ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #4081
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf
Hurricane Creek has something like 5 or 6 creek crossings some of which are probably fairly deep with the recent rains. Good fun.
quick threadjack:

We went there today, and had at least 6 decent size crossings and countless small ones, plenty of mud puddles and ruts (note to self: some tire tread is required for rut changes - the below)

If anybody goes there tomorrow, can you do me a favor and pick up my sun glasses I lost after one of the creek crossings??? thanks

some pics of Hurricane Creek:

yours truly:

the man:

me - with less splash:

waiting for the right moment:

I can't believe I did not drop it once with this tires (new tires arriving Monday - just squeezing out the last bit of rubber)
Old 06-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #4082
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,922
yall knobby lovers just seem to have too much fun!!!!!

But why didn't you grab a tag??

Nice Braid there as well Cuttle
NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #4083
Cuttle
me? what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen
yall knobby lovers just seem to have too much fun!!!!!

But why didn't you grab a tag??

Nice Braid there as well Cuttle
NCS
I got pre-bruced last night (ie I was about to leave when the tag got snapped) and that ride today was already planned.

We need to take my carb apart before I get tagging again - my float got stuck several times today (in the middle of nowhere) and hitting it with a rock isn't gonna work in the long run....
Old 06-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #4084
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Tag!

Church sign on Pisgah View Road I think. New tag up later tonight.
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #4085
motorbreath
drummer

Oddometer: 70
is this the same place?

This pic is from yesterday's tag grab, and this is the crossing where I turned around to head back out to the top. Is this the same spot? and if you did that stuff on those tires, then you can ride. props. This is where I shut the bike off for about 5 minutes and thought about doing this crossing, and turned around here. How far was I from coming out at the bottom? Check out my duct taped plastic bag directions on my tank.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #4086
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,907
Nice Grab SW. Where to next? I've got my riding gear on and am about to head home from the cabins. Any chance I'll be abel to grab a tag on the way???
Old 06-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #4087
WNC Keener
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Where exactly are your cabins?
I live over in Franklin and might drop in some time.
WNC Keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #4088
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC Keener
Where exactly are your cabins?
I live over in Franklin and might drop in some time.
Come on! Cabins are in the Nantahala Gorge up Dills Rd exactly 1 mile from the Nantahala Outdoor Center. I usually have to drive the truck in but today I had a light day and was able to ride the KLR. Funny but I never seem to get much work done when I ride the bike in. Took a trip up FS-711 today for the first time. Found Dirty John rifle range. Think that was a previous tag. I've lived in the area for almost 20 years and I'm just starting to really explore thanks to the KLR. Best bike in the world!
Old 06-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #4089
Cuttle
me? what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath

This pic is from yesterday's tag grab, and this is the crossing where I turned around to head back out to the top. Is this the same spot? and if you did that stuff on those tires, then you can ride. props. This is where I shut the bike off for about 5 minutes and thought about doing this crossing, and turned around here. How far was I from coming out at the bottom? Check out my duct taped plastic bag directions on my tank.
I'd say you were at least 1/3 down when you hit this crossing, and yes, the two top pics are at the same spot (my hubby went through it 4 times). I probably would not have been able to do the opposite direction (uphill) with this tire, thou running only 16psi in the rear helped a lot.

Your bike is definitely the better bike for the road, but I think you were right to go back - that's not a road you want to hike out off if you get stuck.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #4090
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

New Tag

Clues: The Town visible in this photo was formerly known as Pigeon Ford until the bridge was built. The Town was then renamed after the city where the bridge was manufacturered. The road this photo was taken on shares it's name with a mall in Raleigh and a community to the northwest of the town formerly known as Pigeon Ford. Let me know if you need more.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #4091
Johnny Crash

Oddometer: 174
I know where this tag is! But how do I pull off a night tag here if I can't get a shot of the p**** ******y in the dark?
Johnny Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #4092
Cuttle
me? what?

just take a pic of yourself touching the electrified barbed wire

We'll take your word for it
Old 06-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #4093
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Crash
I know where this tag is! But how do I pull off a night tag here if I can't get a shot of the p**** ******y in the dark?
True that one's not exactly condusive to night tagging. I would accept a shot of some nearby street signs with the bike in the dark if you're serious about snagging it. Just got to prove you were there.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #4094
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

I think I found it using the clues. At least I know the road and the town but not sure exactly where along that road is the overlook so a night grab is out of the question. Maybe if I get up REEEEAAAAAL EARLY I might be able to Bruce Johnny Crash! Prolly not.

Quote:
I'm sure they have that place lit up. Take a tripod and set your camera to a long exposure or you could just pee on that electric fence.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #4095
Johnny Crash

Oddometer: 174
Google Maps says 11.6 miles from my house to the top of that hill. If I hadn't already ridden all day today I might go for it tonight.
Johnny Crash is offline   Reply With Quote