ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
El Brad OP
Leave it long on top

Oddometer: 445
Thumbs down ,Paving Trail Creek Road....

Came back from a ride yesterday by way of Trail Creek, was stopped by a flagman that said the road was being paved, a three year process to finish it from 93 to the summit. This year it will be paved from the existing asphalt at the east end to first bridge over the Big Lost River The flagman did not know about any paving plans down from the summit towards Sun Valley. Bummer, it will become just another road to pass Harleys and motorhomes on.
El Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 515
Your ARRA dollars at work. Here in western Washington the majority of Stimulus spending was paving forest roads frpm I90 to the trailheads.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,299
This is indeed sad news, especially if they pave the Sun Valley side. Good bye to the isolation and loneliness of Copper Basin.
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Metalcarver
Geezer Berserker

Oddometer: 327
sux

The Meandering Geezer in Idaho Escape from Idaho metalcarver.com Panoramio
Metalcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,063
Idaho needs to take care of the paved roads they already have. They suck! We don't need more pavement to maintain. They just wasted $9 million on I84 repaving 12 miles from the Oregon border east. There was nothing wrong with the pavement there! Read this article: http://www.idahopress.com/members/pu...e2dc9d9b2.html
Old 10-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
BeemerBOI
Dirt n00b

Oddometer: 46
The (mostly) official party line:
http://www.noodls.com/view/38604D62E...5xxx1403825256

Interesting there is nothing about long range plans. Not sure that a flagger is the best source for information.

Based on the last time I went over Trail Creek on the Sun Valley side, they are going to need more than 4 million to widen, pave and put guard rails on it. I can understand an all weather road from 93, given the increasing number of recreational users in Copper Basin. I was dodging more ATV's than cars on the way down to Hwy 93. But paving from the summit to Sun Valley makes no sense.

Besides, the folks in Sun Valley need somewhere to test out the 4WD in their new Hummers, don't they?

Alvord or Bust
BeemerBOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
El Brad OP
Leave it long on top

Oddometer: 445
Looked at the I.D.T. site and found this...

4) Add FH-66, Trail Creek Highway Stage 1, Custer County, to the Public Lands Highway Discretionary Program. Congress awarded $3.75 million via an FY10 Appropriations’ Act earmark of Public Lands Highway Discretionary funds to the Lost River Highway District to reconstruct the Trail Creek Highway, Forest Highway 66, near Mackay. Staff requests adding this project, which will reconstruct the remaining gravel surface, to FY12 of the Public Lands Highway Discretionary Program. Because the award is insufficient to fund the entire route, the first stage will begin approximately 12 miles west of US-93 and proceed until the funding is exhausted. The Lost River Highway District intends to solicit Congress for additional funding until the entire route is reconstructed.
El Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
BeemerBOI
Dirt n00b

Oddometer: 46
Yep. And they did say Stage 1, although I still cannot find anything (at the moment) relating to long term planning that states the intent or goal. It appears that the Lost River Highway District is the recipient of the funding, so I.T.D may only be managing the federal funding.

ITD Board Minutes

I did run across an interesting set of maps while trying to find out who has jurisdiction.

Lost River Highway District Surface Map

ITD has an entire listing of maps, by county, which appears to be an inventory of state roads, with a surface type (pavement, oiled, gravel & dirt).
These could be handy as an additional resource for plotting routes, but I think I'll stick to just digging through Metalcarvers ride reports.

Alvord or Bust
BeemerBOI is offline   Reply With Quote