Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #106
BlueBuell
Banned

Oddometer: 421
You guys rock! I am really enjoying your RR because it is so hard-core, and the tension in the decision making is incredible. I am new to Adventure riding.
I can tell that your very experienced riders, very wise in evaluating risk, and you must be very physically fit to ride so hard for so long, so safely.
Many thanks for letting me partake in your ride!
Cheers!
BlueBuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #107
neumie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Great trip!

I'm another poor bastage "riding along" for this one! Great riding and great report.

Thanks.
neumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #108
Buuurrrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMYStreetRacer

Awesome ride report. you have got me started looking into moving out west. Thank you!

You might want to rethink that Streetracer.

You need to consider a couple of things before commiting to the minimalist wetern lifestyle.

1st- Are you married? Prior to this trip JoMo required all parties to submit a signed and notarised contract stating the wives of said riders would not hold him liable for any wild behavior and lapse of judgement that occured on during this ride or anytime after the ride. It specifically stated sweetening your coffee with Old crow. This is HUGE and not to be taken lighty. You may also want to get your new employer involved as well.. If they are not totally on board with this it could spell disaster. This contract was put to the test in the early days of the trip.

2nd-You also must prep you mind ahead of time. Some of the places you go are truely mind blowing. I am not making this up. More than once we have had to pull the bikes over, get off and regroup. This is also not to be taken lightly.

3rd-You bike will never be the same. Now that I think of it. You liver will never be the same either.

The sooner you come to terms with these simple rules the better you do in the desert southwest.

Buuurrrt screwed with this post 10-01-2008 at 08:35 PM
Buuurrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #109
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I need to retract my statement on not being able to patch a tube with the valve stem ripped out. Believe me, I know, when there's a will there's a way. And a little luck doesn't hurt with that situation either. I'm thinking that if the valve stem is completely detached from the tube that would be categorized as class 5 valve stem severance.

Thanks for the tip on the feeler gauges Rufus, good thinking. I can tell we're kindred spirits in maintenance.
Joe Motocross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #110
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I've been watching this intently since the beginning. Awesome trip and report. Am I the only who is wondering/surprised that JoMo's used head gasket is holding up through all of this?
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:23 AM   #111
NikonVT
Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer: 2,445
Just for the record - I hate you guys with this terrain nearby.....

Bras cause cancer.
NikonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:18 AM   #112
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
I like your set up. Stupid question, how do those straps attach to the fender? Did you have to make holes in the fender or is there a bracket I'm not seeing?
Staxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #113
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,145
FKNA!

This is terrific!

More more more!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #114
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ah yes, the Marital Discourse Disclaimer. We’ll see how it holds up legally soon. Our other partner that started the trip with us called us at camp this last night. (I know, minimalists with cell phones?!! We’re working toward eliminating these for good) He declared he was moving into his new apartment and the wife was staying at their home. (NO JOKE!!)

I’ve had a few problems with getting my partners into trouble with spouses/significant others in the past. I’m fresh off a divorce right now so I was anticipating this problem may be elevated hence the Disclaimer. My ex and I are unusual as we are like siblings; very close. But we think marriage is the craziest institution ever. We could’ve stayed married and “co-existed” for the rest of our lives but we new it wasn’t quite right for us and had to be honest about it. So, I end up posing this question to others: are you “co-existing” or are you really satisfied and content? Sorry for the mini rant. I guess the point is you want to make sure your relationship is solid before you hang out with me. I’ve got more Disclaimers but since this last trip they will all now need to be notarized with both parties signature.

Back to more important matters – motorcycles!! You gotta drill the plastic for the Voile straps. Many people have a hard time doing this to their precious graphics but most who go for it soon realize that it’s cooler to be functional rather then having a pretty bike. Also, if you ride this terrain for very long, your bike will look like it’s ready for the scrap yard in no time anyway so what’s the big deal about a couple of extra holes? This photo is the rear fender but you get the idea. Just drill 4 or 5 holes in a row then pull the drill back through all of them to open the slot. You want to make sure you don’t over load those fenders with too much gear. I like to distribute some of the weight onto the back of the seat with an additional strap under the seat.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #115
cheekymonkey
born again jackass

Oddometer: 144
Wow, you guys have got balls that would make King Kong jealous. Serious pucker factor on a few of those sections.

I'm really enjoying your RR, particularily the pictures. Vibrant colours and interesting perspectives.

Would you mind telling us what camera you were using?

Thanks for sharing!

ZOA
cheekymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #116
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Awesome ride! I think we all need to do a minimalist ride to see what the ride is really about. A true adventure for sure, and deserving of the adventure salute (in a good way)

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #117
wonky
Team F5 !

Oddometer: 471
Proper riding!!!!

Just blasted thrpugh the first four pages of this and its awesome.
Love to see ultra-light travel of the extreme variety and this takes the prize of the rides ive seen.

Awesome!!!!!
The main thing I'm into is going about on a bike, taking random routes; I'm really into the idea of making up journeys, and just seeing where they take you, because they always end up taking you someplace freaky.
Tom Jenkinson (squarepusher)

KLIM in the UK
Giantloop in Europe
adventure-spec
F800GS Crashbars
Yamaha Tenere Parts
KTM 690 Adventure-Spec Parts
KTM LC8 Adventure and SE Skidplate
wonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #118
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,777
Doods! This is a freaking great RR. I get goosebumps looking at the pics. Next time you FF's think about doing this, give me a few months notice and I'll join you crazy bastards! This RR is great. The terrain is f'n awesome. I especially like the minimalist attitude (as well as the "Old Crow" additives).

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #119
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Morning broke and we kindled a small fire as usual to heat up some of the usual. At this juncture we could have continued on for an infinite number of days. I can’t stress enough how great it is when your only concerns are finding a good trail, figuring out a great dinner, and enjoying a cup of croffee the next day.

It’s amazing on how few possessions you really need. Anyway, we packed up our possessions and got ready for roosting!!

The first part of the day was intense!

This route follows a narrow ridgeline through a series of small hills.

This trail had lots of little moves to keep it interesting.

It just kept snaking along the high ridge all through these hills.

There were numerous sections where it was a bit “knify” and you’d have a hard time getting your bike back up if you accidentally went off it.

Up and down and up and down and up and……………

We opted for a section that went down a drainage just to mix it up a bit.

It climbed back out and continued along a ridge.

It finally culminated at this hill climb which was just intimidating enough for one of us to pass on it. With the addition of this climb the trip now had about every type of dirt riding you want.

The route crossed over a canal on this makeshift bridge. We looked at it and the first guy went across. The second guy got lined up and had a bought of stage fright. Needless to say, the first guy had to cross back over and we took an alternate route. It doesn’t look too bad here but you gotta role it without stopping and it’s about 4 feet to the water which is about 4 feet deep. It would be disaster if you got off balance and lost it.

Lots of this stuff in rural Utah which is great!! Anything to avoid the pavement.

Now we’d be on fast gravel roads for a number of hours heading north toward SLC.

Just good open country on smooth roads.

We worked passed this reservoir and the nice roads continued.

Just totally at ease here in 6th gear floating through the desert.

My partner was dumbfounded when we again picked up another short section of single track. Things were good!!

Time to get rid of the rest of our food. We’d be home in a few hours.

This is an odd little rock formation out in the middle of no where. I guess they call it “Little Moab”. I’d stress the word “little” with that one.

We were working on going over the last small set of mountains here. We got onto the wrong road but decided to top out and have a look around anyway.

It’s difficult to be monkeying around and backtracking this late in the trip but you just gotta suck it up. The view paid off.

Now we’re back on track heading up toward the high point.

Here we are looking down into civilization. We were chatting about how we were going to readjust back in to society. We made a pact that we’d help each other out with any problems in re-integrating. We decided that we’d debrief over one last cup of croffee at my partner’s house the next morning.

Last drop down a canyon.

YIKES!!! Not ready for this scene. Oh well, what can you do? It would only be a matter of days until another 4 day ride would come together which I’ve decided to take you along on as well. More soon……..

Day 10
Mileage: A bunch
Difficulty: a few moves that were mentally challenging
Flat tires: holly crap, I can’t FREAKING BELIEVE IT!!! ZERO!!
Used head gasket: just like new
Suburbia: not a pretty sight

Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #120
Mark950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Excellent trip and report.