User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #181
Bigsteve
Total Gear Nerd

Oddometer: 4
Talking Stranded

My hydraulic clutch failed on a 73 Triumph Spitfire I had. I wandered up and down the road and found some bread ties, a spray can cap, a McDonalds napkin...and part of a circuit card from a Volvo instrument cluster!? The only tool I had was a pair of pliers.

I knew I would probably only manage to round off bolts and fittings with it, the layout of hardware was nasty and tight. I decided that if I just held on real tight and leaned on the hardware instead of trying to get a turn the time might help. It did, but the worst bolt (under the master cylinder and inside a narroww bracket) took several tries of a minute or two each. Pretty exhausting.

I used the napkin to sop fluid out the master and squeezed it into the cap which I also used to catch the drip from the pipe fittings. Once the master cylinder was out things got much easier.

It turned out the return spring had corroded in the middle and collapsed around itself and interfered with the check valve as well. I stripped the plastic off the bread wrapper ties and laced the spring back together. It took a long long time to do this. I had barely enough fluid on hand to wet the bottom of the fuid cup so really could not bleed the thing. But it was enough to shift gears by double clutching and get me home. I did all of this in the dark too and ended up getting home just 40 minutes before I had to be at work. Pretty exhausting but I think I'm most proud of that McGyver moment.
Bigsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #182
Patriot4570
Trail Blaster

Oddometer: 2,731
In Portugal one year I had trouble finding a euro adapter for my cell phone charger.I went to a store and got a small multimeter the kind that has leads and you can check voltages with. I went back to my room and could not find a knife except for a plastic one. I had a disposable razor so I cut the wires on the leads to the multimeter so I could wrap them around the holes on the charger. After wrapping the wires I inserted the metal part of the leads in the wall outlet to charge the phone.

Douglas Mac Arthur

Patriot4570 screwed with this post 11-05-2009 at 01:39 PM
Patriot4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #183
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,333
Thumb Spring Removal "Tool(s)"

I don't recall if it was this thread or not, but someone suggested using washers to fill the spaces between turns in a spring, compressing the shaft (whatever the spring was springing), and just removing the spring simply that way - without it shooting off into space. I finally got to try it, and thought the pictures may be helpful:

Before (springs packed with coins, now kickstand moved to shorten spring length)

After (Spring conveniently removed, with coins still packed, ready to reattach later with minimal problem)
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Herding drunk cats drunk. That takes it up a notch.
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #184
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
back in highschool (40 years ago), my brother in law and i went fishing. there was an old boat there made from two old 40 model for truck hoods. we lifted it to set it in the water and a thousand snakes came out and into the water--more than 3 but less than a thousand, but u get the picture. so we're usiing two old boards for paddles and 5 minutes in the water and the bboat is leaking. my brother in law touched the leaky weld spot and the leak became a hole! so he stuffed his gum into it and it satopped the leak. wae fished for awhile until the gum got hard and had to be replaced. DID I MENTION THAT THERE WERE SNAKES EVERYWHERE AROUND THAT POND!
kitesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #185
catzass
Triple Pilot

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust
I don't recall if it was this thread or not, but someone suggested using washers to fill the spaces between turns in a spring, compressing the shaft (whatever the spring was springing), and just removing the spring simply that way - without it shooting off into space. I finally got to try it, and thought the pictures may be helpful:

Before (springs packed with coins, now kickstand moved to shorten spring length)

After (Spring conveniently removed, with coins still packed, ready to reattach later with minimal problem)
I think this is what you call "penny tech"
catzass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #186
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
cool idear/method,will quarteres werk ?,what aboot nikles ?
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #187
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop20A
cool idear/method,will quarteres werk ?,what aboot nikles ?
Anything the correct thickness works, even use washers. I have more coins around washers, use what ya got, ride what ya brung...
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Herding drunk cats drunk. That takes it up a notch.
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #188
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Penny tech

Doing my daily loose fastener check on my KLR on the Trans Labrador highway. It had actually been a couple of days, so of course I found one bolt missing and another loose. Didn't have the right size wrench....slipped a coin in the loose space between the wrench and bolt head and worked like a charm. Sent that in to the BMW ON and they used it in the Touring Tips section...I left out the KLR part though...
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #189
mhaas
intrpd travlrwanabe

Oddometer: 184
air brakes

I used to drive a 16' C60(?) flatbed truck around the DC metro area delivering construction equipment. About once a month an air line would split due to corosion from its early life a quarry truck. Having the rear tires lock as the air dumps in I95 rush traffic is fun.
Duct tape, ballpoint pens, safty wire and any thing else I could find in the ditch of the moment. Only had to get towed once when the compresser went solid.
mhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #190
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
ok, this was about when the eagles hotel california album came out,we all were camping and riding out of camp ellindale on forest hwy 7 out of elk creek north cal...great time was being had by all except for a dairy farmer friend of mine from orland...he had an old bultaco,proly an early matador ? i dunno it was long ago..any way not anybody that i know dropped their jetting for the alt. 3,ooo+ exspecially the friend with the claped out bul ! it was running richer than a jew in a jewelry store,wouldn't even come close to cleaning out WOT,well it was a 2 day deal and i got idea after remembering i had red loctite in my toolbox....long to short i used i think a paper clip wire to undersize the main-jet with the loctite as a filler,i think i even had the presence of mind to coat the wire with a bit of grease to act as mold release !! next morning after droping the needle as well,re-adjusted low speed screw,man that old bultaco roosted all day like it never had !! i know you may call bullshit on this but,fukit it happened and i'll never forget how happy dude was that day...now the rest of the story of course back at the ranch he never re-jetted and siezed that motor titer than you know what !!
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #191
Hay
Norwegian

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust
" without it shooting off into space."
Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #192
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,427
Last week I had to caulk the seams of the saw cuts in my shop floor. At about 300 linear feet, I had to have a plan. When I was done, I had used a tapered section of Carbon Fiber golf club shaft, the barrel of a Sharpie pen, some glue, a small drill bit and a length of duct tape to fashion a slip-on extendion for the caulk tube that squirted the sealer directly into the crack. I then sat on my creeper and rolled around the shop for a few hours with my kids help to wipe the joints clean.
My sons then saw grandpas work on his driveway and said that "ours looks WAY better".
Do I get bonus points for impressing the kids?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #193
Wreck™
Wreck™

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasenpfeffer
If you find yourself in the akward place of your keys being inside your car and you on the outside while the doors are locked.

If you have an extra car remote at home (and someone there to call). Give them a call with your cell phone and have them press the remote into the receiver while you hold the phone towards the car. The signal will unlock the car door.

Trust me, it works. I have helped many people out of a jam this way.
In the 80's I was engineer on a large private sailboat, after installing some newfangled 12V DC flourescent lights we discovered that when turned on they would often turn some of the TV's off or on.

They gave off crazy radio when starting.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #194
Haasenpfeffer
Training wheels R off

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck™
In the 80's I was engineer on a large private sailboat, after installing some newfangled 12V DC flourescent lights we discovered that when turned on they would often turn some of the TV's off or on.

They gave off crazy radio when starting.
Haasenpfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #195
byker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
While on a trip to West Virginia, my buddies 1200GS developed a leak around the valve stem as it exited the rim. Not haveing a spare valve and nowhere in site to find one, I used crazy glue to make the repair. After airing up the tire, we rode another 5 days and 3000 kilometers without a problem. Always carry crazy glue!
87 K100 RS (200,000 Km +)
byker is offline   Reply With Quote