Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #286
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
A long way from home, hot day, wife and kids in the car* and a public holiday. Everything was shut. Car quit running, turned out the diaphragm of the fuel pump had split. Scrounged around in the rubbish bins behind a garage, found an old inner tube and made a new diapragm. Lasted a minute or two, until the inner tube material swelled up and stopped the pump working again.
Then I drained the windscreen washer bottle and shook out all the remaining water. Cut the washer hose and connected it to the carb inlet. Filled the bottle with gas, pull the washer switch lever for few seconds and started up. Every time the motor started to die I'd pull the washer lever again. Had to refill hte washer bottle from a jerry can about 1o times to get home. Repaired the fuel pump the next day, converted the wash bottle and pumps back to scren washing. The screen washer pump kept working for as long as I had the car, about another five years .

*aussie built late 70s Ford Falcon wagon
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #287
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Kiwi#99
Then I drained the windscreen washer bottle and shook out all the remaining water. Cut the washer hose and connected it to the carb inlet. Filled the bottle with gas, pull the washer switch lever for few seconds and started up.
Reminded me of a de-carbon trick I did on my '69 Ford V-8. Bought it used, it had been driven only locally, and was quite carboned-up. The engine was designed for regular octane, but even on premium it would ping badly. I confirmed the timing and thermostatic air cleaner operation was ok. Didn't want to tear down the engine for a manual decoke. Drilled a hole in the top of the air cleaner right above the venturi, then re-routed the windshield washer tubing from the jets to the air cleaner. Filled the washer with the normal alcohol/water mix, went on the road. At full throttle I would engage the washer, making a poor-man's "water injection" system. The steam produced in the combustion chambers blew away most of the carbon (You could see it come out of the tailpipe). After 2 fills of the washer the problem was gone.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #288
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,339
Fixing a seriously dinged rim, that was cactus anyway, so that I could ride on the second of a two-day trail ride. Back at the holiday home despite several neighbours being riders attending the same event, no-one had a decent-sized pounder.

The "mallet" was applied directly to the rim to fix the 6 or so smaller dents, and finish the big dent after the dunnage was used to help knock it roughly back in to line. Then I removed the burrs caused by the "mallet" with the course then fine file tool on a Leatherman.

Curse KTM and their crappy soft/wide Behr rims!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #289
scrambler73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I was replacing some rubber bushings on an old Mazda and could not find the correct "tool" to compress them. A lightbulb went off in my head and the next day on my way home from work, I stopped and bought some dry-ice. Took 3 radiator hose clamps, squarshed the bushings down, stuck them in dry-ice for a few hours. Pulled the clamps and the rubber was hard as a rock. Slipped right into the holes and as they thawed out.....Voila!

The other one Im not so proud of.... A friend and I went in together and bought a basket-case '67 Camaro. We were 15 or 16 years old and figured we would have her up and running by senior year. The front clip wasn't on the car and we wanted to get her set up so we see what it looked like. Well, the body to frame bushings were shot, so we used what seemed the most logical choice..

Bumper Pool Bumpers

thats about as far as we ever got on the body...lol

I brought the heads in to auto shop (camelbacks) and the class rebuilt them.. Well, senior year rolled around, I graduated and LEFT THE HEADS in my infinite wisdom.

My friends parents were sick of this car and told him to get it out of their garage, so we sold it for $500.00

Looking back, I realized how STOOOPID one can be as a teenager. It was a rust-free, 327 powerglide (NO POWER ANYTHING) that is worth a fair chunk of change today.....

ahhhhh youth.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #290
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,735

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler73
Took 3 radiator hose clamps, squarshed the bushings down, stuck them in dry-ice for a few hours. Pulled the clamps and the rubber was hard as a rock. Slipped right into the holes and as they thawed out.....Voila!
Nice! That one's going in the file.

p.s.: Excellent use of the word squarshed.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #291
Tigrou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
After a crash on a Yamaha R1 on road.
oil was leaking from the right hand side of the motor.
No more oil on!
I chew some chewing gums and mixed it with handkerchiefs (that's all what I have on the pockets) to seal the motor.
put some oil on the motor and get back home.
GS'13 - 7.000 miles …for the moment
Tigrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #292
Jon-Lars
Jon-Lars

Oddometer: 538
Burglar alarm

Burglar alarm system:

Motion-detector lights +

strategically placed, realistic -fake- rattlesnakes.

