Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #76
TroySmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Wow, incredible shot. Is this a multi-shot panorama, or a single shot cropped down? Would you mind sharing the full resolution file? I'd love to have it. It's inspiring!

TroySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #77
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Glad you folks are enjoying this. Like I said earlier, we do a number of these rides every spring and fall but usually only for 4 or 5 days at a time and not documented. New Trick keeps throwing in shots from previous rides. Every ride is a full adventure into very intense terrain. Day after day of demanding riding and sleeping in the dirt will wear down the best of them.

Troy, that's about 4 shots put together. I can e-mail it to you if you want.

Joe Motocross screwed with this post 09-30-2008 at 08:00 AM
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #78
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Croffee, noodles, oatmeal and another swim in the lake and we were feeling right back into it. Even though we were refreshed, I had reservations about doing another demanding long day. We still had up to 3 days to get back to Salt Lake and I needed my partner to be totally on top of it. We discussed the route and opted to cut out a section of mostly gravel with one minor river crossing. Instead, after we crossed the bridge at Lake Powell we blasted up the pavement for 20 miles or so. This would prove to be the easiest day, a semi-rest day even. Even though it didn’t seem necessary, we decided to get a hotel room for the night to completely regroup.

We peeled off the pavement and headed for the Henry Mountains.

We were on fairly decent gravel roads all day but with stunning views of the desert below.

We made the pass at 10,500 feet in elevation and took a quick look.

More of the same types of views here in this shot.

We found the road we were looking for and dropped in heading north to Hanksville.

First things first. It was past time for a cold beer after the last couple of days.

Another reason for the hotel room was some overdue bike maintenance. Look at this: a minimalist with rubber gloves? Where’d he have room for those?

The hotel owner of The Hanksville Inn had an uncanny resemblance and similar mannerisms to the actor Gary Busey in one of his strange roles. After he barked at us about tearing into the bikes in the parking lot, he turned out to be another one of those memorable characters on the journey. I saw him 2 years ago when a huge flash flood about took out Hanksville. He was squeegee-ing mud out of the rooms then. He said the slurry was 4 concrete blocks high. After the disaster he said he paid $1000 per room for furniture and carpet from a hotel in Cedar City that was remodeling and he bought 18 rooms worth. He also said he lost $80000 in the flood which left us wondering what type of math he was using. Oh well, he was cool. We wrapped it up and called it a night eager for the next day which would be pretty intense.

Day 7
Milage: not much
Difficulty: no sweat
Mental Status: totally restored
Hotel Owner: as scary as Gary Busey in a B movie
Old 09-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #79
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,408
fantastic report

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #80
britman
Britman

Oddometer: 279
I did a paved ride of the area in 2005

Wondered what the back country looked like. Excellent photos. We too stayed at the Bates Motel in Hanksville.
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #81
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The "Bates Motel" had the remodel in 06. You must return to enjoy the new luxury accommodations!!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #82
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross

First things first. It was past time for a cold beer after the last couple of days.

Another reason for the hotel room was some overdue bike maintenance. Look at this: a minimalist with rubber gloves? Where’d he have room for those?

Day 7
Milage: not much
Difficulty: no sweat
Mental Status: totally restored
Hotel Owner: as scary as Gary Busey in a B movie
I love riding long hard hours on the trail and roughing it, but man these wind-down days at the hotel with cold beers are like Heaven!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #83
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I personally won't opt for a hotel room just as a challenge to myself. Only after my partners declare mutiny will I fold. Plus, I'm too much of a cheap bastard!!

Joe Motocross screwed with this post 09-30-2008 at 09:48 PM
Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #84
New Trick
A guy that likes to ride

Oddometer: 61
10 Days of Utah Desert Madness!!

Geeze JoMo, I think you should cut "Gary Busey" some slack. Maybe the last room he had an extended stay in, one of the Laffertys was his roommate, and the toilet didn't have a seat on it.
New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #85
Fronnzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
My new favorite ride report. Diggin' the minimalist style. What do you carry for tools, spares etc.?

