Originally Posted by RandyB
jumper/charger
been there, done that.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #332
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Well let's see...There were two that come to mind immediately, though for different reasons...

The first was when I was about 14-15 years old and my friend Todd's KX80 Oil Filler Cap popped off somewhere on the trail we were riding. No one noticed it was missing until he screamed and hopped off the bike (as it was still going down the trail at about 25mph) grabbing his leg/foot claiming he was burning. I guess the hot oil from the gear box splattered out onto his leg and foot

While we were sitting around waiting for him to stop crying (and making jokes at his expense for not wearing JT boots like us) I looked at his bike to see how much oil he lost.

I couldn't see any oil in his sight glass unless we tipped the bike over to the right pretty far so we realized he would likely ruin his bike before we made it back the 25 miles or so to the house.

I grabbed some different limbs off of trees while we were waiting for the bikes to cool and I started measuring them to see which ones were close to the diameter of the fill hole.

I cut one to about 3 inches in length and wrapped it in electrical tape a few rounds and then grabbed my channel locks and used them to test fit the wooden limb into his filler cap hole. It fit perfectly and, when I removed it, it had taken the threading of the hole perfectly.

Me and my friend Andy let our bikes finish cooling down the rest of the way and we drained a little of our oil into a clean cup we carry with us and used it to filled Todd's bike up enough that we could see his oil level in the sight glass when the bike was at 0 (straight up)

We filled up our bikes with oil when we got home and I think Todd rode with that stick as his filler cap for about 6 months with no ill effects.

Second turned out a little less successful...

I was riding my RM250Z down the railroad tracks to get to my favorite fishing hole when the throttle cable broke right at the throttle end. I figured I could put a sinker from my little tackle box onto the end of the cable and re use it, but I didn't have enough slack to get it to fit back into the throttle cable housing...

So I disconnected my front brake cable (drum brakes FTW!) and connected the throttle cable to my front brake lever.

It worked perfectly to get me to the fishing hole and back home that day since I was taking it pretty easy. Of course, being 15 at the time and indestructible, I decided I'd go riding one more time before installing the new throttle cable my parents bought me and I ended up looping it out and breaking my rear fender. That's when I learned plastic stitching so I guess one MacGyver trick lead to another there...but I hated riding with a stitched up fender for the 4 months it took me to save up for a new one.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #333
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,169
Idle needle screw gone. Replace with spring from a ballpoint pen. (The click variety.)
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #334
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,109
640ADV brake and oil lines have the same fittings

The 640ADV uses some braided steel external oil lines. One external oil line and the hydraulic clutch line run just above the exhaust header. One or the other broke spilling oil on a smoking hot exhaust header which either caught on fire or just produced superheated smoke. The affect was the same - both lines unusable.

Did I mention I was on an adventure ride with gaspipe following an unused road across coastal sand dunes on the northern edge of the peninsula between Bahia de Tortugas and Vizcaino in Baja CA?

No towing or even riding double in that soft sand. I wasn't even sure I could get my 4X4 truck back to that location when I made it out. I was seriously f*%ked.

Until HWSNBN noted the brake lines and oil lines used the same fittings. Since I still had another 40 or 50 miles of soft sand riding, I opted to forgo the front brake and used that brake line as my oil return line.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #335
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
Did I mention I was on an adventure ride with gaspipe following an unused road across coastal sand dunes on the northern edge of the peninsula between Bahia de Tortugas and Vizcaino in Baja CA?
We definitely were a little bit off the beaten path when that snafu occurred.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #336
ZombieApocalypse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skred
You can jump start a tank with a HUMMER?

We couldn't get to the battery connector on the outside of the tank, so we stripped some field phone wire, WD-1, a seven strand steel wire, and, carefully, connected the batteries from the HUMMER to the batteries in the tank. Trickle charge for two hours and the tank started up.

While we were trickle charging the tank, we wired a couple of wooden blocks to the bottom of the treads and did the some digging. The TC was able to ease the tank out of the ditch with little damage.

OK, maybe not a motorcycle story, but it's the best I have. My bikes have been pretty reliable. Look up BDAR for more ideas.
This one got me thinking-not a motorcycle story either, but any time we run a battery down in one of our line trucks (I'm a telephone lineman), we just peel off a few feet of bare copper ground wire off the back, throw on our insulated protective gloves, and jump the truck with another-not the fanciest trick but it somehow always draws a crowd as we stand there holding the bent, bare wires between two 30,000 GVW trucks. Saves us calling the boss or our Motor Vehicle department and getting blamed for something.

za
ZombieApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #337
ZombieApocalypse
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat

Ok, one more super glue. Along with a tube of the stuff in my toolkit I also carry a dispenser of unwaxed dental floss. Wrapping, knotting, and soaking with super glue you can make some pretty imaginative and amazingly strong permanent and temporary repairs to things.
This trick is excellent for repairing the nose bridge of a busted pair of glasses, though it helps to have some wire and a small drill bit: http://www.instructables.com/id/Repa...read-and-supe/

I love Instructables.

za
Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #338
hgrail
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Some great minds at work in this thread..

I turned a pair of shapeless leather saddlebags into hardbags by finding a pair of tupperware containers that fit inside perfectly, using a hot punch to melt holes around the lid and edges of each box, and sealed the boxes shut with cable ties.
Cut a hole in the side of each box with tin snips for access, drill holes and bolt them to the fenders & supports (used these for 6 years or so).

If you happen to be riding a Victory cruiser and your clutch cable snaps - no problem. Drop it in 1st gear - wait for an opening in traffic - and sit on the start button until you are moving fast enough to powershift into the upper gears.

On the same Victory I found the fast idle switch can be used as a cruise control up to 50 mph in 5th gear.
hgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #339
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieApocalypse
This one got me thinking-not a motorcycle story either, but any time we run a battery down in one of our line trucks (I'm a telephone lineman), we just peel off a few feet of bare copper ground wire off the back, throw on our insulated protective gloves, and jump the truck with another-not the fanciest trick but it somehow always draws a crowd as we stand there holding the bent, bare wires between two 30,000 GVW trucks. Saves us calling the boss or our Motor Vehicle department and getting blamed for something.

za
If you parked the trucks so the bumpers were touching could you do it with one wire? Pos to pos.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #340
ZombieApocalypse
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02
If you parked the trucks so the bumpers were touching could you do it with one wire? Pos to pos.
Hah! Maybe....I like the way you think..of course, every piece of wire not used for grounding later contributes to the 'Christmas Breakfast' fund when we cash in the scraps at the end of the year

za
Old 06-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #341
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,474
Clutch Cable repair on the trail

My clutch cable snapped a few days ago out on the trail.
Luckily, I'd brough a few basic tools with me, and managed to make a temp fix.
With the wire cutters on some long nose pliers, I cut the last 6 inches of the cable housing off so I had about 5 inches of good wire hanging out.
Then I threaded that wire through one of the screw holes in my gas tank that is used to hold on the fairing (I ride the bike naked, so luckily I had the hole).
Then I pulled the wire tight with the pliers and clamped down hard with some vice-grips.
Normal riding...

and when I needed to disengage the clutch, I just pushed the grips down.
Clutch disengaged:

It wasn't graceful, but I managed to get okay using my knee to manipulate the clutch to finish the ride, and only did a few accidental wheelies leaving stoplights on the way home.

When I got home, I fitted a spare decompression cable/lever from another bike onto the clutch:

The cable was nowhere near long enough, so I just slid the decompression lever onto the front brake lever.

I hoped I'd be able to use both the front brake and the clutch at the same time like this, clenching my fist for the brake and fingertips for the clutch...but doing both of those and working the throttle is almost impossible, so uphill starts still result in stalling out the first few tries.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #342
lasvegasrider
Scotty, I need more power

Oddometer: 2,090
Cool2 More?/!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
We definitely were a little bit off the beaten path when that snafu occurred.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #343
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
Heres what I mean. Fork Seal Installation with Electrical Tape:

Clean the oil of the tube, wrap a buncha tape around it.

Slide the tube down so the ring of tape pushes the seal in:

And Walla:

Seal installed! Grab the end of the tape and yank- it just spins right off!
Nice One. Wish I'd thought of that before buying pipe, I had tape.

Name:  DSC000011.JPG
Views: 2065
Size:  117.8 KB
Old 08-10-2010, 04:44 AM   #344
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,288
Home made WP fork cap tool.
Name:  DSC00005.JPG
Views: 2080
Size:  140.5 KB
Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 AM   #345