ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #21181
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,911
Tag 1018

This one is a bit further West from the previous tag. The people who live on this road seem to never have enough. Should be plenty of clues in the photos to find it. You can stay on 100% pavement or you can ride a little fast gravel to get to it.

You will see this nearby.

Here's a Closeup of the sign so you can read it. Now go get it!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #21182
JGNC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
I resemble that remark!

GRAB

I never thought I'd say this but that's one nice KLR!
Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #21183
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Grab

doogiepooch screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 05:35 PM
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #21184
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,292
Nice job guys. Going to be cold this weekend.

Where is it going next.

Also guys the Eastern ADV dinner is going to be Sunday at 2pm. Mac's Speed Shop in Fayetteville. Check out the dinner thread for details.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...49043&page=245
Feel free to come out and join the guys.

Ray

truck6driver screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 05:59 PM
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #21185
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Tag # 1019

Hint: This spot is almost directly above "the tunnel" in the largest city in WNC. The bridge belongs to a woman named Helen who hung herself from it many years ago after the death of her daughter. It's supposedly haunted and many who have been there have experinced car trouble among other creepiness, I didn't shut my bike off, didn't want to chance it. In my own creepy, no bs moment, my dash lights died while walking back to my bike after taking this photo....my bike is a 2012! If your bike does die, it's a very short walk back down the hill to the Greyhound bus station.

First off, this isn't really where I intended to drop this. Joe I made a meal out of your grab, left the house about 10:15 grabbed the tag with no real solid plan of where I wanted to drop the new one. My intention was Mt Mitchell but heading back home I'd always wanted to ride Hwy 28 so I cut across and ended up in Franklin. Then I thought heck I might as well run up to Highlands. Got hit on main street there by a stupid holiday shopper trying to back up to do a quick grab of a parking spot she had passed with little concern of what was behind her. Luckily her bumper just center punched my front tire and I was able to keep it upright. Appologies accepted I headed in Cashiers then into Brevard. By this time it was getting late in the day so I dashed up Parkway Road and up FS#140 to drop the tag. But remembered Parkway road is the opposite end of Lake Logan where I'd dropped the last tag so I decided that was no good. Then I thought of a spot, not what I'd call scenic but hopefully fun none the less and barely got it in before sundown.

doogiepooch screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 06:05 PM
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #21186
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
Tag # 1019

:snip:

:snip:
That's a really awesome scene, headlight and all! I got a real good idea about your whole day just from that one pic. Thank You!

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #21187
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB View Post
Great day for riding. Thanks for a great place to ride to. Found it easily. FS97H sign on FS97 off of Hwy 215 AKA Lake Logan Rd at sunburst Rec. Area. I continued up 215 after having to head back to Bethel for some needed petro. I hit reserve while riding to the end of FS97. It is a very nice road though there were many hunters out there and I heard lots of shots being taken. Made me wish I was wearing blaze orange. I spotted a wildlife rescource officer so no day off for him.

I took 215 past the parkway and headed back towards Sylva on Charleys Creek Rd past Balsam Lake and Lodge (still no water in the lake). I then took 281 to 107 through WCU and then back home in time to clean up for Turkey. All in all about 125 mile pleasure trip. Just what the Dr. ordered. I'll try to post up the new tag soon. I just need to get my clues straight.

I think that gate just beyond the low water crossing is only open in the deer hunting season or am I thinking about the wrong one? The one I am thinking about is right behind the Sunburst camp ground..... Usually this road will be gated off about 6-7 miles out even when the deer season is open...good mountain biking loops off to the right of this road ranging from 8 to 14 mile loops the lower of which comes down McClure Creek. There used to be a town there during the logging operation by Sunburst Lumber Company and I have seen a 360 degree photo of the town. My great uncles worked on the railroad then.

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #21188
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

You are correct Aarrff. This is the road directly behind Sunburst and I believe I did read on the web that this gate is only open during hunting season which explains all the hunters I saw as I cruised up. I did run into a locked gate as I was just topping the ridge. I did see pretty obvious signs of two wheel ride around activity at that gate but maybe those were mtn bike riders.

I'm glad you had a good day's ride Doogiepooch though I am sorry you had that run in. Sounds like you got off lucky without any serious damage. I would really like to go after that tag but I think I'm going to be too busy this coming week as our Swain Maroon Devils will be heading to Raleigh to play in the State 1AA Championship game for the 2nd year in a row. We just pulled off a 28 to 21 win agains a very, very talented Monroe Redhawk team. We were behind 21 - 0 halfway through the 2nd quarter. Was a really exciting game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrff View Post
I think that gate just beyond the low water crossing is only open in the deer hunting season or am I thinking about the wrong one? The one I am thinking about is right behind the Sunburst camp ground..... Usually this road will be gated off about 6-7 miles out even when the deer season is open...good mountain biking loops off to the right of this road ranging from 8 to 14 mile loops the lower of which comes down McClure Creek. There used to be a town there during the logging operation by Sunburst Lumber Company and I have seen a 360 degree photo of the town. My great uncles worked on the railroad then.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #21189
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 736
north american tag

ok riding man. I got the north american tag posted in your back yard and you got all weekend to grab it. You better hurry though, I'm sure it wont be there long.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #21190
JGNC
Gnarly Adventurer

If this tag is still around this weekend then I may have to go drag it back to my new home that's east of I-77. I suppose I should change my location now...
Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #21191
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGNC View Post
If this tag is still around this weekend then I may have to go drag it back to my new home that's east of I-77. I suppose I should change my location now...
East of I-77!? What drew you out of the mountains and into civilization? Indoor plumbing? Electricity?

Just kidding. If I had my druthers, I'd be holed up in a mountain cabin for the rest of my days.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #21192
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Quote:
Now that's motivation for me to sneak away and grab it so I can hide it somewhere far out West.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #21193
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:

I guess the move went OK for you Jesse?
Hope you settle in to your new pad.
Chandler
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #21194
old-n-slow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Off topic, but ............ooooooooooooooooooooo, do I want this???

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/11/12...0x-first-look/

I always liked 500s.....

09 Super Sherpa
09 KLR650
old-n-slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #21195
JGNC
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallowskiff View Post
I guess the move went OK for you Jesse?
Hope you settle in to your new pad.
Chandler
Yes, it went well. Just a few days after I got my bike up here my car had a little rod bearing failure on I-77. ghead: Now I'm two wheeling it every where for now. :cool: