Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #301
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,097
Broken throttle cable, nipple snapped off on carb slide end, on a 125 dirt bike. Unscrew the top of the carb, remove slide, take fuel pipe off the carb and using fuel tap get a constant dripping of fuel directly into carb.
Ride home full throttle.
charlie264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #302
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
Carbon Knock

We have done the same thing by dribbling a few drops of water at a time into A high idling V-8's carburator, takes care of that nasty carbon knock.

Jailor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill
Reminded me of a de-carbon trick I did on my '69 Ford V-8. Bought it used, it had been driven only locally, and was quite carboned-up. The engine was designed for regular octane, but even on premium it would ping badly. I confirmed the timing and thermostatic air cleaner operation was ok. Didn't want to tear down the engine for a manual decoke. Drilled a hole in the top of the air cleaner right above the venturi, then re-routed the windshield washer tubing from the jets to the air cleaner. Filled the washer with the normal alcohol/water mix, went on the road. At full throttle I would engage the washer, making a poor-man's "water injection" system. The steam produced in the combustion chambers blew away most of the carbon (You could see it come out of the tailpipe). After 2 fills of the washer the problem was gone.
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM   #303
darksatanicmill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Going on a longer trip I had to carry more than usualy on my 200EXC.
Side panniers were out of the question, te track was hard enduro with lots of stone and wood sections.

Took an old fender, drilled some holes on each side and with a paracord tied the sleeping bag and the spare clothing (in a bag) to the fender. So no need to sell the 200 exc in two days and buy a GS.

It held the luggage for the whole three days.

Down side - no more headlight....

... no problem because I use extra light on my helmet (with battery in the backpack)
Old 04-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #304
Mechanista
manic depressive

Oddometer: 440
Flat tires...

Several in one day, and still MANY miles from civilization. Large holes from greasewood were too big to patch. So I peeled one side off the tires and stuffed them with dried grass. That got me to a road where I could be picked up in a truck, anyway.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #305
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Some buddys and I were on a 3 day weekend ride over north cascade highway , as we were almost to Concrete , I lost "drive" . I coasted to the shoulder , it was like my clutch went away . Put her on the centerstand and pulled the side cover off . Damn , no sprocket nut ! We walked the shoulder and took a quick look for it , no luck . I jumped on my buddy's bike and drove into town , hoping to find a metric nut , yeah right . Gas station was closing in a few minutes , dug through his junk piles , no luck . As we were leaving , had a brain fart , bought 4 tiny fuel line hose clamps . Went back to bike and pushed the sprocket back on the splines , put 2 clamps together , pushed them up tight against the sprocket and tightened them down . Finished the rest of our 3 day , 600 mile ride . Actually rode to work until my dealer got the new nut in , about 2 weeks .
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #306
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Obsolete gaskets, like float bowl gaskets, if you careful applying it in a thin bead and let it setup over night to 24 hours. Shoe Goop can be used to replace the wasted/missing gasket.
Do not put it together till its setup OR you will play hell getting back apart.
I just finished reading this thread and love it. I am interested in the Shoe Goo since I think it doesn't break down with exposure to fuel. This may be unnecessary on this forum, but don't try silicone or rtv sealant on carb rebuilds. I have helped many riding friends diagnose an intermittent carburation problem only to find blue rtv sealant floating around in the bowl and occasionally breaking down just enough to get stuck in a jet.
My friend Pilo's adventure book
nxdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #307
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

This is a similar look to many of the dual sport bikes owned by myself and other college riding friends 20 years ago. We often broke plastic parts on our many off-road trips. We had to save our money for tuition. So, we would use a screwdriver in the campfire to carefully melt several "flat" holes along the crack in the plastic and then stich it up with zip-tys. this worked very similar to the photo here and was a fireside fix requiring just an old screwdriver. Many of those repairs survived the 4 (or 6) years of college riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat
...A variation is to mend two sections of cracked flat plastic material. There is a similar photo in a thread here on wirewrapping skills.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #308
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

I had a 1983 Suzuki PE175 that I bought for $50 and brought back from the dead or was this the 1984 KDX200 we revived. Oh well, one of the first rides, we unloaded it from the truck and took off up into the mountains. Less than an hour later we stopped for a moment and when everyone I was riding with took off, the old PE (or KDX) didn't move. I lost "drive" as you did here. It didn't take much to realize I had forgotten to tighten the sprocket nut and it was now lost somewhere between here and the truck (or maybe I hadn't even put it on after working on it). We were about 3 miles from the truck and it was rough and rocky off-road trail. I always carry zip-tys. So we put the sprocket back on the shaft and I pulled two zip-tys tight into the grove of the shaft and was able to carefully ride out. I have been thankful for zip-tys many times, but especially happy that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z
Some buddys and I were on a 3 day weekend ride over north cascade highway , as we were almost to Concrete , I lost "drive" . I coasted to the shoulder , it was like my clutch went away . Put her on the centerstand and pulled the side cover off . Damn , no sprocket nut ! We walked the shoulder and took a quick look for it , no luck . I jumped on my buddy's bike and drove into town , hoping to find a metric nut , yeah right . Gas station was closing in a few minutes , dug through his junk piles , no luck . As we were leaving , had a brain fart , bought 4 tiny fuel line hose clamps . Went back to bike and pushed the sprocket back on the splines , put 2 clamps together , pushed them up tight against the sprocket and tightened them down . Finished the rest of our 3 day , 600 mile ride . Actually rode to work until my dealer got the new nut in , about 2 weeks .
Old 04-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #309
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

Spring Tool

This is one I will probably use. Nice SVMango

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMango
Removing the pesky kick stand spring.

Put kick stand in down position.

Stuff as many coins as you can between the coils of the spring.

Retract kick stand.

The spring will often fall off in your hand.

Reverse procedure for re-assembly.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #310
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

This is another one I'll be using on my CL450 carbs later this month hopefully. This thread is great. Thanks AndyJB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02
Can't take credit for this one but it is good:
AndyJB

Soda Blaster For Carb Cleaning & Rebuilding < click that.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #311
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
I had a 1983 Suzuki PE175 that I bought for $50 and brought back from the dead or was this the 1984 KDX200 we revived. Oh well, one of the first rides, we unloaded it from the truck and took off up into the mountains. Less than an hour later we stopped for a moment and when everyone I was riding with took off, the old PE (or KDX) didn't move. I lost "drive" as you did here. It didn't take much to realize I had forgotten to tighten the sprocket nut and it was now lost somewhere between here and the truck (or maybe I hadn't even put it on after working on it). We were about 3 miles from the truck and it was rough and rocky off-road trail. I always carry zip-tys. So we put the sprocket back on the shaft and I pulled two zip-tys tight into the grove of the shaft and was able to carefully ride out. I have been thankful for zip-tys many times, but especially happy that day.
I must say , dirtbiking can bring out many more chances to figure out field repairs . My buddys always said I would get an evil smile when their bikes died and I would figure out how to get them running long enough to get out of the woods . On my street bike , it was a case of re using and old bend up washer , one too many times , and forgetting to pick up a new one .
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #312
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,927
A recent Macguyver moment - adapting my engine stand to hold my CB1000C engine -

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #313
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo
A recent Macguyver moment - adapting my engine stand to hold my CB1000C engine -

Well done!

...but McGyver would have done it with some peanuts and a pair of chopsticks
Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #314
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,522
450 miles from home, broken clutch cable on my K75, no bike shop open, and had to be at class the next day...

Took a cable from a non-running R60 that my friend had in his yard, and rigged it down the left side of the bike with zip ties and a homemade shim for the cable guide.

Couldn't really turn right, because the cable was like 6 or 8 inches shorter than the required one.

It got me home just fine, as long as I did looping left turns at gas stops.

Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #315
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
I always like this one. Never had a need for it, but someday....who knows?

1. Get a blade of grass, or a short straight twig, or a match to use as a pointer.
  2. Hold your watch horizontally, with the hour hand pointing in the sun's direction.
  3. Lay the blade of grass or match across the middle of your watch, halfway between the hour hand and the 12. The grass blade or match will then be pointing south.
IF you google "using watch as compass" there are many more specific instructions on the web.

svejkovat screwed with this post 04-17-2010 at 08:17 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote