Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #586
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
My guess would be it puts a side load on the tire and unseats the bead. Happened to me going around a corner on my old 550F when I had a blowout.
Physics -- how does it work?
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #587
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
I've always had luck breaking the bead on a rear tire with just the throttle. Let out all the air, pulling a valve core, lock the handlebars to one side and crack the throttle. Do the same in the other direction and the bead should walk right off.

Then again, I ride a KLR.
That's just about brilliant. But if I tried it, I could guarantee 1,000,000 YouTube hits.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #588
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,082
Here's another good one. So I was trying to tune the 4 carbs on my '73 CB500 with a single Harbor Freight vacuum gauge. Of course, i didn't have the right fitting for the vacuum ports. So I came up with this...

A scrap piece of hard plastic water line leftover from a previous project. I heated it with a lighter and stretched it out a bit, then cut it in half.

Sorry for the crappy pic.

Anyway, the tube fit nicely over the barbed fitting on the gauge while the tapered end was soft enough to thread right into the ports for an air tight seal.

It worked out pretty well. The gauge was pretty jumpy, so i used a set of vice grips and slightly pinched the line which steadied the needle quite a bit and allowed me to tune the carbs "good enough".
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #589
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
That's just about brilliant. But if I tried it, I could guarantee 1,000,000 YouTube hits.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #590
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Re-use your zipties.... Make zipties longer

Sometimes,you need to loosen or remove a ziptie,and you do not have enough spare ones around. Use a Vice grips and squeeze the ziptie from the sides and it should loosen up.. You might have to squeeze it back to shape the other direction to make the teeth grip again. I have no idea how I figured this out. It probably happened one time that I did not have a knife with me to remove the ziptie.
Second tip is probably obvious to many of you guys. You can link zipties together to make a bigger one when needed.
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #591
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanum View Post
Sometimes,you need to loosen or remove a ziptie,and you do not have enough spare ones around. Use a Vice grips and squeeze the ziptie from the sides and it should loosen up.. You might have to squeeze it back to shape the other direction to make the teeth grip again. I have no idea how I figured this out. It probably happened one time that I did not have a knife with me to remove the ziptie.
Second tip is probably obvious to many of you guys. You can link zipties together to make a bigger one when needed.
An other good idea, if you have enough zip-tie, loop it around twice.

1) Its stronger

2) If you have to cut it for a trail side repair, you can reuse it.

And zip-ties make good isolators. Example; Wrap the tie around two spark plug wires, before tightening wrap another tie between the two plug wires around the first tie and tighten. Finish by pulling the first tie tight.
Daamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #592
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 675
You tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Don't forget to link it here (or JM)
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #593
Wingboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Try as i might i couldn't depress (and hold) the rocker long enough to get the exhaust valve collets in.I've never had this much trouble with the 900 sport i had or with the 944 either.My 09 Hyper clearances were all fine except for the horizontal exhaust closer.The Hyper is an 1100 and the belts are on.I can push the rocker far enough.I guess i just need more muscle.There should be some kind of tool to use some leverage to hold it open.And no,i'm not pulling the head!
Making a proper tool would be the best way to do this.Here's what i did.I ground a good flat spot on the nut driver that i use normally to push down on the rocker.Then i deflated the front tire:eek: and wedged the driver (front brake locked up) between the tire and the rocker.Inflated the tire to about 10 psi and the collets popped right in easily! Obviously this will only work on the horizontal exhaust.
Tire deflated.

Tire inflated.

Wingboy screwed with this post 06-26-2011 at 05:18 PM
Wingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #594
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,751

That's kind of neat, Wingboy. A pneumatic press.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #595
CHECK_OIL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Tank rust removal, the shade tree way!

Mineral spirits and self tapping screws....Bout 4hrs.

CHECK_OIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #596
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
hah! genius
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #597
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daamud View Post
An other good idea, if you have enough zip-tie, loop it around twice.

1) Its stronger

2) If you have to cut it for a trail side repair, you can reuse it.
That is an awesome idea. I am going to shamelessly steal it and tell everyone I thought it up.

D
Old 06-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #598
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECK_OIL View Post
Mineral spirits and self tapping screws....Bout 4hrs.

Four hours while grandpa sits immobilized in a lawn chair in the blazing backyard sun. There ought to be a "Senior Protective Services" for this kind of stuff.
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #599
CHECK_OIL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
He made good use of his time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat View Post
Four hours while grandpa sits immobilized in a lawn chair in the blazing backyard sun. There ought to be a "Senior Protective Services" for this kind of stuff.
SPS approved it...
Attached Images

CHECK_OIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #600
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
I have never been able to make this work in a test. Nor have any of my budds been able to make it work in a common test at biker breakfast. My inclination is to call a HUGE BS on this. However, if anyone else can supprt this and post a repeatable (by me) description of how to make this work, I will post my apologies. One of the cages that we tried this on had the remote 400 yards in clear line of sight from the cage before it quit opening the locks. At that point, the cell phones were of no help in getting the doors unlocked. The remote uses a radio signal to activate the locks. This radio signal is not picked up/transmited by cell phone tech. My experiments were conducted apprx 2 winters ago when some bikers were bringing their cages to breakfast. I want the year, make and model of the cage that this works on. Rumor has it that an Onstar equiped cage can get it opened by calling Onstar and going thru a security tree.
While this might not work... older jeeps and some other cars have IR remote entry, which you can program a universal learning remote as an emergency spare ;)