User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 AM   #1
oughtsix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Re-installing a culvert under a driveway

I have a culvert under my asphalt driveway that is starting to wash out. It started with a couple of big potholes and now the bottom has fallen out of one of them. I can also see the stream go underground before the entrance to the culvert, so I assume my best option is a reinstallation. Culvert is plastic and seems fine. Any idea what it would cost to get it reset? I assume like most things it will come out cheaper to pay someone with a real machine to come out for a few than me renting a baby machine for a weekend and putzing around with it. I'm fine with redoing the surface and finish work...I just don't own a track hoe...

If i had to guess I'd say 85 an hour or so...
Old 05-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 1,073
Hard to tell without dimentions, and surface re-treatment (dirt, concrete, ashphalt)
Plastic culvert can be a shovel job depending on how big it is.
Cut the asphalt with a skillsaw and diamond blade. Yank it out with a come-along. clean up the ditch, then reset. Maybe pour a small upstream abutment.
Got a picture?

A cold guess would be somewhere around a Grand, that seems to be the number for a day job with a man and machine here.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtsix View Post
I have a culvert under my asphalt driveway that is starting to wash out. It started with a couple of big potholes and now the bottom has fallen out of one of them. I can also see the stream go underground before the entrance to the culvert, so I assume my best option is a reinstallation. Culvert is plastic and seems fine. Any idea what it would cost to get it reset? I assume like most things it will come out cheaper to pay someone with a real machine to come out for a few than me renting a baby machine for a weekend and putzing around with it. I'm fine with redoing the surface and finish work...I just don't own a track hoe...

If i had to guess I'd say 85 an hour or so...
It would take my backhoe guy 4 hours with a ground helper to install 2 20 ft sections of 18" plastic from scratch with no asphalt, 18" deep at the mouth, up to 4' deep at the outlet depending on slope across a 20' road. Can't help you without more information. Sizes, etc. Tractor guys generally have a setup fee or minimum hour charge. Where is the water going now, maybe you just need to get the water back in the pipe and fill your holes from the top.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
This is one of those times where pictures and a real location would really help.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
oughtsix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
The asphalt top is about 12 feet wide, pipe may be 18 total. I'll try to get some pics up, will have to wait though. It's raining. Hard. Again. Shouldn't complain though, in 2009 and 2010 it rained three times between mid May and September...
Call my location north central Louisiana.
More to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtsix View Post
The asphalt top is about 12 feet wide, pipe may be 18 total. I'll try to get some pics up, will have to wait though. It's raining. Hard. Again. Shouldn't complain though, in 2009 and 2010 it rained three times between mid May and September...
Call my location north central Louisiana.
More to come.
I hope you're taking care of that water running under it, now is the time to be out there...
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM   #7
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 13,317
I'm assuming since you said "stream" that the culvert is not in a road ditch. In my 'hood, some local governments will set road culvert when the owner provides materials.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote