User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Journey of Solace

It has been a few years since my last road trip. The last trip up to the Arctic Circle satisfied my wander lust for a while, normally I have to do a few trips a year. This time my trip up to AK is for a different purpose. I'm competing in the Scooter Cannonball Run. I'm riding a NHX110 the second smallest displacement in the event. Yesterday I embarked on my journey.

The plan is to not have much of one...life is more interesting with mystery, if one knows what is going to happened then what is the point. I barely called the insurance company the day before I left to get Canada insurance ID card, that has to be sent up to Seattle and I'll get it on my way up. The KISS methodology is my style of doing things so for this trip it holds true. I didn't pack for the trip until the morning that I left. The night before I got stuff laid out on the living room floor. I like to pack light, my evolution of packing and travel stems from experience in backpacking. Last weekend I spent half a day prepping my scoot, fluid changes and a new rear tire. I barely just semi looked over the event route, have an idea of my way up to AK and haven't even thought about the way home...just know I'm not going thru TX.

I'm riding up to AK, most are trailering up. From the time I leave to the time I get back home I'll have about 8k miles. I plan on riding up like the way I would ride in the SCBR with about the same average milage of about 360miles a day. It is good training for the actual event. I'll get fitness conditioning for being in the saddle all day. It'll get me in the proper mindset. I'll hone my routine, work out all the kinks and by the time the event starts I'll be a well oil machine, very efficient just like my scooter.

I've been busy the past year and my mindset hasn't been well. Last year I lost someone that I love dearly and the repercussions of that hasn't been well. I've been dealing with it by keeping busy. I've always found comfort in these road trips, they keep me sane, center my life.

The last couple of weeks have been hectic, tying up loose ends to be gone for a month. Once the event starts I'm not sure if I'll have time to keep this updated, but will keep it up before and after.

DaBinChe screwed with this post 05-24-2014 at 04:40 PM
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

First day I had a late start didn't get on the road until after 10:30. All packed up and ready to go with starting milage for the trip.

For those that have seen previous ride reports these next few pics might be familiar. Going over the Sierras, hwy88 over Carson pass about about 8.5k feet. Scooter ran great in elevation. This is a nearby lake along the highway.

Been here many times:

On my way to Gerlach where I'll be visiting a friend that I haven't seen in 5 years.

Out on Steam Boat rock/mtn. overlooking the Black Rock Desert . If you look carefully you'll see Black Rock in the background between our shoulder that is what the Black Rock Desert was named after. The playa you see is where Burning Man is held.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

Second night in Gerlach, my friend Stacie showed me around Gerlach and the Black Rock Desert. The other few times that I had been here I didn't get a chance to see the place. It's a small one block town with nothing happening except Burning Man. The lack of rain/snow this year really showed in the Sierras and beyond. We climbed a mountain, stopped where the pavement ends and the west begins, got stuck in a sand pit, checked out some local pottery, had some world famous Bruno's Ravioli, and helped her with her welding stuff.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning and will stay near Bend.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #4
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

Sunrise over the Black Rock
Desert
Old 05-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

More about my scooter:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941321

More about the Scooter Cannonball Run:
http://www.scootercannonball.com

My other rider reports on ADV:
http://advrider.com/forums/search.php?searchid=33032748
Old 05-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

Second day of travel. Got up before the crack of dawn..kinda odd of me cause I don't normally wake up naturally till late morning, left Gerlach by 7:15. Had breakfast in Cedarville. Yum butter!

I was making good time so far and found a short cut that saved me about 8miles, first dirt road on the trip.

Woohoo Oregon! Been here before:

And here:

Having ridden a Metropolitan, Symba and now the Elite thru this same section, I have to say that I much prefer the Elite. It just does everything better except for dirt roads compared to the Symba's larger wheels. What I really like is the power that the Elite has with it's FI and water cooling is the ability too maintain speeds into the wind and up grades. Instead of losing 15mph I only lose about 5mph.

Originally I was planning on staying around the Bend area but I was making such good time, got to Bend around 3, and decided to just go all the way to Portland.

So this day turns into a 480mile day, a hundred more miles then the longest SCBR day. I made it to Portland around 7:30. Spend an hour eating breakfast, stopped a bunch to take pictures, got a little lost in Portland. If I can keep this same pace for SCBR then I'll finish up most days around 3-4pm. I actually felt really good and fresh. This scoot is very comfortable and did well on the dirt road.

Having ridden Eastern Oregon before this time around I can tell they also had a dry winter. Got my first rain going by Mt. Hood all the way into Portland. Meet up with Colin and Rebecca the couple that rode around the world on SYM Symbas:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716979
Old 05-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
Inoplanetyanin
One day closer!

Oddometer: 92
Wow, an honor to post first reply.
DBC, super happy to see you start the trip. I know you and many others have been waiting for it for so long. I, for one, as an Elite owner, am very hopeful you will finish it as planned and have a lot of fun doing it.

Pictures are awesome. I've ridden a bicycle from LA to NY and remember Gerlach well. I've then taken the dirt road to Winnemuca, this was in 03. The 45th parallel sign I think is the same one I took a picture with as well.

Your rear part of the scoot looks heavy, be careful in turn and sudden maneuvers. I still don't know why you are going through tires so much. Do you have 350 cc engine there that you drag race? :)

If I didn't have to take the license exam in few weeks, I would probably be there riding the similar way you do.

Please do not hesitate to ask for help if needed!
Safe journey and enjoy it, that's the most important! Thanks for posting the pictures. Waiting for updates and of course photos.

By the way, I found that placing a flat piece of wood on the floor board gave additional options of resting the feet. Maybe you could find it useful being in the saddle for so many hours. Looks like this:

Inoplanetyanin screwed with this post 05-26-2014 at 05:25 PM
Inoplanetyanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

Last night spent with Co and Re sharing stories about our travels abroad and on small bikes. Cultural differences, scams, etc. Baby hungry, baby SO hungry!

Today just resting and checking out Portland. Portland has developed a lot in the last 10years. Colin took me on a tour around Portland, showed me all the strip joints.

Tomorrow I'll be heading out early to Seattle.

Scoot feels fast and agile without all the luggage.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
zuphilius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I would love to do what you do, sounds like a bunch a fun. Say hi to Boeing for me if you happen to ride by up in Everett! Be safe!
zuphilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,732
This is going to be too good not to subscribe.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 223
Best of luck in the Cannonball, and ride safe.

I think you've got a good chance at winning, you've got a good bike with a good handicap relative to the durability and speed, good attitude, and are tough enough to just roll with it instead of bringing a ridiculous support network with you. I'm rooting for ya. :)
Old 05-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
I enjoyed your calculations as to why a 110cc is in with a chance. I also like that your daily rider is what you are riding. I find the engineers who need a custom built ride less interesting to follow in this event. I hope you find what you are looking for. I have a feeling that following your ride in this madness will give me a glimpse of what I am looking for. Cheers.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #13
Inoplanetyanin
One day closer!

Oddometer: 92
I am also rooting for that single cylinder that had already worked hard for 28,000 miles. I wonder if it's compared to human age in terms of life expectancy, is it like making a 50 y.o. run the marathon? I would love to see how long these engines can last (mine only has 10K on it now). What spare parts are you carrying with you, DBC? What oil are you using in it right now?
Inoplanetyanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #15
RedArrow
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,393
Hey, DaBinCh ~

Finally found where you are at!, It all looks good! Let me know if you need any accommodations through Eugene my sis lives there she is a teacher also , she would love to meet you!

Ride Safe!

~ Red Arrow