Bjorn

British Columbia, Canada

"How hard can it be?"
Fronnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #86
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
cool ride! thanks for shareing! would like to know where that bridge was.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #87
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here’s a shot of the tools. I welded a box end wrench on the tire iron to loosen the wheel nuts. Note also the square drivers welded onto the wrenches to turn the sockets. This kit will take care of most issues. It includes a patch kit from the local grocery store (nothing fancy); a bag of spare nuts, bolts and washers; 8,10,12,14 & 17mm sockets; screw driver bits; allen key bits; bit driver; socket extension, 8,10,12,13, & 14mm open end and box end wrenches; small pliers; piece of hack saw blade; various gauges of wire; couple of hose clamps.

The stuff is basically just permanently mounted on my bike with Voile Straps, by far the best ever motorcycle strap. We carry no less then one front tube (which you can jam in the rear wheel in a pinch) but most of the time we have one of each. They rarely get used cause we patch the tube if at all possible. Unbelievably, we didn’t have a single flat the whole trip. To me this is basically unheard of. My record is 6 flats in one day: 2 fronts and 4 rears, totally different problems each time.

You need to be proficient at tire changing out here. It WILL happen but it’s no big deal if you take the time to learn. Usually the story goes something like somebody flats out, we regroup and heckle the pour victim as he’s sweating and wrestling his tire off in the dirt. We usually take a few photos to add insult. We’ve been documenting flats for a long time now. We’ve been thinking about publishing the Coffee Table Book of Dirt Bike Flats. There are numerous categories and classes. For instance, you can have a simple class 1 puncture where you never really know what happened, just a simple hole. Then you get the class 1 snake bite where the tube gets pinched between the rim and a rock, log or train track. A class 1 snake bite represents just one hole where a class 4 snake bite has the classic double pinch on each side of the rim producing 4 holes. Valve core failure can dupe the best of them and can result in humiliation after the victim has taken out the tube only to find no hole in it, rather, a piece of sand or something in the valve core causing a slow leak. This also often results in ridicule from peers as well. Class 1 patch failure is not too uncommon where an old patch finally looses its adhesive. Less common but still seen are a puncture, slice or snake bite on top of an old patch (these can obviously be class 1 through 5 depending on the severity). Then there’s the dreaded class 5 nail puncture where you pick up a nail and keep riding unaware the tires gone flat and with every rotation of the wheel the nail violently stabs another hole through the tube. This is one of the most grotesque as you can end up with like 20 holes or more where the tube ends up being a battered, slashed and lifeless corpse and must be laid to rest. I encourage anyone to submit descriptions of odd flat tire occurrences as I’m sure we haven’t seen them all.

Joe Motocross screwed with this post 09-30-2008 at 09:55 PM
Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #88
Fronnzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
That's a great setup. Nice idea with the welding. Thats a good little project for the winter. Thanks for the tips and ride report man, it's much appreciated.

One last question, with all the flat experience, do you go with a Co2 cartridge or simple hand pump, it's hard to tell from the pic. One of my riding buddies ripped the guts out of 12 volt car style pump, it's just the motor, some tubing, wire and a gauge. I think he stores it in small little bag he bought at a surplus store. It works pretty good, but he has to be there as I don't have a 12 volt yet.

Thanks again.

B.

British Columbia, Canada

"How hard can it be?"
Fronnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #89
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross
This is one of the most grotesque as you can end up with like 20 holes or more where the tube ends up being a battered, slashed and lifeless corpse and must be laid to rest. I encourage anyone to submit descriptions of odd flat tire occurrences as I’m sure we haven’t seen them all.
Most excellent ride, report and photos - Here's a flat story, '95 KTM RXC 620 (w/Malcom Smith header and supertrapp) M5B 140 rear. Thing has so much juice it'd spin the valve stem right off the tube. Yes, I had a rim lock, and eventually drilled it for 2 rim locks but in the right conditions (ultra chocolate, moist PNW volcano soils after a good rain) it'd still spin the bitch right out of the tube. Yes, Ultra HD toobs. You could hear the thing spew the air out after a particularly perfect berm and by the time my buddies had returned, I'd have the wheel off, toob out and be stuffing that spare 21" in.

More Voile please!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #90
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,310
Start a new thread for flat stories and pictures. That's a GREAT idea.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote