ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #16
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy
Sorry Burnie. My computer and programme skills are a bit like my riding.
Are you saying I just download it and it installs itself over the top of the old version and city nav etc just remain as is?
Yes, if you have already installed your maps then you do not need to install them again after an update to the MapSource viewing and loading program
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #17
Autostream
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,833
I have 14 and it runs fine on one PC and crap on the other, not sure I like the newer graphics. The on eit is slow on is older, but not slow and has 2gb of ram with an OK graphics card so I have no idea why it is so slow building the maps.

Had no issues with Tracks 4 Aus

If I could be bothered I would go back to 13

Autostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #18
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostream
I have 14 and it runs fine on one PC and crap on the other, not sure I like the newer graphics. The on eit is slow on is older, but not slow and has 2gb of ram with an OK graphics card so I have no idea why it is so slow building the maps.

Had no issues with Tracks 4 Aus

If I could be bothered I would go back to 13
I think the 2GB memory makes a difference

Only takes 3 minutes to revert to MS v6.13.7
Old 09-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #19
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM
Yes, if you have already installed your maps then you do not need to install them again after an update to the MapSource viewing and loading program

Thanks heaps Burnie
Old 03-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #20
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
GPS Map 76S

Hi

I have a couple of questions:

1. I have the GPS Map 76S - I want to add more maps as I am heading to the states, but when I tried to install them, it said my unit was not allowed to have these maps, do I need to get my unit unlocked? It was bought here in Oz, so it has the base map of Oz on it, but not the street maps.

2. I have lost my original Mapsource install disk, so I cannot install the program on my laptop, do I have to buy another? I did originally register this unit online, so if I 'borrow' someone elses Mapsource, will it allow me to install it and use it, or do I have to buy another copy?

3. If I can add more maps, where do I expand the memory, is there a card slot inside that I can upgrade and if so, does it have to be a bought one from Garmin?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
TS
Old 03-09-2009, 05:09 AM   #21
BurnieM
Nipple boy

A GPSmap 76S has a fixed 24 MB of internal memory. You cannot expand this or use memory cards.

Some mapping products use an unlock code.
The unlock code is specific to a particular version of a particular mapping product and a particular GPS serial number.
You can load somebody elses maps to your PC and enter their unlock code and it will let you view them on your PC but you will not be able to load them to your GPS.

You can borrow somebody elses MapSource map CD and load it to your PC and then enter your unlock code (as long as it is for the same map product and version number) and this will work
Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 AM   #22
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Burnie

Thanks for the reply, even though it is not good news.

So, by the looks, I will need to buy a new map base, for USA and hopefully it will come with a new mapsource.

If I have to do that, depending on cost, I will.

I do not need to use a street map as I will have that for my TomTom, but I was hoping to use the Garmin for the tracking ability and the ability of it integrating with Google Earth.. The last time I tried the Neam? for TomTom(tracking data program) it crashed the system, so I may stay away from that for now.

Anyway, cheers
TS
Old 03-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #23
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom
... The last time I tried the Neam? for TomTom(tracking data program) it crashed the system, so I may stay away from that for now.
Que ?
I think you mean NMEA data output.

The GPSmap 76S will put out either Garmin protocol or NMEA and you will need to set this on the GPS
Most PC based moving map programs should work
Old 03-16-2009, 04:17 AM   #24
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, sorry about that, I meant NMEA, this data is ouput by TomTom and can be logged, but when I used it it crashed the TT.

After having talked to a few people at the Horizons Unlimited meeting last weekend I have decided I will buy the world map for my 76S. I can then use this in some of the countries where my TT will not be useful.

Also, when I said above I lost my install CD for mapsource, I also lost the code, so even though I registered online, I am unsure whether this is useful in tracking back. My email address has changed a number of times since then. I will ask the shop I bought it at tomorrow :)

Cheers
TS