User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
jmil OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
First Gas Tank Swap

I'll be pulling the stock tank off of a dr650 and replacing it with the the IMS this weekend. I realize it's really simple, and I've done much more complicated things (valve adjustments), but I have a few questions.

What's the best way to get the fuel out of the old tank and safely into the new tank, and how to do I prep the old tank to store it in my apartment? I'll doing this in a shared garage so I have to be neat.

Pull old tank, mount new tank, transfer fuel, cap off vacuum line on carb. Am I missing anything?

Thanks.
jmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,053
I'd siphon as much of the old fuel as possible out of the stock tank, maybe into a gas can or something "non-OSHA / EPA approved." Or ride the bike until you hit reserve, them do the swap. But I would also filter the fuel from the old tank as you put it into the new tank (especially if you have any rust or contaminated fuel in the stocker) with a coffee filter and funnel maybe? Obviously I wouldn't do this around any open flames or while you're smoking. If there is any chance of explosion be sure to have your GoPro running. Good luck!
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM   #3
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,001
Your local ACE hardware or Dollar store might have a fuel safe hand pump siphon.

I've had good luck with this one
American Wick® Hand Operated Siphon Pump (SI-60)

Get a gas can (or borrow one from a friend)

Drain old gas into can I use a small mesh tea strainer to catch any junk when I'm transferring.

Once that is done, or mostly done it's near impossible to get all the gas out of the old tank

Then it's a matter of swapping the tanks and then the gas.

Taking the petcock off the old tank will help get some more fuel out of it

but without washing it out it's going to be a challenge to get all the gas out
and without all the gas out I wouldn't put a tank in my house.

You might be able to take it to a local shop and see if they would flush the tank out,
People can get kind of funny if they see someone filling gas tank with water and draining it in the street.
Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM   #4
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,486
Set your petcock to pri and let it drain out into a gas can after unbolting it (tank). Once it's empty, tip it to the left and drain more out. You'll just need a block to rest the can on or a longer piece of fuel line and to pull the fuel line off the carb. You can turn the petcock off and run it to drain the line or catch it in a rag or just wipe it up.

All that said, I cant remember what the stock Dr petcock settings are but I'm almost sure pri was one. If there's no off, just pull the vac line and plug it. It'll stop the fuel flow in on/res.

You can also just pull the tank and dump it into the new via the fill hole. Just use a funnel. There's quite a few ways to empty a stock tank. Going through the petcock will filter the existing fuel though.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #5
Sevv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
If you have a deck or patio I'd leave the old a tank out there for a couple of weeks with the cap off and covered loosely with a tented tarp to let the remainder of the gas evaporate.
Sevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:00 AM   #6
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,688
I am not sure I would wash it out with water, like what was said above. It is probably harder to get all the remaining water out and you'll end up with surface rust.

To drain the fuel, I would pull the fuel line off the carb, put the bike on PRI and let the fuel drain out of the hose into a fuel can. Once the tank is off, you can probably turn it upside down and get pretty close to all of it out. Lastly, blow it out with composed air (outside) or leave it outside like what was suggested above.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote