ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #4066
motorbreath
drummer

Oddometer: 70
Thanks yamatech

so the photobucket link i have was the best evidence of me being at the tag, so that is my WR, not yamatech's. I hope this counts as an official grab..... I will have the proper pic up as soon as i can figure out how to get my mac to post a pic on this site.
so, the tag is at Harmon's Den, exit 7 off Forty. I live in Candler, so I tried to avoid 40 by going through Canton, then up Max Patch to Wesley Branch Rd. I got that route from Google. It was nuts! Huge stream crossings, sloppy mud, big rocks, etc. I went up the mountain, down the mountain, and paralleled a river for a few miles, and when I came upon a waist high crossing, I turned around. I was alone, and a little nervous, trying not to drop the bike. I had to be 6 miles into technical sloppy rock crawling stuff. I went back down the mountain, and asked the ladies at a little convenience store how far I was from Harmon Den, and they said I was about ten miles away. I jumped on 40 at exit 15 and booked it to exit 7, it sucked, tractor trailers make my bike feel like a kite. I made it to the tag spot, and was beat down tired from those miles of sloppy doubletrack... Now I am at the house trying to figure out how to get a pic up from my computer..... I hate technology sometimes! New tag coming soon.....Oh yeah, what is up 148A?
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #4067
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,542
You should have gone up 209, to Max Patch Rd and down to Harmons Den - much better route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath
....Oh yeah, what is up 148A?
you can do a nice little loop with some ruts, a few muddy bits and some really deep new gravel on the top, there's a way to keep going, but we ran out of time last Saturday.

Are you going to post a new tag tonight or can I take my boots and pants off?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #4068
motorbreath
drummer

new tag tomorrow!

the new tag will come tomorrow!!! also, any advice for uploading pics from i photo on a mac? frustrating.......
Old 06-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #4069
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
the new tag will come tomorrow!!! also, any advice for uploading pics from i photo on a mac? frustrating.......
upload to a hosting site and then use the forum link they give and copy and paste that link/code into the text area is how I do it.

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #4070
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,911
Quote:
so the photobucket link i have was the best evidence of me being at the tag, so that is my WR, not yamatech's. I hope this counts as an official grab..... I will have the proper pic up as soon as i can figure out how to get my mac to post a pic on this site.
so, the tag is at Harmon's Den, exit 7 off Forty. I live in Candler, so I tried to avoid 40 by going through Canton, then up Max Patch to Wesley Branch Rd. I got that route from Google. It was nuts! Huge stream crossings, sloppy mud, big rocks, etc. I went up the mountain, down the mountain, and paralleled a river for a few miles, and when I came upon a waist high crossing, I turned around. I was alone, and a little nervous, trying not to drop the bike. I had to be 6 miles into technical sloppy rock crawling stuff. I went back down the mountain, and asked the ladies at a little convenience store how far I was from Harmon Den, and they said I was about ten miles away. I jumped on 40 at exit 15 and booked it to exit 7, it sucked, tractor trailers make my bike feel like a kite. I made it to the tag spot, and was beat down tired from those miles of sloppy doubletrack... Now I am at the house trying to figure out how to get a pic up from my computer..... I hate technology sometimes! New tag coming soon.....Oh yeah, what is up 148A?
Sounded like a hoot! Wish I was with ya so we could have tackled that water crossing together. I am more cautious when I'm riding alone too. I keep thinking "how am I going to explain this one to my wife?" Was Wesley Branch Rd where the technical sloppy rock crawling stuff was? I'll have to check it out. Great job grabbing that tag. Way to keep it moving.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #4071
motorbreath
drummer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB
Sounded like a hoot! Wish I was with ya so we could have tackled that water crossing together. I am more cautious when I'm riding alone too. I keep thinking "how am I going to explain this one to my wife?" Was Wesley Branch Rd where the technical sloppy rock crawling stuff was? I'll have to check it out. Great job grabbing that tag. Way to keep it moving.
I had the same thought as i was deep in, in the rain, and alone, my wife will bust my ass for doing this! There were 10 foot long 2-3 foot deep mud bogs and rocky sections, and obviously lots of 4bys go there, lots of Busch cans around, and auto sized mud bogs and hillclimbs. To get there, go to Wesley Branch Rd, and just keep going up the mountain, and on the other side is where I ended up turning around.... Fun, but scary, being alone and all. But I found the tag in the end!
Old 06-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #4072
Johnny Crash

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB
I've been wanting to ride wesley and hurricane creek as well as some other stuff in that area. I'd prefer to ride it with someone else on a big heavy dual sport (I won't feel so bad having someone else help pick my bike up if I am doing the same for them).
Johnny Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #4073
yamatech5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Crash
I've been wanting to ride wesley and hurricane creek as well as some other stuff in that area. I'd prefer to ride it with someone else on a big heavy dual sport (I won't feel so bad having someone else help pick my bike up if I am doing the same for them).
lets go !

yamatech5 screwed with this post 06-05-2009 at 08:04 PM
yamatech5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #4074
motorbreath
drummer

thanks NCS, you are the man.

nice. finally got the picture thing happening! i would have never gone to this spot if it was not for this game. what a cool place, and a great ride, and a fun game. I am glad I pushed through that first thunderstorm! I was about to turn around, and it was coming down hard 5 miles in, and I used Hominy Baptist Church in Candler to put on my extra rain gear. I just felt like continuing, and I am glad I did! I spent alot of time going the wrong way, and getting a little lost, and my wife got pissed when I got back, but it was all worth it for experiencing the Wesley stuff and the beautiful storm covered mountains. Any of you guys that want to go check that stuff out, holler, I know the way now! Also, is Hurricane Creek fun?
Old 06-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #4075
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I put a tag at the top of Wesley branch a few months ago. Great area to ride. Wesley Branch actually connects into Hurricane Creek. If you were in the stream crossings that was Hurricane Creek. Basically you come to a T at the bottom of the hill on Wesley Branch and if you go right you go through a little rough stuff back up to Harmon Den Road. If you go left you go through Hurricane Creek which comes out on I-40 about a mile or so before the Harmon Den Exit. Hurricane Creek has something like 5 or 6 creek crossings some of which are probably fairly deep with the recent rains. Good fun. Lots of other great gravel and double track in that area if you explore a little. I like to find my way to the bbq place at exit 451 in Tennessee for lunch when riding out that way.
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #4076
Sixpack42
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Hell, I drove to the store yesterday in 5 oclock traffic and I hit 2 potholes. But I made it there and back!
Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #4077
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,828
Well?????????

Oh I know shut it, I almost always use the 24 hours to post the next one.
NC-Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #4078
motorbreath
drummer

yall better get right with adv.....

The ten commandments of this tag
1. thou shalt search for this tag on a road that is off 151
2. thou shalt enjoy your search for the tag in this great weather
3. remember if you are headed from Candler, and suddenly you feel like singing to the Lord, you are on the right track
4.thou can looketh at thy Pisgah map and seeith yon spot for this tag.
5.thou shall hitteth thy brakeths and geareth downeth when you see a sign for the lord
6. If you see the 4 horsemen of Revelation, or quite possible a yankee, keep going, you are warm.
7. Honor your friends, and treat them well. You might get hit with a Branch on the way out, or at least see one on the right.
8. Readeth the sixth commandment well, it is the best clue
9. If you want a view of pisgah, past Roads ain't Never Changin' here!
10. when getting this tag, cruise by my spot for bass fishing!! 828 231 8765
Old 06-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #4079
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,911
Don't knoiw exactly where it is but I have an idea and I'm heading the opposite direction or I'd go for it. I'm sure someone East of me will snag this quickly. I'll be watching! Beautiful day for a ride. Lots of chrome on the roads too. Have fun and be safe. Joe
Old 06-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #4080
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,828
Well MADnNC and I are heading out for a ride and going to the races at Caraway Speedway tonight for some good Red Neck entertainment. Maybe I can just get lost on the way and just head west? Well everyone have fun and keep it moving.

NC-Okie screwed with this post 02-24-2010 at 04:43 PM
NC-Okie is offline   Reply With Quote