Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #226
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,735

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee
Tube shredded, all out of spares. Fill tire with dirt and got out of the woods(7 miles) and out to the main road.
Nice one!

Done that before with wet sand.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #227
Lord-Humongous
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
CR500 Clutch

I was out woods riding with some friends. About 25 miles from the truck. One of my friends who rides a Cr500 is way too Hamfisted burns his clutch plates down so far that even with both of the cable adjusters slaked off the pressure plate was still being held off from letting the clutch hook.
We even tried taking the cable out of the perch.
I took the clutch cover off for a closer look. After almost puking from the smell I took a piece of nylon tow rope (parachute cord) and installed it under the pressure plate to take up the space of the accumulated friction plate thickness loss. Buttened it back up and JACKPOT!
Made it back no problems.
Got a free steak dinner for that one.
Lord-Humongous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #228
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,113

I like this...it has a wonderful "Frankensteinishment" flare.

bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #229
Colonial Mick
Nettle Licker

Oddometer: 2,408
A cable tie poked into a stripped plastic thread works really well.Wood seems to slip out,turn or crush.
You can start a fire with a spark from your spark plug and a small amount of fuel & grass.
Battery can do the same thing but beware the hydrogen gas and remember
the Hindenburg. I am assuming I am telling this to people with common sense.
Fencing wire fixes almost anything
A potato cut in half and wiped across your visor / windscreen causes the rain to just run off and no need for wipers.Wax polish also works.
Chewing gum will fix a puncture in a tube.
.. -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - --. .. ...- . .- ..-. .- - .-. .- - ... - .. -
Colonial Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #230
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,398
Airhead brake cylinder hone

And Harley clutch spring compressor

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #231
flying.moto
Earthbound Misfit, I

Oddometer: 180
I once found myself on top of a mountain with gas gushing out of the carb... literally. my bike must have "pissed" out a gallon or so.

previously: stopping at an instersection the sudden smell of gasoline only sprouted a thought "must be that POS beater truck that with lots of creaking and clunking barely pulled away from the stopsign ahead... my bike doesnt smell

so i come to the top of Mt. Madonna, and the engine quits.... i coast to a stop to find a growing puddle and gas trickling down the side of the engine! oh snap... i was missing the carb drain screw! Out comes the leatherman! The air filter cover, filter and whole box comes off, and i have 2 holes to plug somehow. Two screws were scavenged from the front fender mount, one used where the drain screw would normally go, sealed with a piece of a trash bag found on the roadside, the other screw, with some bag was pushed into a little piece of some drain hose, that was happily dangling below the bike before it was shortened. the hose-screw-trashbag "cap" was reinforced with some zipties borrowed from a wiring bundle and attached to the drain fitting on the carb. Whole mess assembled, got me safely home, some 43 miles away without any further loss of the go-juice.

all that was after the two little sticks i made from a tree refused to plug the carb

never doubt the roadside trashbag to work as a teflon tape!
Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 AM   #232
Matthendurocat
sleeps on ground by bike

Oddometer: 122
The sand trap!

I heard about a guy that drove his dunebuggy down a super steep sandy hill into an area with no other way out. The buggy couldn't make it up the sandy hill when he tried to leave, it just couldn't get enough traction, so he hiked out. The next day he got a couple old rims that would fit his buggy and welded pieces of 6 inch angle iron onto them to make some wicked steel paddle tires. he took them down to the buggy and installed them and came right up out of there! Dont know if its true but it sounds reasonable.
Also, supposedly someone who was out hunting in an old international scout had there clutch go out. They cut their leather belt into strips and put them between the pressure plate and flywheel and made it out.
This thread kicks ass.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #233
Moke
Just Some Asshole

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthendurocat
I heard about a guy that drove his dunebuggy down a super steep sandy hill into an area with no other way out. The buggy couldn't make it up the sandy hill when he tried to leave, it just couldn't get enough traction, so he hiked out. The next day he got a couple old rims that would fit his buggy and welded pieces of 6 inch angle iron onto them to make some wicked steel paddle tires. he took them down to the buggy and installed them and came right up out of there! Dont know if its true but it sounds reasonable.
Not really. I'm surprised he didn't shake the thing to pieces. That much weight unbalanced can really mess things up.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #234
Matthendurocat
sleeps on ground by bike

Oddometer: 122
Yeah but in the sand?

Mabey he took them to the tire shop and had them balanced! I still think it could be true, but ya never know. I am going to see if I can find anything like it on youtube or the net in general. -Matt
Old 10-30-2009, 04:26 AM   #235
Jonex
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 1,357
Want to take the clutch cable out of the lever stay to lube it, but the adjuster won't back off enough and you don't feel like taking stuff apart?

Run the lever end adjuster all the way slack.

Align the slot in the thumb screw with the slot in the jam nut with the slot in the stay so the cable has a clear shot out.

Squeeze the clutch lever.

Pull on the cable housing while holding the clutch squeezed.

Let the clutch lever snap out while pulling hard on the cable housing.

Remove cable.

To replace, do the reverse, but snag the cable housing on the jam nut to hold it while squeezing the lever.
Jonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #236
Sucks2drive
Banned

Oddometer: 3,479
Macgyver license plate holder.

after losing a license plate and having to pay $19 for a new one, with a 2 hour wait at the DMV .............. i decided to make a bracket for my license plate that WON'T break off.

Here is the result, a Rubber tie down strap ( brand new unused no wear!) amd 10 minutes......... job done!

Sucks2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #237
Moke
Just Some Asshole

Oddometer: 81
You might want to put washers under those nuts. I did a similar set up and the strap eventually swallowed the nuts.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #238
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,649
Macgyver

Nothing worse than your nuts being swallowed...sorry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moke
You might want to put washers under those nuts. I did a similar set up and the strap eventually swallowed the nuts.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #239
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Nothing worse than your nuts being swallowed...sorry....
Evidently she was doing it wrong.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #240
Skred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Did you know...

You can jump start a tank with a HUMMER?

The Army has this huge place in the California desert to make loud noises and be rude. It's called the National Training Center, which is not to far from hell. Obviously, it's for training. I got to visit 1989.

You can do a lot of neat things is a tank, but nosing into a ditch and stalling it out is not a good idea. Especially when you're tired and it's your first time in the field. I had to go find these guys when they didn't asnwer the radio.

I found two of the crewmen holding down the driver while the tank commander was pulling cactus spines out of his legs with a pair of pliers.

The short version of the story told by the tank commander was that the driver didn't see the ditch, panicked when he couldn't back out and then ran out across the desert. At night. The long version was a masterpiece of profanity that was rarely matched in my career.

We couldn't get to the battery connector on the outside of the tank, so we stripped some field phone wire, WD-1, a seven strand steel wire, and, carefully, connected the batteries from the HUMMER to the batteries in the tank. Trickle charge for two hours and the tank started up.

While we were trickle charging the tank, we wired a couple of wooden blocks to the bottom of the treads and did the some digging. The TC was able to ease the tank out of the ditch with little damage.

OK, maybe not a motorcycle story, but it's the best I have. My bikes have been pretty reliable. Look up BDAR for more ideas.
Skred is offline   Reply With Quote