Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #601
craftsmanracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
I was out on the beach, an accesible only-by-boat beach, it was time to go, and the battery was dead.
(115 honda outboard)
I was able to macgyver a DeWalt drill battery and a lantern battery to the starter and start the motor.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #602
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Sitting with Macgyver one pleasant afternoon on the public board walk near the river I lamented the fact that we couldn't have a cold one to accompany our traded tales of found-object savetheworldresourcefulrepurposingness when he gives the sage little tip of the head, and twinkle of eye, that signals the onset of genius and retrieves an empty ice tea can from the waste bin.

Deftly and delicately, lest he wrinkle an edge (a dead giveaway to the dark side always in the wings ready to pounce) he proceeded to scissor (he always carries some form of scissor in his multipocketed attire) away the the can at both ends where the label ends. Then he cut cleanly up the side where the label's edges meet. With a quick glance around, he then removed a tall icy chill brew from the cooler, and slid the iced tea jacket onto the new quaff! Incogneto! Anonymous Acoholics style! Quickly, we located and scissored up another jacket for a second treat, the golden sun was setting, tourists, locals, and police on bicycles ambling by with not the merest perturbation.

We at last finished our tales for this eve, ever slightly limned with two-brew happiness and fatigue, and then tossed our empties in the trash. Recovering a cardboard tube from an old saran wrap that a picnicer left behind, Mac cut the tube in half, and rolled our iced tea brew-camo jackets into each half to store in our tank bags until next time. The rolling up actually serving to better cling the jacket against the next can down the road.

That Macgyver. He can be a troublemaker.

svejkovat screwed with this post 07-14-2011 at 10:16 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #603
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Sheer genius!

I will use this information for good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat View Post
Sitting with Macgyver one pleasant afternoon on the public board walk near the river I lamented the fact that we couldn't have a cold one to accompany our traded tales of found-object savetheworldresourcefulrepurposingness when he gives the sage little tip of the head, and twinkle of eye, that signals the onset of genius and retrieves an empty ice tea can from the waste bin.

Deftly and delicately, lest he wrinkle an edge (a dead giveaway to the dark side always in the wings ready to pounce) he proceeded to scissor (he always carries some form of scissor in his multipocketed attire) away the the can at both ends where the label ends. Then he cut cleanly up the side where the label's edges meet. With a quick glance around, he then removed a tall icy chill brew from the cooler, and slid the iced tea jacket onto the new quaff! Incogneto! Anonymous Acoholics style! Quickly, we located and scissored up another jacket for a second treat, the golden sun was setting, tourists, locals, and police on bicycles ambling by with not the merest perturbation.

We at last finished our tales for this eve, ever slightly limned with two-brew happiness and fatigue, and then tossed our empties in the trash. Recovering a cardboard tube from an old saran wrap that a picnicer left behind, Mac cut the tube in half, and rolled our iced tea brew-camo jackets into each half to store in our tank bags until next time. The rolling up actually serving to better cling the jacket against the next can down the road.

That Macgyver. He can be a troublemaker.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #604
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
Sheer Genius!
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #605
Mungo
Monarch 53

Oddometer: 347
Man o man I love this thread. The beer can camoflage is just brilliant.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #606
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
I will use this information for good!
What ???....they don't sell them fake plastic labels anymore. Coca-Cola and 7-Up I remember.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #607
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
What ???....they don't sell them fake plastic labels anymore. Coca-Cola and 7-Up I remember.
Yeah, gotta admit I wondered about that one myself. We used to get those from the 'head shop' in town back in the early '70s when those shops were pretty commonplace. I seem to recall they were "Caco-Calo" and "Dr. Peeper", etc, and looked perfectly legit unless you looked really close. Thin plastic that stuck to the condensation. I have not seen them since the '70s tho. Macgyver's got to have seen those too I'd guess, so maybe he's being a bit of a poser on this one.

...postscript... waddyaknow? You can still get these wraps. I just google imaged "caco-calo" and found this...

.... on the bottom of this page....
http://www.bottleblaster.com/store/

Must be more Anonymous Alcoholics out there than I realized.

svejkovat screwed with this post 07-15-2011 at 09:57 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #608
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat View Post

Must be more Anonymous Alcoholics out there than I realized.
Oh man that's funny, reminds me of Danny "Two Cans Dan" and his "road rockets" at 4.00 PM going home after work.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #609
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,270
just saw this rolling down I25 north of T or C, i know my camera skills suck. he was running about 50

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #610
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,202
^^

http://www.shipstoday.net/products.p...ycle-Tow-Dolly
Daamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #611
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daamud View Post
I could see it if all you had was a subaru or something... but WHY would you run this behind a damned pickup?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #612
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,202
I think that picture is for showing how the thing is used.

Wonder how that would act behind a Gold Wing? T_T could make some money delivering lighter bikes while wandering around the country.
Daamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #613
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly View Post
just saw this rolling down I25 north of T or C, i know my camera skills suck. he was running about 50

Old 08-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #614
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,964
I've looked for a place to tell this story for years. Thanks Adventure Rider!

I was sent to a BMW car broken down in Washington, DC. The car ran but would not go above creeping speed. Found that the throttle cable was connected but there was another cable along side it. Don't know but think it was some kind of an expansion chamber that worked with the throttle. It was a standard cable construction, stranded wire inside a sheath. There was some of the wire available but not enough to tie the two ends together. I used the cable clamp end of a universal battery cable repair end. I put the two parts of the broken cable in the lead repair part (standard battery cable part) and tightened the steel clamping part. It held. I got to charge for this repair. It was over 20 years ago and I charged the guy $25. He complained but he paid and he also got to drive home.

Charlie
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #615
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Found that the throttle cable was connected but there was another cable along side it. Don't know but think it was some kind of an expansion chamber that worked with the throttle.
Charlie
Cruise control vacuum chamber.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote