ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Ask Baldy, blame AceRph
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Ignore Poll. Came in with merge.
yes 0 0%
no 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
brianstanfill OP
has adventure

Oddometer: 222
MOD EDIT:

Tapatalk threads are popping up here and there, so this will be the place to talk about that app and to help each other solve issues with it.

Tapatalk does not come from ADV Rider. The ads you see are a product of Tapatalk, not ADV Rider.

The site does not have a relationship with Tapatalk, we just allow it to interact with the site.

Wonkiness on Tapatalk is 99% going to be a Tapatalk issue, not an ADV Rider issue.

All threads with Tapatalk in the title that I can find will be merged into this thread.

A few iPhone app requests have surfaced in the past. I recently researched the topic and found a potential solution.

An upgrade of the vBulletin software to v3.7 or v3.8 and the enabling of the Tapatalk plugin (free) may make advrider an iPhone friendly experience while I'm on the road. The Tapatalk iPhone app is only $3 and offers a trial period to test compatibility.

Forum admins, you can read more here (http://tapatalk.com/plugin/)
Quote:
FAQ from Forum Owner:

Q: How much does it cost?
A: As a forum owner you are free to publish your forum to a Tapatalk Network, however we charge a US$2.99 a copy of Tapatalk iPhone downloaded from the Apple App Store.

Q: Which forum system does it currently support?
A: Currently phpBB3 and vBulletin 3.7 and 3.8 are supported.

Tour of the Americas: August 16, 2010 - present

Retro screwed with this post 03-31-2015 at 07:57 AM
brianstanfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianstanfill
A few iPhone app requests have surfaced in the past. I recently researched the topic and found a potential solution.

An upgrade of the vBulletin software to v3.7 or v3.8 and the enabling of the Tapatalk plugin (free) may make advrider an iPhone friendly experience while I'm on the road. The Tapatalk iPhone app is only $3 and offers a trial period to test compatibility.

Forum admins, you can read more here (http://tapatalk.com/plugin/)
The interface is so small that you just can't see enough to make looking at something on the Internet worthwhile. You just can't see it.

But if you made something that would work here, that would be great.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
brianstanfill OP
has adventure

Oddometer: 222
Wink

This one looks fairly promising, though not 100% fool proof yet. The reviews in the app store suggest the app needs some improvement but that it is a GREAT deal better than browsing in Safari. A search by 'motorcycle' in the currently supported forums list produces several BMW-related forums already using this plugin.

Tour of the Americas: August 16, 2010 - present
brianstanfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,567
Since I mostly use the new posts tab to view this site, this would be pretty cool app for my Ipod Touch.
Long Island BMW Riders Club- Click here for our website
RonkoRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
YamahaFreak

Oddometer: n/a
Would be great to have a iphone friendly view over tapatalk !
Old 07-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,715
I view and post to ADV from my Android and iPhone all the time. Making it mobi doesn't seem to be an issue...at least not for me.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
mr. matteeanne
Bender can pass him

Oddometer: 14,415
yehaw
Old 07-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 45,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff
I view and post to ADV from my Android and iPhone all the time. Making it mobi doesn't seem to be an issue...at least not for me.
Yeah, I think by the time all these app builders get their mobile-specific clients working, they'll have been left in the dust by mobile browsers with better capabilities.

I agree: ADV on my Droid is perfectly acceptable.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,910
Quote:
Me too, it's just like looking at it on my lap top. I don't get it!
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
monkeyfez
Enabler....

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36
Yeah, I think by the time all these app builders get their mobile-specific clients working, they'll have been left in the dust by mobile browsers with better capabilities.

I agree: ADV on my Droid is perfectly acceptable.

Yup. Never had an issue with my Droid Incredible.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
Mej
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
tapatalk definetly makes using the forum easier on the iphone imo
Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 24,423
Any progress on this?

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
CatCow
Crazy Trucker Dude

Oddometer: 44
I personally have no problems viewing and posting on the site using Safari on the iPhone. Tapatalk is an interesting app, and it has a few small advantages, but I don't know that it's really needed. Since it's a free plugin on the server side, as long as it doesn't cause other problems there doesn't seem to be a reason to avoid it. Then it is up to those Safari-haters out there to decide whether they want to spend $3...

I did find one MC forum I was on that uses Tapatalk, and I'm kinda split on which format I prefer - their regular web site works fine with the iPhone, but there is a definite advantage in loading speed and text size/readability(and no need for zooming in) in Tapatalk.

I HAVE run into several web sites and forums that are not at all iPhone friendly. The majority of the time, the problems revolve around the use of Flash, ActiveX, and Java or JavaScript. Usually excessive use of these things when regular HTML would have been a lot easier and faster to do the same thing, and not caused problems for mobile users. And then there is the whole no Flash on iPhone thing... The other problem is that I have run into a few backgrounds that just don't seem to work with the iPhone. I don't recall the last one I ran into, but there is something about the HTML code for the pages or the background image itself(perhaps some JS fiddling with things in the background?) that cause excessive redraw times when scrolling, similar to what happens when you are scrolling through large images that have been posted in a thread. I don't know if this is as big an issue on the iPhone 4, but it was very noticeable on the 2G and 3G. And no, I haven't had these problems here, just pointing out some things that have caused problems on other sites and forums(and things to avoid doing here perhaps).
CatCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 24,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCow
I personally have no problems viewing and posting on the site using Safari on the iPhone. Tapatalk is an interesting app, and it has a few small advantages, but I don't know that it's really needed. Since it's a free plugin on the server side, as long as it doesn't cause other problems there doesn't seem to be a reason to avoid it. Then it is up to those Safari-haters out there to decide whether they want to spend $3...

I did find one MC forum I was on that uses Tapatalk, and I'm kinda split on which format I prefer - their regular web site works fine with the iPhone, but there is a definite advantage in loading speed and text size/readability(and no need for zooming in) in Tapatalk.

I do it all the time as well, but when you're using a public wifi or a shared DSL (like I do at work) Tapatalk loads three or four times faster than the site proper.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
Wataboutya
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Tapatalk for iPhone Andoid?

New here, spend maore time on my iPhone than pc, any chance someones considered adding Tapatalk compatibility to the forum?

Find myself using it daily for another site since they did, Xrv.

Costs users a few quid to buy the app but allows pic upload from phone, easy browsing and organising. Also downloads threads to phone with far less mb's which is quicker on a mobile and cheaper if using mobile web/3G.
Wataboutya is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: