ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #21196
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-n-slow View Post
Off topic, but ............ooooooooooooooooooooo, do I want this???

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/11/12...0x-first-look/

I always liked 500s.....
I like the 500 CBR, that with some nice color matched Givi V35's and it would make a great like sport touring mount I think. I'm anxious to see how it revs. Back in Sept my buddy bought the NC700X (500's big borther) and I have to say I'm not a fan. I've logged a few miles on it, supposedly it was developed for the automatic transmission and with the automatic its great. But he got the manual. It doesn't really start to pull till like 3,500 rpms, but redlines at 6,500. So it's constant shifting to keep it out of redline. It doesn't sound like it's working hard either and it's very smooth which makes it even worse, you know know you are even close to redline till you feel the engine cut out. So he's already banged it off the rev limiter a dozen times no even trying to. But supposeldy the 700 was tuned purely for economy so maybe the 500 will be better in that department. Doesn't if have the tank in the rear like the 700 and the storage compartment up front? That storage spot is pretty handy. The 700 is like having a smooth reving, quick to build power single cylinder. It's great but it builds it so fast it's literally like throttle, shift, throttle, shift, throttle, shift. There is no wind out at all.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #21197
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
I like the 500 CBR, that with some nice color matched Givi V35's and it would make a great like sport touring mount I think. I'm anxious to see how it revs. Back in Sept my buddy bought the NC700X (500's big borther) and I have to say I'm not a fan. I've logged a few miles on it, supposedly it was developed for the automatic transmission and with the automatic its great. But he got the manual. It doesn't really start to pull till like 3,500 rpms, but redlines at 6,500. So it's constant shifting to keep it out of redline. It doesn't sound like it's working hard either and it's very smooth which makes it even worse, you know know you are even close to redline till you feel the engine cut out. So he's already banged it off the rev limiter a dozen times no even trying to. But supposeldy the 700 was tuned purely for economy so maybe the 500 will be better in that department. Doesn't if have the tank in the rear like the 700 and the storage compartment up front? That storage spot is pretty handy. The 700 is like having a smooth reving, quick to build power single cylinder. It's great but it builds it so fast it's literally like throttle, shift, throttle, shift, throttle, shift. There is no wind out at all.
There's a pretty big discussion about the new 500's over in road warriors. I was thinking hard about the 700 but didn't like the rev limiter and I don't like how they have the header routed below the bottom frame. No aftermarket skidplate for that one. it is my understanding that the 500 will have a traditional tank. It looks to address my concerns about the 700. Only time will tell. Besides, I'm loving my KLR after the top end rebuilrd too much.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #21198
bondatomic
expert noob

Oddometer: 39
Duc dealers in NC

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but...

Do you guys know what the best Ducati dealer and possibly salesman is in North Carolina? I live in Iowa (unfortunately) but would like to buy an 848 Streetfighter there and ride it back. I'm thinking the dealer in Charlotte, but if you guys have any good (or bad) experiences, let me know!

Thanks
John
bondatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #21199
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,314
Grab.

Helen's Haunted Bridge in Asheville...it's a maze of twisty little roads on that hill but I believe College was the name of the one that passed underneath it. google map linky

knybanjo screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 02:52 PM
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #21200
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Well Done! So how many years since you've posted a tag KNYBanjo??? Was wondering if you remembered how! Where to now???
Old 11-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #21201
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB View Post
Well Done! So how many years since you've posted a tag KNYBanjo??? Was wondering if you remembered how! Where to now???
Thanks...but I think it's only been since April for my last NC tag.

There's lots of info on google about Helen's Haunted Bridge in Asheville. It's a private bridge that's no longer in use and is gated off, overgrown and posted No Tresspassing so I didn't try to cross it.

The bridge is camouflaged in the center of this pic and used to access the property across the way there....

A reverse angle parked in the switchback and former driveway entrance...

I took a pic from each side then matched 'em when I got home. Oh, no chills or mechanical troubles haunted me today.

New Tag to follow in just a bit.....
Old 11-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #21202
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Nice exporation job/photos, I've always been to creeped out to explore....although in my defense it's always dusk or dark when I've been there. It's more intimidating then!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #21203
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
Nice exporation job/photos, I've always been to creeped out to explore....although in my defense it's always dusk or dark when I've been there. It's more intimidating then!
Just reading those stories of disturbed Indian graves and burned castles etc. is enough to spook ya!! The location is definitely spooky looking....I imagine it would be fun on a foggy night!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #21204
knybanjo
kinda slow

New TAG.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #21205
knybanjo
kinda slow

Looks like somebody took the 'PASTRIES' but if you're Hunger gets to ya and you're Game, 'CAKES' are still advertised in this District. Go ahead and ask for a Dozen.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #21206
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Very cool tag! My ride is blown appart getting luggage and heated grips put on, hopefully it stands till early weekend but probably not that lucky.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #21207
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

DejaVu!!! I really wanted to go after this once before and now I'm occupied until next week so it looks like I'll miss it again. It is a really cool tag.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #21208
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB View Post
DejaVu!!! I really wanted to go after this once before and now I'm occupied until next week so it looks like I'll miss it again. It is a really cool tag.
Ahh shit...sorry for the repeat, I haven't been paying attention.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #21209
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Ahh shit...sorry for the repeat, I haven't been paying attention.
No worries. I really mean it when I say it is a cool tag and I wish I could go for it this time. How many times did we tag that Guilford Mill the first year of this game???? At least it wasn't the same laundromat. My only concern is it is technically in jump ball territory and some flatlander is going to take it to the beach where it will sit til spring.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #21210
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,878
It is safe from this flatlander. I'm even on vacation right now, but trekking 150 miles each way on super slab is no bueno, and I don't trust my Bonnie lights at night. (Working a solution for that one).

We need one of those Piedmont dudes to rescue it. Rev........Jarhead.......where ya at!?

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote