ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #21871
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,152
The ride down 64 is pretty awesome. I try and go to Waterfall land a few times per yr.

Take hwy 64 from Franklin to Highlands. This places the scenic views on your right side so you can see much better.

While you are in the area, Whitewater falls is nice as well. Highest waterfall on East coast. Also, there are a few very scenic falls in the DuPont state forest. Hunger Games was filmed here.

Heck, there are waterfalls everywhere you turn in this area! I love it!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #21872
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Pine creek? Where can that be? Is it time for me and my friend Glen to visit my daughter at WCU again? And a little Robin told me about an egg he left a little farther west of Sylvia too.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #21873
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf97 View Post
Pine creek? Where can that be? Is it time for me and my friend Glen to visit my daughter at WCU again? And a little Robin told me about an egg he left a little farther west of Sylvia too.
I thought I would give this a little bump from Pg. 3 and apologize for dropping the ball. I know exactly where this is (I think) and it is killing me that I can't make a run for it. Where's Aarrff and the other Hillbilly regulars???? Even if I did have the time.... My wife has my bikes blocked in with a china cabinet restoration project in the carport and it seems to have stalled out. Makes me wonder if this is premeditated.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #21874
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,510
Since we are in an intermittion.

Just some info for anyone interested.

My neighbor is getting out of bikes and selling all three of his street bikes. ( I already got the TTR 225 from him) He wants to do the Jeep thing with his kids.

He will be sending me perticulars on the 3 bikes but here is what I know.

Suzuki SV650: Copper in color and in great shape. He has to clean the tank and get rid of old gas. Been sitting garage a while.

Ducati super sport : Red looks to be in pretty good shape

Honda RC51: different body panels a street set and a track set.

If anyone is interested let me know and I will forward information to you.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #21875
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,152
I may need to go back and retrieve this tag soon!

I rode right by the new drop location on the way home.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #21876
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,343
The current tag is getting as stale as an east of I-95 tag.

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 05-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #21877
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,096
I know exactly where it is. I just can't afford the time to make the 700+ mile round trip ride to get it right now. Leaving the country in 3 weeks for 2 years has seriously impinged on my riding time. Now if someone were to drop it closer, say east of Asheville, I'd take it all the way to the coast and plant it right on the drive to my ICW property just north of the boundary between NC and SC in the beach sands on the swamp.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #21878
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 3,063
In another life that access area holds a strong and now funny memory. For a class we were to put out a net and get a sample from the lake. Dr West had a conflict and needed to go do gravel sampling in the Mills River with a grad student. I was the grad student's assistent. I said I would go put the nets out and he could go over to the river. It was my wife's day off at CJ Harris and I enlisted her. It would be a nice day getting out, getting out on the water and sharing this task with her.
So we got the Travelall from the vehicle shop and went and picked up the skiff and nets. We got up there and the lake was low, waaaaaay low.

I was very tentative about whether we could get the boat into the water AND out again. The site was way more primitive than now. It had a single partly graveled ramp area that failed to reach the water. The lay of the now exposed land suggested trying another angle.

We spun the hubs and then checked and made sure we had drive in all wheels. I began to back the boat down towards the water. Where the shore started to roll off I decided to test to make sure we could get back up. I slipped it back in first and eased forward. It moved about 3 inches forward and 4 down. I backed a few inches and tried again and made perhaps 6 inches forward and 6 down. Not good.

I stopped attempts at this point and we began walking up towards the road and collecting small stones and tried to line a path to get a little momentum. This worked to a small degree and we were hopeful. Until....

We had moved the rig about 8 feet closer to solid ground when it began to drizzle. This quickly changed the loose dirty to slimy mud. All attempts now were failing. I unhooked the boat now. The plan became save the truck and then use a rope to pull the boat up to solid land. Not a bad plan.

We were able to move the truck another 10 ft. We had about 25 more to go. Rain continued. We were now wet, very wet, and muddy, very muddy. My wife was not having a good time. This bears repeating. My wife was not having a good day off at all. Still she remained civil.

Finally the drizzle turned to a steady rain. All hope is lost. The Travelall is almost down to the axles. The mud is very slick and soft. Rocks no longer help. We go walking. We head up the dirt road nearby and finally find someone at home. She said she had been listening to us for a good part of the day. We had left campus about 9 and I guess it is about 2 now. She can't help. We were discouraged. She did think of something else however. She calls down to the local store back on 107. There are always some guys with 4 x4s there. Well they were there and wanted a challenge so they came out.

One hooked up to the Travelall with a long rope. With not a great deal of effort it moved forward and up to solid land. Another with wide (at the time) tires went around and hooked to the boat from a side angle. He did a tractor pull kind of run out of there. All was good. Well that is relative.

The nets weren't set. The boat never got to the water. We are soaked and covered in mud. Still ,everything is back together. We bail on doing the nets. Even if we could this day, could we get back in/out tomorrow for class.

So we head home letting the rain wash the mud off of things. The boat is looking cleaner by the mile. I am guessing the truck is getting cleaned as well. Just as we get to that second long straight that runs by where 281 runs into 107 there is a very very loud CLANG/BANG. The truck immediately slides to a stop without me touching the brakes. I do hit the brakes and clutch but no real difference. We stop and the truck isn't running now. I restart it and it runs fine. I let out the clutch and it won't move and the engine loads up. I try a few times but things just won't move. Some guys had come out of the store there when they heard the noise. I went to unspin the front hubs and they won't move. I get a wrench from them. Remember we are still in the highway and it is still raining. We rock the truck some and with some force manage to get the hubs free. Once this is done, I start it back up, ease out the clutch and..... it moves! I pull off the road and look at things. No fluids leaking. No parts hanging down. It moves and stops and steers OK. We thank the guys.

We park the boat, We return the truck, We call Dr West and told him, no nets to check tomorrow so he had to change class plans.

Once warm, once clean, once feed, life is good again.

So this is my memory of Pine Creek.

Now I am seriously disappointed in those inmates in SW NC. This is a good ride and it has sat entirely too long.

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #21879
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,626

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #21880
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,162
Aarrff has his nose to the ground, it should be moving soon. And with more good weather ahead, don't go punting that thing east just yet.
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #21881
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Hey Johnnymac! Lets see if this might be it....

Honda XR 70 R
Old 05-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #21882
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Well got more time to ride then may go to the Wedge later. I could drop it around Franklin or Asheville but I may be in the cage in Asheville....We'll see

Honda XR 70 R
Old 05-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #21883
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Noticed on my Pressure Pro monitor that I could have a slow leaker. Stopped to check after a while and sure enough

I cut the ride short and just headed home grabbing some air one time. Love my aftermarket monitor! Anyway, I did pick up some nice tag material with my other camera soz I will post up soon as I eat and upload to pboto bucket. I'll put a plug/patch inside the tire later tonight

Honda XR 70 R
Old 05-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #21884
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,162
It sure was nice getting out there couple weeks ago. Looking to make a move back to WNC.
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #21885
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnymac View Post
It sure was nice getting out there couple weeks ago. Looking to make a move back to WNC.
Good to see you at Hampton! It sure is hell though having to ride all these sucky roads around here....maybe you should think carefully before moving back tag soon, uploading the days pics to photobucket...

Honda XR 70 R