User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #31
Buuurrrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
These guys were great.

They jump on their "Earth Saws" and rip through the desert. Look at those bikes. 950 and 625 dirt bikes. Are you kidding me?

When they reach Gateway. They proceed to get LOOSE.
Talk about minimalist. Just rip fast and light to the Pub and take a break there. What else do you need?

FatChance, FatWife(for sure), Colorado Uli and Unaweep were key players in day 3. They kept us laughing for days.

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance

It was great meeting you guys in Gateway! That was FatWife (left) and me as well as Colorado Uli (third from left) and Unaweep (behind me, spilling his beer). Those were their bikes, we had the GSs. Thanks for the incredible pics, it looks like a great trip!
Buuurrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #32
CJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
The tire on that WR is a trials tire, i'm pretty sure. They are pretty popular to use in very rocky terrain, have seen enduro and harescramble racers use them also.
CJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #33
jamesdemien
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Ahh back on my favorite forum after a brief stint way from it all.

I got married and the bike has been sitting for a while but this trip report is just the inspiration I need to put the new parts on the Moto and plan a trip.

Gateway BMW Motorcycles St. Louis | Digital Marketing Strategy | Alaska Trip Wishlist | SPOT | Vimeo
jamesdemien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #34
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Right on with the photo Fat Chance. Thanks for jogging our memory as well. Your names were filed away but the file was misplaced. Until we meet again my friends.....

Also, the WR was running a trials tire.
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #35
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,025
Great R.R.!!!!!....some of that singletrack looks sweet...
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 AM   #36
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The next morning after some food and croffee we start to roost.

Our map showed a route that we thought looked good and would take us down to this valley. We found the old road but unfortunately it was closed.

We worked around our little detour and made it through the valley.

Here we are climbing out of the valley with the San Juans in the background.

We were heading for Monticello where we’d restock on everything.

Then we climbed into the hills and started getting views of the big red rock territory in Southern Utah.

Our route followed a single track that I’d stumbled on a number of years ago but wasn’t able to ride due to snow.

The trail continued for a while.

The trail stayed fairly high in elevation and kept giving us views of the stunning desert below.

It would wind through trees then pop out into these open meadows.

The trail had numerous challenging sections with steep rocky moves.

It worked along some very steep terrain where you wouldn’t want to accidentally get off of it.

You need to be at least a solid intermediately skilled rider to make a number of these moves. I’d rate the trail as more for advanced riders.

A view of the hills that these trails roll through.

We came to an intersection and got onto a real nice quad trail that our map showed which would take us in the right direction.

This was very easy riding. We were working our way to the next intersection which would take us on another section of trail then spit us out on a gravel road. Our route was playing out just as we hoped until……..

The next intersection proved disastrous. At the intersection the route was marked just like on our map. It started to drop and continued down a quite steep and real rocky pitch for around 1000 vertical feet. It was fairly wide and appeared to be well used but looked more like cattle traffic was the norm. At the bottom we were noticing the absence of any vehicle tracks. Next came this little section in the photo where we had to climb a couple hundred feet out of the gully.

This wasn’t a motorcycle trail. We both acknowledged seeing a downed post at the last intersection. At this point we really didn’t want to know what was marked on it because we both had the feeling it would have steered us in a better direction. We were able to climb out of the gully up on to a large plateau. After checking out the terrain and deliberating over our map we decided that we shouldn’t proceed any farther. We came to the realization that we’d have to camp and make the 1000 foot rocky climb back out in the morning.

Here’s our main cooking tool which we refer to as the adjust-a-fork which is a spin off of the adjust-a-grill that our friend makes. Just like the adjust-a-grill, the adjust-a-fork can be adjusted up or down or can swing away from the fire. (this is a total joke and we have a little fun at our friends expense where we state that these silly little forks that I weld up are going to make his product obsolete)

The adjust-a-fork does work well though. We were tired as the single track earlier and the late afternoon debacle wore us out. Camp was quiet this night as we mentally prepared for the wrestling match in the morning. Our plan was to get up early and tackle it before breakfast. Our reasoning was the slope was south facing and we were anticipating it being quite hot so we’d get at it early. We were imagining having to walk the gear up then come back down and together we’d work the bikes up with the nylon webbing belay in the “cruxy” sections. We new we’d make it but it was going to take work.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #37
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 15,154
Great Report, guys!!

We pondered the fate of you ff's for about 4 minutes after you left, then I pretty much forgot about ya!

Hope you look us up next time you're in da hood.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #38
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

"We pondered the fate of you ff's for about 4 minutes after you left, then I pretty much forgot about ya! "

Now that's some good comedy!! Thanks for the laugh!!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #39
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Ok, this is good! Personally I'm a single malt kind of guy but I would ride with ya

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #40
backspinnn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I need more...

I assume you made the thousand foot climb or you would not be posting this report.

I will be in Moab next week for 8 days on the 450 EXC. I can't wait. Any recs for carrying extra fuel over hard terrain or did the oversize tanks take care of it all?

2009 BMW R1200GS
2007 KTM 450EXC dual sport
backspinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #41
CJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
awesome, Looks like you ate well too.
my kind of adventure.
CJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #42
Buuurrrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by backspinnn
I need more...

I assume you made the thousand foot climb or you would not be posting this report.

I will be in Moab next week for 8 days on the 450 EXC. I can't wait. Any recs for carrying extra fuel over hard terrain or did the oversize tanks take care of it all?

The oversized tanks (6.6 gal) give you a range close to 400 miles on our bikes. Which means it is unnecessary.

If you look closely at some of the earlier photos our buddy on the WR you can see he is strapping a half gallon liquor bottle to his handle bars with a thick pad taped to it. I have also strapped bottles to my front and rear fenders using slits cut through the fender with Voile straps to hold the bottle on. These straps are critical to our setup. They are very strong and dynamic which hold bottles and bags tight.

You also need to think about Water. It is starting to cool off in the desert this time of the year but we were carrying 100 oz. Camel back with at least another half gallon for 2 days in the desert. On warm days you will go through that in a day.

Have a great ride.
Buuurrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #43
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Awesome trip guys!! My friends need to see this so they think I plan normal routes!! On easy terrain!!
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #44
caktmrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Now THAT'S my kinda ride! Love the report!!
caktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #45
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Morning broke and we quickly loaded the bikes. Mother Nature was kind enough to provide cloud cover which was huge!! We discussed how we would proceed. We decided to attempt the climb with all the gear on the bikes and go as far as we could before unloading them and hiking the gear up to the top. We would then walk back down and double team each bike past the difficult sections. Some sections were very loose and littered with rocks. Nothing like confronting this about 15 minutes after you wake up!!

Some sections weren’t as rocky but fairly steep.

As it turned out, the route ended up not being quite as steep as we remembered it when we descended it the day before. We were actually able to climb the whole thing without unloading the bikes. We had to stop 6 or 8 times to rest. We would climb a little section to a place where we could stop and take a quick break. Each section we completed we’d say “well, looks like we won’t have to hike the gear up that section”. We kept anticipating a stopper somewhere but after a couple of minor wrecks we made the top.

Here was the post we both acknowledged seeing the day before. We talked about just leaving it down because we knew what it would show and we really didn’t want to see it.

But we picked it up and sure enough, there was the signage that would’ve steered us onto a different route. Just a slight kick of that post to roll it over would’ve saved us a bunch of headache plus kept us on open motorcycle routes.

We worked our way along and soon dropped onto another single track that was marked for motorcycles.

I’m sure you can relate to how happy we were as this perfect trail provided some much needed relaxation.

This was a 2nd and 3rd gear route.

It was just the cruising type of trail we needed at that juncture.

It wound down a drainage and we were getting into red rock territory.

We came out onto pavement which we followed for a few miles then grabbed this gravel road that would take us back up and over the mountains.

Up near the high point there was a crew doing repair. It’s amazing how much maintenance these roads require. Just one good storm can about take out entire sections. A bonus about traveling on motorcycles is you can just squeeze right by situations like this.

Now we’re dropping south back into the desert. This is where we are really getting out away from any civilization.

We head for a LARGE canyon and get on a decent graded road that leads into it.

It’s all we can do to keep our minds from exploding with the intensity of the scenery.

The graded road drops into this giant wash and continues down.

The wash has sections of 4th and 5th gear with lots of action.

The canyon is around 25 miles long and seems like it goes on forever.

Still looking down the canyon with the Henry Mountains in the distance. This is where you really don’t want anything to go wrong.

We start working up out of the canyon on an old mining route. San Juan county maintains a number of these as OHV routes. This one was badly washed out from a flash flood earlier in the summer. As you can see, we’re not done wrestling for the day.

Nope, not done AT ALL!!! Right at the pass a large rock fall blocked the route.

We’d been riding for about 11 hours at this point. We needed to pile up a bunch of rocks to make it over this section or back track for a number of hours which in my mind was not even a choice. At this point my partner had had enough of me and my routes. He announced he was no longer having any fun and as soon as we got through this it was time to head north back to Salt Lake.

It took some work but we made it. I was doing some quick thinking about how to avoid a total collapse of the trip. We needed a serious attitude adjustment. We worked for about another hour until we found a place to rest for the night.

Here’s what we found for a spot. JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED!!! Lake Powell was around 75 degrees. The swimming alone was enough to put us right back into the game. Plenty of food and whiskey were just the toppers. We washed up all of our gear and it was like we were back on day 1, totally refreshed and eager for the next day.

Day 7
Mileage: a lot
Difficulty: off the chart
Mental Status: to the brink
Complete Melt Down: narrowly avoided
Overall trip status: it doesn’t get any better!!!