Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #166
Haasenpfeffer
Training wheels R off

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj
Not calling anyone a liar, but.... I'm pretty sure they tackled this on on mythbusters. Didn't work for them. When I heard about it I had to try it. I can say 100% for sure it doesn't work with a 2007 F150, 2008 Dodge Caliber, a 2005 Chrysler 300 or Chrysler Pacifica or a Mazda 6 I don't know the year of. When conducting my test, I worked at a dealer that sells Harley and Honda. I can also promise it doesnt work for the Key fob to disable the Harley security system. Nor will the one to pop the trunk on a Goldwing work.

Not sceintific testing I know, but it's what I had available. Oh BTW, also won't work for opening any garage door I've tried.
Just looked up that episode and will have to conduct my own experiment. It worked in San Fran when my parents were still in the zoo and I need to get daipers out of your mini van in the parking lot. Maybe they were closer then I thought or it may be cell phone provider. I know I called a bunch of BS when I first heard it in a bar. I will hopefully be able to get some results soon.
Haasenpfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #167
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,166
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasenpfeffer
If you find yourself in the akward place of your keys being inside your car and you on the outside while the doors are locked.

If you have an extra car remote at home (and someone there to call). Give them a call with your cell phone and have them press the remote into the receiver while you hold the phone towards the car. The signal will unlock the car door.

Trust me, it works. I have helped many people out of a jam this way.
No Go.
The technologies don't bridge the gaps in this case... (what ibafran said)

Quote:
worked on both saturns and a dodge van
doesn't sound like "many people" who've been helped out of their jam...
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #168
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill
I decide to look in the tool kit under my seat for any possible tool or part to Macgyver a fix. I notice my seat cusion foam, and the lightbulb goes on. Take a small piece of the foam and jam it between the arm of the points and the condensor - voila, enough "spring" tension to make the points close ok up to about 2200 RPM - just enough to get back to the road under power.
I just love it when a plan comes together.
First place Macgyver in my book.
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
GSMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:09 AM   #169
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill
Riding in difficult, rocky terrain, my buddy's 1970 Suzuki 250 conks out. Fuel is ok, but no spark from coil. Old-style magneto ignition with points and condensor behind crankshaft mounted flywheel. Looking through small slot in flywheel, I can see that the spring metal band that acts as a return spring to close the points is broken, the points just flapping around. With no spare points or flywheel puller, and at least 5 miles from a road, we weigh our options. Too rocky to tow out with a bike or 4X4. Finally figure that we will have to find a hiding place for the bike, come back the next day with parts & tools - three hours round trip from home. Just before dragging the bike off the trail, I decide to look in the tool kit under my seat for any possible tool or part to Macgyver a fix. I notice my seat cusion foam, and the lightbulb goes on. Take a small piece of the foam and jam it between the arm of the points and the condensor - voila, enough "spring" tension to make the points close ok up to about 2200 RPM - just enough to get back to the road under power.
I just love it when a plan comes together.
Now you've gone and jump from MacGuyver to The A-Team! Don't use and A-Team fix on your bike, IIRC their stuff usually blew up.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #170
Haasenpfeffer
Training wheels R off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo
Now you've gone and jump from MacGuyver to The A-Team! Don't use and A-Team fix on your bike, IIRC their stuff usually blew up.
Also with an A-Team fix it is not complete without a cigar hanging out the side of your mouth an AK 47 in one hand and someone yellin in the back groung "I Pity the Fool"
Old 06-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #171
nitsuj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Ok, as a child of the 80's and a huge TV geek, I need to make a correction. The A-Team used Ruger Mini 14's.
And Mr. T (BA) never said "I pitty the fool" on the A-Team. That was from Rocky 3.

Try to keep it straight people!

nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #172
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,189
R60/2...6 volt magneto....condenser suspect?....
I take it off...Made In East Germany...
The recommended replacement....
FD77....
1973 Ford Torino....doesn't matter what model...
Vech sells 'em.....
Autozone....
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #173
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasenpfeffer
Maybe I have just lucked out then

It has worked on both of my saturns LW2 2000 and SW1 2000. Also worked for my 2006 Dodge Caravan. Maybe I should start doing a check on each car I get a chance on.
This is cool. I was wondering what cell phone carrier and phone model you were using. The cell phone carriers use a couple of different carriers for signal transmission i.e CDMA or GSM.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #174
Haasenpfeffer
Training wheels R off

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingAgin
This is cool. I was wondering what cell phone carrier and phone model you were using. The cell phone carriers use a couple of different carriers for signal transmission i.e CDMA or GSM.
At&t is my cell phone provider and a CRACKberry is my phone.

Need to get off my ARSE and do a quick test with it.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #175
Haasenpfeffer
Training wheels R off

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj
Ok, as a child of the 80's and a huge TV geek, I need to make a correction. The A-Team used Ruger Mini 14's.
And Mr. T (BA) never said "I pitty the fool" on the A-Team. That was from Rocky 3.

Try to keep it straight people!

Thank you for the corrections. At least I got the cigar right.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #176
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo
Any A-Team fix requires an oxy-acetylene torch set - anyone got a good story there?

BTW, I don't recall Macgyver using condoms for any of his tricks. I'll bet he would if they brought back the show today.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #177
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,457
Marlboro Man

While riding my 1968 Honda CL-450 the engine just dies. Found no spark from either coil; traced it to blown fuse. "Stole" a fuse from the lighting circuit (it was daytime). Bike started and ran a few miles, then died with fuse blown again. Knowing that most of the wiring connections are in the headlight housing, I take a look. Found the insulation worn and shorting to ground on one wire. I re-route the wire so it can't short out, but have no more fuses. Deciding that I need some nicotine to raise my brain function, I reach for my trusty box of Marlboros, open the top and what do I see? Metal Foil packaging! Tear off the requisite sized foil, wrap the blown fuse (old-style tubular glass), and re-install. Drove home with no problem. Fortunately, I was able to kick the nasty habit in 1979, but continued to keep some foil in my tool kit until newer bikes came with prong style fuses.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #178
sp4ce
Orange Invader

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingAgin

This is a stretch for a good Macgyver moment, but the story suggests a possible explanation in the cell phone/car opener debate.

When I was in college one of my room mates had an ancient hand-me-down television with a primitive remote control. The remote had two spring loaded buttons that struck internal tuning forks and the different tones produced by them changed channels up or down. Once during a fit of extreme laziness when the remote was nowhere to be found, I discovered that you could change channels by holding up your keys and violently shaking them to produce loud jingling. It wasn't very efficient, as it produced random changes in both directions, but it was strangely satisfying. The real remote turned up shortly thereafter but we never used it much after that.
sp4ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #179
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4ce
The remote had two spring loaded buttons that struck internal tuning forks and the different tones produced by them changed channels up or down. Once during a fit of extreme laziness when the remote was nowhere to be found, I discovered that you could change channels by holding up your keys and violently shaking them to produce loud jingling. It wasn't very efficient, as it produced random changes in both directions, but it was strangely satisfying. The real remote turned up shortly thereafter but we never used it much after that.
When I was a kid, I had one of those Fisher Price toy phones with the annoying bell ringing dial. Instant channel change + instantly pissed Mom = great fun.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #180
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,166
Not Mine

Not Mine, but
Lots here (thereIfixedit.com)
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote