Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #16
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
Many thousands of years ago, a buddy and I were out riding our dinosaurs, lovingly oiling some deserted back roads when his generator stops generating. Soon after, his bike starts running poorly, and we've still got a long way to go to get home, and it's getting dark-thirty.

We scrounge some 16 gauge wire off the side of the road, and wire the two bikes together, so that his bike is getting juice from mine. Now we didn't have that much wire, maybe 6 feet, so we had to ride about 2 feet apart. Side by side, all the way home. There were a couple spastic moments getting going from stop signs and such, but we got a pretty good rythym going after a while.

At any rate, we got home.

Az
Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #17
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB
Many thousands of years ago, a buddy and I were out riding our dinosaurs, lovingly oiling some deserted back roads when his generator stops generating. Soon after, his bike starts running poorly, and we've still got a long way to go to get home, and it's getting dark-thirty.

We scrounge some 16 gauge wire off the side of the road, and wire the two bikes together, so that his bike is getting juice from mine. Now we didn't have that much wire, maybe 6 feet, so we had to ride about 2 feet apart. Side by side, all the way home. There were a couple spastic moments getting going from stop signs and such, but we got a pretty good rythym going after a while.

At any rate, we got home.

Az
whoa, reminds me of another wacky idea. Riders bike was a no go on the FDR, another rider stopped to help. says no problem I'll push you to the next exit. He said he was an MSF instructor and had done this a few times before....with his right foot on the down bikers left passenger footpeg he slowly picked up speed and pushed the other bike with his, using HIS FOOT. sounded wacky to me too, I wasn't there to witness the craz..err wackyness myself.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #18
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Aspirin works pretty well to revive a battery. Crush it and put it in the cells. About 1 per, IIRC. Learned that from my Dad on the farm.

They used to make an additive that prevented batteries from sulfating, but I can't find it anymore. Farm supply store, maybe.

Coke will eat the crud right off a battery terminal. So will baking soda and water. DO NOT get that in the battery. Rinse well. Also good for cleaning the frame around the battery. Neutralizes any battery residue.

Now for the McGuyver tip: Carry several pieces of steel coat hanger. The old, heavy duty kind. You'll know when you need it.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #19
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
whoa, reminds me of another wacky idea. Riders bike was a no go on the FDR, another rider stopped to help. says no problem I'll push you to the next exit. He said he was an MSF instructor and had done this a few times before....with his right foot on the down bikers left passenger footpeg he slowly picked up speed and pushed the other bike with his, using HIS FOOT. sounded wacky to me too, I wasn't there to witness the craz..err wackyness myself.
I've seen this done in person, one of the yokle riders cracked his case so we had an epic gravity race all the way down the foothills, when the road flattened out he was pushed with a foot :)

On the battery stuff, if there was an additive to prevent sulphation it would be in the batteries already. The only desulphation chemical i know if is a food additive, the name of which escapes me, but its designed to eat and capture metal. Lead sulphate being a metal, it eats it off the surface of the plate, hopefully uncovering fresh material.

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #20
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
>"Lead sulphate being a metal,---"<

Correction-it used to be a metal.
Benesesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #21
WoovsHoovs
RUN SILENT

Oddometer: 3,830
On an outboard powered boat off of Tarpon Springs, FL.-the motor suddenly quits running.

Remove cowling, bouncing along in 3-4 foot waves-I verify spark and fuel-but no start!

I look further and with an adjustable wrench I remove the flywheel nut and find it had sheared its key. I line up the notches and with a knife and said wrench I manage to cut some pieces off of my office mailbox key-just enough to hammer down into the slot-it got us home.
WoovsHoovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #22
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso
>"Lead sulphate being a metal,---"<

Correction-it used to be a metal.
Lead is still a metal, it's just bonded with sulpher and oxygen

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #23
TDM Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Chapstick to the rescue

My best McGuiver moment was returning from a business trip with a colleague and trying to start his Acura to no avail. Plenty of cranking but no firing. A quick look under the hood revealed sparks jumping on the distributor cap (remember those.) Closer inspection with the flashlight in my bag (this guy had absolutely nothing even remotely resembling a tool in his car) revealed a hairline crack.

So I start thinking, what have I got and WWMcGD? I took some chapstick, smeared it liberally in and around the crack. Quick turn of the key and we were off! Lasted long enough to drive 20 miles or so to the dealer where he got it replaced.

Chapstick- never leave home without it!
TDM Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:59 AM   #24
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Can this thread be stickied? It's starting to look like generic tips and tricks.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #25
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,230
Quote:
Now for the McGuyver tip: Carry several pieces of steel coat hanger. The old, heavy duty kind. You'll know when you need it.
Pulled apart my carbs one time and couldn't find the pin that holds in the floats. A short piece of coat hanger is an exact fit for the float pin in most carbs

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #26
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

speaking of hangers, if you cut a q-tip in half its hollow and a metal hanger fits inside perfectly. Perfect to use to clean an out of reach place. the qtip stays on with enough friction that you can move it back and forth. I've used this "device" to clean the straws of camelback systems. and in between the fins of cylinder heads.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #27
WoovsHoovs
RUN SILENT

Oddometer: 3,830
Bump....

Late 80's I was on a '83 Cagiva 125 mx bike during a large group amateur enduro type ride= I was doing ok but fouled a plug down in a mile long, low land swamp. Eventually everyone passed me offering advice etc. I said "go ahead"... FYYFF!!!!!!!!!!

Finally after about a half hour of kicking with zero results, I had the idea..."remove the carburetor altogether, then kick it"-so off it came-off to the side. Two hoseclamps...

On about the sixth, or seventh kick the motor caught, slowly at first, then an OMG, hideous shreik up to about 29 thousand RPM for about 20 seconds-an eternity at the time. Somehow the Italian motor held together I reinstalled the carb and rode on out of the woods and caught up to the crew eventually.

That motor never ran better!

WoovsHoovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #28
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,907
CO2 cartridges fit in a KTM radiator hose to block them off with the stock hose clamps........DAMHIK.
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #29
4bikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by isa671
Problem: Had a co-worker's Speed Triple leak coolant all over the place while on a ride. Turned out it was a hairline crack in the radiator.

MacGyverism: Threw in half a teaspoon of black pepper (restaurant packet) in the radiator.

Outcome: Black pepper worked its way to find the small leak and eventually expanded and filled the leak.

Conclusion: Flushed out the cooling system and replaced the radiator.

Disclaimer: Don't drink the pepper flavored coolant.
Cinnamon is even better, and it works for your stomack too, it it takes a blowout...

Jens
4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #30
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain eagle
CO2 cartridges fit in a KTM radiator hose to block them off with the stock hose clamps........DAMHIK.
....why?