Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #2356
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert-31320
If you are using Windows based computer, you can use Windows Movie Maker. It makes it real simple to edit movies with pictures and/or videos. Simple to add any music you want to it as well.
But with YouTube you can add "legit" music if you can't get permission from the copyright holdeblah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...
Old 03-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #2357
rogue male
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for that DP.

We've been down to the local BMW dealership and she's sat on the new 650 and found the seat height ok.(It had been factory lowered)

She's going to take one out for a test ride once her physio gives her a green light.(6 weeks fingers crossed) Hopefully the fact that the new 650 is a twin will negate the vibes at speed that all singles have.

I'm taking the 800 for a test ride at the same time. The plan being that if we like them she'll sell her GXR6 and i'll sell my CB1300 and my Africa Twin(will be like selling my soul but needs must ). I will be keeping my KLX for off roading though.

She's asked me to ask if you had problems getting your riding boot on?? Her ankle is still swollen now and i think she's worried that it won't go down enough for her to wear the Sidi Blackrains that i bought her just before the break!

I'm sure there will be more questions as the weeks go on.

Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #2358
the darth peach OP
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue male
Thanks for that DP.

We've been down to the local BMW dealership and she's sat on the new 650 and found the seat height OK.(It had been factory lowered)

She's going to take one out for a test ride once her physio gives her a green light.(6 weeks fingers crossed) Hopefully the fact that the new 650 is a twin will negate the vibes at speed that all singles have.

I'm taking the 800 for a test ride at the same time. The plan being that if we like them she'll sell her GXR6 and i'll sell my CB1300 and my Africa Twin(will be like selling my soul but needs must ). I will be keeping my KLX for off roading though.

She's asked me to ask if you had problems getting your riding boot on?? Her ankle is still swollen now and i think she's worried that it won't go down enough for her to wear the Sidi Blackrains that i bought her just before the break!

I'm sure there will be more questions as the weeks go on.

Thanks again.
I have the SMX plus alpinestars boots. The desire to ride outweighed the discomfort and the support of the inner boot felt just like my air cast, but WAY more comfortable. I still can do more wearing my boots than I can in reg shoes!

After the second break though, I bought a pair of boots that were a size too big to accommodate the swelling. Eventually I went back down to my reg size.
I also still wear very thin socks because the ankle still swells.

The key is to get the boot ON before that happens :) and elevate when you get to wherever.

BUT, MOST IMPORTANTLY, WAIT until there is no risk of doing further damage to the injured part.
The first few rides on a bum ankle can be and should be very tentative.

Which ankle is it?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #2359
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
So for your new title.........DOCTOR The Darth Peach

On a serious side it always good to find someone who has had similar probs and is somewhat over them so you can start to see the light at the end
Old 03-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #2360
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach
Which ankle is it?
The bottom one, I'm guessing.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #2361
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,645
Quote:
Having read about you ankle injury i thought i'd share my partners break with you.
All of our friends thought she'd either A. Binned her Gixxer6 (does ride like a loon) or B. Had a main gyro failure due to over consumption of the old "vino collapso"!(has been known to partake of a wine or 6)

All wrong.

Lets go for a nice healthy walk on the beach with the dog. Middle of nowhere, no phone signal, slips on a bit of wet wood, ankle tucks under her as she falls. Foot now at 90% to leg. Bummer. Cue an hours drive to nearest hospital.

In hospital for a week waiting for swelling to go down before they can operate. Plate and pins inserted. In plaster for 6 weeks. Had the plaster off this week and if she works hard with the physiotherapy she might be back on her bike in 6 weeks.

We're looking at getting her a GS650 as we want to do some touring round Europe and the "pocket rocket" aint suitable. How did you find the "baby beemer" after your injury?

