love the looks of that KLR! Is that a 2013??? Looks like Kawi has brought back the black engine and it looks great! They haven't had black engines since 1996 IIRC. I'm going to have to do some hunting to find your tag but I think I will enjoy looking for it.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #21177
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Even having owned a KLR, I've never thought much of their looks, but yours looks nicer than any I've seen. By a good margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB View Post
Glad you grabbed it Doogie! I love the looks of that KLR! Is that a 2013??? Looks like Kawi has brought back the black engine and it looks great! They haven't had black engines since 1996 IIRC. I'm going to have to do some hunting to find your tag but I think I will enjoy looking for it.
Thanks guys....it's a 2012. I've tried to add some mods to it without changing the overall look to much.

Hint......the road the FS road turns off of connects Rosman HWY (Hwy 64) to Canton, if you have time, go all the way to Rosman Hwy, take a right and loop back home. It's a good ride.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #21178
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
Thanks guys....it's a 2012. I've tried to add some mods to it without changing the overall look to much.

Hint......the road the FS road turns off of connects Rosman HWY (Hwy 64) to Canton, if you have time, go all the way to Rosman Hwy, take a right and loop back home. It's a good ride.

I think I know the general area. Just don't know exactly where 97 cuts off that road but if memory serves, there aren't too many roads off that particular road. Might have to give it a go tomorrow morning. Just have to be home in time for turkey dinner.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #21179
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
I still miss my 06 KLR once in a while. I enjoyed riding it most of the time. It was just a pig for anything other than pavement.

You got this via Crapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #21180
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Turkey Day Grab!

Great day for riding. Thanks for a great place to ride to. Found it easily. FS97H sign on FS97 off of Hwy 215 AKA Lake Logan Rd at sunburst Rec. Area. I continued up 215 after having to head back to Bethel for some needed petro. I hit reserve while riding to the end of FS97. It is a very nice road though there were many hunters out there and I heard lots of shots being taken. Made me wish I was wearing blaze orange. I spotted a wildlife rescource officer so no day off for him.

I took 215 past the parkway and headed back towards Sylva on Charleys Creek Rd past Balsam Lake and Lodge (still no water in the lake). I then took 281 to 107 through WCU and then back home in time to clean up for Turkey. All in all about 125 mile pleasure trip. Just what the Dr. ordered. I'll try to post up the new tag soon. I just need to get my clues straight.