Lights come on, prowler sees that he is standing on top of a rattlesnake.

Screams and running sounds = priceless.

Cheers,
Jon-Lars
Beverly, WA
Jon-Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #293
The Gringo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Worked well

This has happened to me twice now, I buy an old bike, leave it sit for a while and a spider has the nerve to crawl into the speedo, build a nest and then die! Not wanting to replace an original working speedo I needed a solution. I waited for a sunny day, rolled the bike into the sun and with a magnifying glass proceded to cremate his little arachnid corpse. Problem solved.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #294
Sucks2drive
Banned

Oddometer: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gringo
This has happened to me twice now, I buy an old bike, leave it sit for a while and a spider has the nerve to crawl into the speedo, build a nest and then die! Not wanting to replace an original working speedo I needed a solution. I waited for a sunny day, rolled the bike into the sun and with a magnifying glass proceded to cremate his little arachnid corpse. Problem solved.
you ingenious lil' bastige!
Sucks2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #295
DirtKnob
Dirt Knob

Oddometer: 153
Cool2 Broken Turn Signals

I Ride a '95 R1100GS and I've been down a few times, and really don't have the money to buy new parts every time I topple over so here's my fix that's been working for years. Offroad repair.
P.S. Notice the White thing with the wires through it? Straight sided BiC pen cut to be an internal Splint.
Attached Images

DirtKnob screwed with this post 03-14-2010 at 09:09 PM
DirtKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #296
xj9140
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKen
Please post in ... Your Favorite Macgyver moments/tricks Sticky!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559010
from this:

to this:
xj9140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #297
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,735

  

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #298
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-Lars
Burglar alarm system:

Motion-detector lights +

strategically placed, realistic -fake- rattlesnakes.

Lights come on, prowler sees that he is standing on top of a rattlesnake.

Screams and running sounds = priceless.

Cheers,
Jon-Lars
Beverly, WA
Should add some rattle snake sound before the light comes on.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #299
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshuck
2 days later, he crashes again. This time the bike is on its side for an extended period of time and there is a pool of oil under the bike. We get it upright and add oil to the proper level. The battery will not crank the bike...I guess that the engine is hydrostatically locked. We put it on the center stand and put it in 4th gear. We rock the engine backward and forward gently until it will go thru a complete revolution. The battery now moves the engine and we kill ever mosquito within about 5 miles. I don't have to pay for a beer for the remainder of the trip.

I got two free lawnmowers because of Hydraulic lock. Dumb bastard stored them in his shed hanging spark plug down all winter. Could not figure out why he could not pull the rope and put them out for the trash man to pick up. I throwed them in the back of my truck for the wheels for another project. Got them running sold them and bought wheels.

Jailor8
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #300
wsdbikes
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
Riding home from on a nice day on an old CB900C with Windjammer and topbox years ago. I had to go 60 ish miles each way to an appt and hadnt had the bike long.

ran out of gas 25 miles from home on a county road quite aways from town. Had an early bag phone with Cig lighter plug in. Windjammer had a cig lighter plug. cool can call wifey.
Not so fast. not enough juice from the plug. Crap, its hot out here. I hear banjos

found a a piece of metal on side of the road. no idea what is was. popped the side cover of and held the nose of the bag phone plug to the hot terminal of the battery and the piece of metal to the neg terminal and the neg on the plug. With other hand dialed phone.

Wife showed up with gas and, bless her heart, A Big Gulp.

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote