Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #241
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun
As an industrial Electrician my world revolves around zip-ties. When you buy them ALWAYS buy the good ones and your melting problems will reduce greatly! A tension gun is a wonderful tool to have! I keep a good supply with me while travelling and for now they function as my quick release luggage mounts!
Just catching up on this very old thread ......

So, where do I buy the good kind of zip ties? It is not like some packages are labeled "bad" and some are "good". They all looked the same to me. ....

EXCEPT ... At Harbor Freight, they sell a package of all stainless steel zip ties. I was tempted but the package was big. Never had a need for metal zip ties. Maybe I should get it anyway and give away small portions to other motorcycle friends. What the hell am I saying? None of my friends carry ANY tools!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #242
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad
Harbor Freight, they sell a package of all stainless steel zip ties.
Nice, I'll need to find some of these. Do you remember the size of the package?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #243
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
Nice, I'll need to find some of these. Do you remember the size of the package?
The ties are thinner than the plastic, the package easily have 50, maybe even 100. Price was good. I did not buy it because I know I don't need that many. I have trouble using up the plastic ones I purchased 20 years ago!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #244
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
A bent nail (found on the road) will act as a substitute link pin for the throttle linkage (at the carb) on a 1966 chevelle. Of course this was at 3am on highway 505 past Vacaville in 1992..
live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #245
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,649
McGyver

Buddy is driving a 67 pattern 1/4 ton SMP Jeep across a field as we are yakking. (M38A2 for our US neighbors). We hit an unseen ditch and the Jeep flies in the air. No seat belts since there is no roll bar and you actually want to be thrown clear. Suddenly I'm looking down at my seat from 3 feet in the air. Buddy lands on my lap with the shifter knob in his hand. Motor sputters and dies. No juice. No radio. Middle of nowhere. We open the hatch at the base of the windshield and see that the batteries (2x12 volt) have broken loose and the terminal clamp is snapped off on one side. We rip the cable from under the dash. Run it around the outside of the windshield and touch it to the terminal. Presto, power. Now how to hold it...buddy clamps the battery compartment lid down while I hold it in position. Gets us back to base. Oh yeah, it is the troop Warrant Officers Jeep, we mention the loose connection and carry on.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #246
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The ties are thinner than the plastic, the package easily have 50, maybe even 100. Price was good. I did not buy it because I know I don't need that many. I have trouble using up the plastic ones I purchased 20 years ago!
Sorry, senior moment ..... the stainless steel zip ties at Harbor Freight comes in a package of 25 pieces, approx 8-10 inches long, 1/8 inch wide. Priced around $5.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #247
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,391
Quote:
Sorry, senior moment ..... the stainless steel zip ties at Harbor Freight comes in a package of 25 pieces, approx 8-10 inches long, 1/8 inch wide. Priced around $5.
Thank you. Will pick some up the next time I swing by HF.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #248
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Sheep Skin Seat Pad

Ooooh-Oooooh-Ohhhhh ... I got one ...... nearly forgot .......

Coming out of work, miscalculated how cold it will get. Freezing my ass off. Pulled over to do the warm up dance and hug my hot engine to loosen up my fingers. Before I remount, I remove the sheep skin seat pad and stuffed it in my chest. Warm and fuzzy all the way home. I guess it is true, more reserve warm blood for the extremities.

Come to think of it, an Air Hawk seat bladder should work as well!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #249
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Come to think of it, an Air Hawk seat bladder should work as well!
Bubble wrap works well, but not well enough to keep my from buying an electric vest. Had I wrecked, it would have sounded like the 4th of July.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #250
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB
Bubble wrap works well, but not well enough to keep my from buying an electric vest. Had I wrecked, it would have sounded like the 4th of July.
Keep using the bubble wrap, you won't need an air bag vest. The exploding bubble will warn cages so they won't run you over if you crash.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #251
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Keep using the bubble wrap, you won't need an air bag vest. The exploding bubble will warn cages so they won't run you over if you crash.
With my luck they'd hear it, slam on brakes and smear me on the road.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #252
Sucks2drive
Banned

Oddometer: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB
With my luck they'd hear it, slam on brakes and smear me on the road.
or repeatedly drive backwards n forwards over ya to hear them "cool" poppy noises!
Sucks2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #253
Pesky_Dingo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
On my way to daytona beach for bike week and the voltage regulator fried on my T595 leaving me in the middle of groveland (nowhere). Went to the nearest Autoparts store with only 60 bucks in my pocket got a used car battery, a roll of ductape and some electrical connectors. Duct taped the battery to my rear seat and rigged it into the electrical system using some solid strand wire my friend had leftover from work. Used this set up to get around daytona and to go home 200mi. Only having to recharge 2 times the entire weekend.
Pesky_Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #254
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,193
R60/2 tranny output flange remover

danedg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #255
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky_Dingo
On my way to daytona beach for bike week and the voltage regulator fried on my T595 leaving me in the middle of groveland (nowhere). Went to the nearest Autoparts store with only 60 bucks in my pocket got a used car battery, a roll of ductape and some electrical connectors. Duct taped the battery to my rear seat and rigged it into the electrical system using some solid strand wire my friend had leftover from work. Used this set up to get around daytona and to go home 200mi. Only having to recharge 2 times the entire weekend.
Thread: Cross country On A $50 Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366117

Bunch of Russian (they recently got their US citizenship) college kids from Cornell University did an amazing trip across the country ...... on 70's 80's era bikes ....

One of the bike charging system crapped out. They keep swapping batteries between good bikes and failed bike so they can keep rolling.

xroad screwed with this post 11-19-2009 at 07:29 AM
xroad is offline   Reply With Quote