User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 277
Cry Cleaning oxidised alluminium

I am cleaning a alfa romeo 2 litre engine up.
The whole engine is dull a very dark grey, i have managed to get the rocker cover looking better but not without a lot of slow hard work.
I usualy just use magbrite or solvolautosol but this engine is the worst thing i have ever tried to pollish up. .
Any ideas tricks on speeding this job up or it it just going to take foreever .
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY View Post
I am cleaning a alfa romeo 2 litre engine up.
The whole engine is dull a very dark grey, i have managed to get the rocker cover looking better but not without a lot of slow hard work.
I usualy just use magbrite or solvolautosol but this engine is the worst thing i have ever tried to pollish up. .
Any ideas tricks on speeding this job up or it it just going to take foreever .

SOS pads work great on aluminum like that. They will leave a near original finish. Some elbow grease required. Clean the engine with GUNK Engine degreaser first.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Langanobob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Matty, we need to see pictures, not just the aluminum rocker cover, the whole project car.

Bob
Langanobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
You're trading effort against ease. The easy way is to take the parts to a powder coater and have them clear coated. They'll soda CO2 or otherwise grit blast and clean/polish. Then coat with clear. Done and done but, you wallet will be lighter.
You could also have them powder coat in a metal finish as well that will be much more durable than original.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,478
Well stated by 74C,

I recently had some aluminum wheels and a swing arm blasted and powder coated (black). They also did some form of chemical dip/rinse prep too.

I was surprised to see as I was popping off stick on wheel weights that what I had thought were "natural aluminum" wheels were really coated with some fine silver metallic finish from Kawasaki, as 74C stated, it would be easier to maintain than real bare aluminum.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
Langanobob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
I'm probably too old school for my own good but I really prefer the looks of uncoated polished aluminum. High maintenance, yes, but a part like a rocker doesn't have a lot of area.

I'd run it up against a buffing wheel with the appropriate buffing compound and only do the inaccessible corners and crevices by hand.

Bob
Langanobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
steam cleaned in UK?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,481
Soda blasting if you just want it clean. No need for an expensive blaster either. An air compressor, a duster gun, and a length of vinyl hose will do the trick. Just make a small slit in the tube about 2" from the end, insert your duster, and dip the other end of the house in a box of baking soda. Works amazingly well, at about 80 PSI or higher. I do old carbs like that.

To polish - follow by Mother's Mag Polish if you just want it shiny. If you want mirror shine, use some 400, then 600 grit wet sandpaper (keep it wet), followed by Mag polish.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
Grimreaper7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Another for soda blasting, I bought the grit blaster kit from Machine Mart here
Sleeve the pickup tube down to about 4mm or else you'll regret it.
Buy 50kg bags of bicarbonate of soda from local farm feeds supply store. (£12-£15)
Sieve the bicarbonate into the hopper to remove lumps, and get the air feed as dry as you can.
Blast away OUTDOORS! Wash off with warm water afterwards.
I rebuilt an engine last winter and cleaned up everything with it, the piston tops came up so clean you could see the machining marks on them 10 years later.
Cylinder head as clean as the day it was ported, gearbox, clutch bell housing and engine blocks too (clear coated afterwards to keep them that way).
Grimreaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
Baroquenride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Vapor blasting will make the aluminum look brand new and actually closes the pores making it impermeable to grease and dirt stains.