Have tried to download some photos but the site won't? let me.
If Doctor Peach will allow me, I would like to add a bit to this discussion. My wife was reaching for a box of pancake mix on the top shelf of the cabinet last November. She's short, and when she pulled the box out she knocked off a glass bottle of worcestershire (sp?) sauce. The bottle broke on top of her bare foot and severed the tendon that connects to the big toe. This of course resulted in severe pain and bleeding, and she was now bare foot in the middle of a floor full of broken glass. I bandaged her up as best I could and we made a trip to the emergency room. To make a long story short, she is walking again (finally!) but she will never be the same. Long walks are out of the question for her. I just wanted to empathize a little bit. Oh yeah, it took several weeks before she was finally able to put on a normal pair of shoes again, and she still likes them loose. In the meantime we dealt with a wheelchair, and then a walker, then a walking cast, then a special walking shoe, before she ever got back to a normal shoe.

If you like the BMW 650 GS, take a look at the Kawasaki Versys also. That's the way I would go if I was looking for a bike in that category.

Thank you, Doctor Peach, for your indulgence. Please carry on with your mischief...

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 03-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #2362
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,203
hijack on!

The tendon that bends the big toe, or the tendon that straightens it (flexor v. extensor)?

hijack off!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #2363
Dave-in-Turkey
Mild Mannered Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Which ankle is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycos

IF YOU DON'T RIDE, YOU DON'T KNOW.....
Old 03-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #2364
the darth peach OP
eats crackers in bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-in-Turkey
Quote:

Quote:
Which ankle is it?

Quote:

I don't get it.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #2365
the darth peach OP
eats crackers in bed

Quote:
hijack on!

The tendon that bends the big toe, or the tendon that straightens it (flexor v. extensor)?

hijack off!
Must

remember

to

lock

basement

door.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #2366
rogue male
n00b

It's her right ankle. She has a 6" scar on the outside of her leg where they put the plate and 8 small pins and a 4" scar on the inside where a large pin was put in. Using Bio-oil to try to reduce the scarring.

She can't even get her normal shoes on yet so don't think she'll be trying on her bike boots for awhile yet.

Between her, her boss, the doc and the physio they have deccided that she can go back to work at the end of next week. Only half days to start with and restricted in what she can do. Also planned breaks so she can do her physio exercises. I'll be ferrying her back and forth to work in the car.

Think it'll do her good as she's going stir crazy in the house.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #2367
the darth peach OP
eats crackers in bed

Quote:
It's her right ankle. She has a 6" scar on the outside of her leg where they put the plate and 8 small pins and a 4" scar on the inside where a large pin was put in. Using Bio-oil to try to reduce the scarring.

She can't even get her normal shoes on yet so don't think she'll be trying on her bike boots for awhile yet.

Between her, her boss, the doc and the physio they have deccided that she can go back to work at the end of next week. Only half days to start with and restricted in what she can do. Also planned breaks so she can do her physio exercises. I'll be ferrying her back and forth to work in the car.

Think it'll do her good as she's going stir crazy in the house.
Well the good news is that it's not the shifter! I'm guessing she's more inclined to use the front brake anyway? Plus the weight of the bike when she goes to park wont be so bad because it'll be on the good foot....
She'll figure it all out once she gets the bug BAD
You learn in hurry what you can and can't do with a healing injury!
Best wishes again!!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #2368
rogue male
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker
So for your new title.........DOCTOR The Darth Peach

On a serious side it always good to find someone who has had similar probs and is somewhat over them so you can start to see the light at the end
We'd made the plans to get touring bikes and do Scottish Highlands at Easter in prep for a trip into Spain and Portugal in the Summer. All that is on hold now till we get her fully sorted. I don't want her rushing to get back on a bike and ending up really hurting herself. Hopefully DP's experiences regarding her injured ankle will help in my partners recovery process.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #2369
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919
Rogue Male, hope she heals and recovery goes well.

DP Tribute Shot

On way to Reddish Knob, VA this afternoon
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada

HBN screwed with this post 03-11-2009 at 07:14 PM
Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #2370
the darth peach OP
eats crackers in bed

NICE!!!!!

Closed Thread