Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #256
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Ooooh-Oooooh-Ohhhhh ... I got another one .............

Once the tire bead got unseated, no amount of pumping will get the bead to seat back onto the rim, not with a small pump anyways. Saw on youtube ....

1/ spray WD-40 around the rim, only half way around is suffice, ...
2/ lighter lit and ready, spray the WD-40 to generate a flame thrower to ignite the WD-40 in the tire/rim.
3/ The burning WD-40 at the rim/tire expands the surrounding air, seating the bead to the rim with a quick pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSDPHjo1zRU
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #257
Sucks2drive
Banned

Oddometer: 3,479
When you fit soft bags and don't want to mess with a standoff rack ( expensive!!) take some wire and wire one of these to your muffler.

This rubber-like non-stick baking/freezer mat is a pan liner made of food grade woven silicone. It's thermal shock resistant from -40 degrees to 600 degrees and is reusable up to 3000 times.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=11267599

no burnt bags, bag can rest on muffler, as can a leg or arm and not get burnt.
Sucks2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #258
Kav
Not a Ninja

Oddometer: 537
I've got a few. I learned to ride in the desert and when i'm broke down in the middle of B.F.E. I tend to get really creative really really fast. I always have some tools on me, but i never have had *everything* i need on hand to do a proper repair.

Story #1

I had just put an over sized tank on my '01 YZ250 and had gone for a ride. After a bit I get the distect smell of gas. I look down and see that gas is just poring out of the petcock where it meets the tank. I pull the tank on the spot and set it on it's sit to stop the flow of gas. I then scour the desert looking for somthing, anything to work as a gasket. much to my surprise I find a small flat hunk of rubber sticking out of the sand. I grab it, punch a few holes in it and install it between the tank and the petcock. It worked fantastic and it's still there seven years later.

Story #2

I'm riding with my '93 DR350S out in the middle nowhere and I eat it snapping my clutch lever off right past the perch. Of course I do not have a spare (who carries those with them right?) with me. I don't have much, but I have one thing on me to use. and what might that be? Why it's a roll of electrical tape! of all of the helpful in things I could have brought with my I have electrical tape. Awesome, how what to do with it? I scour the desert (again) and I find me an old marker. Now I can work with this. I pull the back of it off and pull out the felt stuff in it. I then cram it on what remains of the lever and tape it for all it's worth. It worked, kinda-sorta. But it got me about 100 miles back to my house.

Story #3 [ As narrated by my good friend Zack ]

Well, you see what had happened was,

Kav [ that's me! ], Jeremy and I were out on the loop around Buttercup sand dunes. We were cranking along pretty well (read the bike got away from me a few time and it was all I could do to stay on) when we had a bit of trauma. This loop is about 20 miles long, and a good time is an hour. Every time we get to the farthest point I worry a little bit since the only civilization out there is on the Mexican side of the border (so are we) and I have herd a few stories about people being jumped. Well, anyway things have always been good so far, but we had to have at least one bad experience.

First, I the one who knew the trail (read: I was showing this trail to some newbies to the trail and didn't want to look stupid) took a wrong turn somewhere and we ended up in some rock quarry (in the middle of the dunes?). Well, thats not all bad I can still get out of the dunes no matter where I turn around to find my self. Really it gets bad when we get to some really rugged terrain and Kav decides to bury his bike to the top of the rear wheel. As I stopped to help him out Jeremy decides he doesn't want to come back down from the top of the hill where he is playing [ he was also very low on gas we later found out ]. After we got Kav unstuck he decided to do the same thing to a lesser degree only this time he grabbed the largest rock that would fit in the chain guide and jammed it in between the chain and the sprocket.

It was obvious that the rock was not coming out the way it went in so I, master of makeshift tools, removed his chain with a lighter and a rock . Kav managed to force the rock out with a stick that had obviously gotten lost. Then, after some fighting and swearing we got the chain back on.

We never did catch back up with Jeremy. He left for camp while all the real work was going on since he was running low on gas but, in the end every one made it back safely and I learned a really good lesson.

Never bring tools with you. Every time you bring a tool with you nothing breaks and life is boring. Besides, whatever breaks I can fix with rocks and cancer aids.
Kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #259
malibug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Mcgyver

McGyver is a Rider too, he rides a BMW mc in SoCal. He might be a member of this forum. hello there Richard Anderson, pls acknowledge.

mcgyver got stung by an insect while riding in Vancouver Canada:

"I was away. My best friend and I miraculously had non-conflicting schedules and took immediate advantage of the anomaly. The following morning we met, trusty steeds 'twixt our knees, rumbling their respective 1200 cc's of vibrating metal for all to.... er.... complain about or envy.

We jumped up the coast for a few days, exploring inland roads just recently or not yet on the maps we referenced occasionally. We actually found our way in TO and out OF a mountainous expanse that dumped us at a lonely, yet manned military gate. I mean, the guy was armed and would not have let us pass without license, insurance, and registration. Meaning, of course, that we would have had to absolutely turn around and reverse our tracks through the mountains we had just survived in the heat of the DAY. We would have faced fading light and darkness all the way out to the coast

But we made it through... and then at 87 mph I got stung (or bitten) by something, just off center of my spine, about eight inches south of the nape of my neck. Quite a shock and just a tad distracting. Got the bike stopped and was able to strip off my top-side armor just in time for my friend to drive up, come to a stop, and SQUASH some kind of nasty, little, hairy-winged pest, that I am SURE was deathly poisonous and I should have passed into heaven right then and thar! But, I pulled through, only to live on for the next adventure.

Ooops, I just got sleepy and I still must assist Wylie with some homework.

Lovely night,

Rikc"

malibug screwed with this post 11-28-2009 at 01:27 PM
malibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #260
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,398
Airhead rear bevel input sleeve removal tool.

Posted this in another thread, but it seems kinda McGyverish.

Here are some pics of my homemade tool to remove the input bearing collar on my airhead rear end.

I made it out of a threaded water pipe connector, 1.5inch nominal size, I think.
Put some bearing blue on the threaded input bearing collar so it made a mark on the pipe fitting. I then scribed those lines and cut away the metal between the four tags. Using more bearing blue for a final fit.

Then I cut two slots in the other end to fit my large square shank screwdriver, to turn the tool with.

Bolted the rear end to the bench. Heated it spitt sizzlin hot with my heat gun and propane torch, and unscrewed that input bearing collar. Bit of pipe over the end of the screwdriver provided torque to overcome the Loctite. But it actually popped out reall easy. Two hours to make the tool. Two minutes to do the job.

Crude yes, but the working parts were a nice fit for a nice drive.

And here is how I locked the rear end to get the input drive nut off before all this:

Placed the bevel unit on the wheel, splines engaged, and used a ratchet tie down strap wrapped around the input boss and the tire and spokes to stop the bevel unit from turning as I torqed the input nut til it came loose. Applied torch also to overcome Loctite.

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #261
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
TIE-DOWN STRAP as clutch basket/rotor/etc holder tool
Use tie-down strap wrapped tightly around the thingy multiple times and attach hook to frame. As you torque the offending nut it will cinch up and hold. If it slips, try to clamp it with whatever is handy.

FINGER NAIL SCISSORS as circlip pliers
Fingernail scissors with notches filed in the ends to rest securely in the plier holes on the circlip.

IS THERE A THING IN MY CRANKCASE? without cracking the cases
Large rare earth magnet slid across the bottom will make loose pieces dance. Go hunt them out with a small rare earth magnet jb welded to the end of a wire.

MotoMind screwed with this post 12-06-2009 at 12:02 PM
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #262
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,369
Soda Blaster For Carb Cleaning & Rebuilding

Can't take credit for this one but it is good:
AndyJB

Soda Blaster For Carb Cleaning & Rebuilding < click that.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #263
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 829
I always liked everything you could do with the moose quick steel, a must for all packs...
Old 01-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #264
TunaBelly
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Bearing cup? I don't need to stinking bearing cup...

OK, so I'm in the final stretch of a 4500 mile ride from Chicago to Glacier NP via the Black Hills, Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone and the Tetons on a '75 BMW R75. We're in Colorado Springs, and I decide that I should adjust the valves before heading off across the plains.

The sad expression on my face is due to the fact that when I removed my valve cover, I found a collection of needle bearings just hanging out loose. Not cool.

The needle bearings...

The bottom edge of the bearing cup had disintegrated somewhere between Browning, MT and Colorado Springs.

"How Lucky", I thought, "I'm only a couple minutes from famed airhead mechanic Matt Parkhouse of the "keep 'Em Flying" column in the BMWMOA magazine. He's sure to have a solution for me". However, when I looked up his number, I got a message that Matt was off at the BMW rally, and wouldn't be back for a week.

Now I'm screwed... It's a Sunday, I want to get going, and I'm pretty sure that if I was to get a parts guy on the line, he'd tell me that I'd have to wait days to get one shipped in.

So... the MacGyver solution:

Head to AutoZone and place opposing circlips on the rocker arm, then grind off the tabs. Opposing so that the bearings couldn't slip out, and also allows the oil to circulate. Worked like a charm, and my local BMW tech said there was no residual damage when he inspected the monstrosity. we kept the original rocker arm and simply replaced the bearing cup.

Here's the post-trip autopsy. After 1078 miles back to Chicago, I thought I'd find many more small metal pieces in the covers...

You've gotta love the old air cooled bikes. There's so much tolerance for this kind of nonsense....

TunaBelly
TunaBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #265
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBelly

So... the MacGyver solution:

Head to AutoZone and place opposing circlips on the rocker arm, then grind off the tabs. Opposing so that the bearings couldn't slip out, and also allows the oil to circulate.
Brilliant!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #266
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
Not my favorite, but it's memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
Then, I set to a carb balance. It was tricky. Something just wasn't right with the right carb, so I took it partially apart. I knew something was wrong, based on my memory, and confirmed by this motobins pic:

Float needle probably isn't supposed to look like this:

So, I set to work. What else are you going to do, and where will you find parts on a Sunday night? So, I determined that the opening was .155". I found a BB (generally .177"), the closest .155" bit I could find and a plate. Drilled a hole in the plate and pressed the BB through.

and

Put it together, and used a rivet tool to close it back off.

Installed it;

..adjusted the float level (after replacing the diaphragm for no reason ), and I've got a balanced and smooth bike!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #267
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
Very inventive!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 01-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #268
LarryB
Baja GPS Maps, LBMaps.com

Oddometer: 73
I flew into Cabo to meet a riding buddy for a quick 4 day loop up the west coast, across to LaPaz and back down to Los Barriles. He had just arrived in San Jose after picking up a second XR650L in San Diego at a great price. He road it around the block, loaded it into his truck along with his XR and headed down the peninsula to meet me. I had left my XR up north after a northbound ride a month earlier. "Don't worry" he said, "You can ride this bike I just bought. It runs a bit crappy but I think it just needs jetting".

I packed a bag of gear, grabbed my GPS and laptop. As an afterthought I grabbed my bag of carb jets., and headed to the airport.

He picked me up at the LosCabos airport and we headed to the house in Los Barriles. When we arrived and unloaded the bikes I discovered this new XR would barely run when given anything above half throttle. I pulled the carb to check the jetting and found someone had installed some kind of stepped slide needle. It jumped to full fuel at half throttle and blubberd so bad it was unridable. Now my friend tells me he got this bike at such a good price because the guy could never get it to run right. "Crap", where can we find a XR650L stock slide needle at 9:00pm in Los Barilles? I Started looking around and spotted my buddies ice pick hanging on the wall. Mmmmm..... We removed the stock needle from his XR and used it to measure where to cut the ice pick. We then chucked it up in a hand drill, used a file and sand paper to cut it down to the same dimensions as the stock needle. We used a small cresent wrench as a guage to compare the two needles until we got the same taper. We then used a file to put in the clip groove. While installing the clip it went "Boing!" and was gone. "Crap". We used a small piece of safety wire as a clip.

The ride was saved. It still didn't run perfect as we only had one groove and couldn't drop the needle a notch as needed. But it was good enough. :)

LarryB screwed with this post 01-04-2010 at 07:18 PM Reason: add photos
LarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #269
Poolside
Syndicated

Nice one! Good thing you didn't ruin the bottle opener!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #270
hdpusher
Lunch box repairman

Oddometer: 19
One day I blew the front pipe off my HD ridged. I took a SOS pad rolled it into a ring and used it for an exhaust port gasket. Then with the help of a few borrowed nuts from the same girl who gave me the SOS pad I was on my way. Come to think of it I still owe her a beer.
hdpusher is offline   Reply With Quote