Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #676
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,671
Original was a pair of pliers and some barbed wire. This was after we found an Ace Hardware store. Thanks Megadeus. . ..

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #677
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,182
Lets get this one rolling again

Had a friend who installed car audio just out of high school for a while.

His tip was; When striping insulation from a small gauge wire, use a Bic lighter. Heat it until it starts to burn, then dig your thumb nail into it and jerk the insulation off. It prevents you from cutting the few strans of wire available.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #678
Pez
b00b

Oddometer: 613

Story is, thats the battery pack for my Canon Rebel. About 5 years ago the spring for one of the batteries fell out while taking night pictures of an old train station in Louisiana. Just so happened I was in my truck and had been fishing all day and I had some odd little 3 prong hooks with a spring on them. I sat there 12 o'clock at night with a multi-tool disecting the hook and harvested the spring for my battery pack. Now fast forward those 5 years to today, that old rigged spring had worked great and was in use until I went to change the batteries today and the spring dissappeared into the grass. Riding my bike and having nothing to rig up I wandered the road I was on and found a old beer can. I pulled the tab off and used my Honda's stock tool kit pliers to smash it down into the "right" size. After all was said an done it worked perfectly! Looking forward to seeing how long it lasts

A message for all of Humanity
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #679
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,774
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post

I got tired of keeping my tool kit in my camelback and made a rubber strap to tie it on the tail.

I took three rolls of rubber tape. 2 rolls of 1-1/2" x 1/16th x 12 feet, and one 3/4 inch roll. It's some kind of splicing tape, and I don't know where to get it. The sparky on the job chucked it out because it was old. It's adhesive backed, and white on the back.

I unrolled them, peeled the backing off and carefully stuck them together with the narrow tape in the middle. Cut it into a 3-1/2 foot and a 7-1/2 footer for longer trips.

Ace hardware for the buckle. The blue bag is made from 2" vinyl that I slit lenghtways and glued the edges with imagine this, vinyl glue..

Stainless box in second pic was a metalshop project. I ran a bead of rtv around it to act as a gasket to keep it dry.

Spare nuts and bolts, fuel line, tow rope, a plug, small first aid kit, a patch kit a couple tire spoons. Oh and quicksteel.

Edit: Going on a ride tomorrow, and I'm bringing a 9 mile can along. Tucked under two previous wraps like this, I went on a 200 mile ride complete with trails and jumps, and it never budged.

I would strongly recommend against doing that... I did it once with a tie down... ONCE! When I hit a large enough jump in the desert flat out riding @ 50~65 mph offroad it bottomed out the rear suspension it completely locked up the rear wheel and I think my ass swallowed my seat for 60 seconds or so as I came to a terrifyingly quick halt offroad. Luckily since the wheel locked at the end of the jump and mid air I came down on the front wheel and stayed that way long enough to get square... I felt like a real moron for a bit - then spent the next 45 min cutting tie down outa my rear sprocket.

Not a good solution trust me - find another.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #680
CHECK_OIL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
Macgyver told me the trick of heating olive oil up really hot and pouring it into the jug to free up a rusted piston.
He said as the heat expanded parts you'd hear a click. I didn't, so it was on to the BFH to give it 30 whacks.

Awsome!
CHECK_OIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #681
jcadcars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
diy heat shield.

Melted a few bags in my day. Side panels don't come back far enough to really cover the muffler for my giant loop bag...looking around the shop...old plate looks good. Works perfect. Couple short bolts in the plate to keep it off the muffler.

jcadcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #682
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
Macgyver told me the trick of heating olive oil up really hot and pouring it into the jug to free up a rusted piston.
He said as the heat expanded parts you'd hear a click. I didn't, so it was on to the BFH to give it 30 whacks.

DUDE!!! You standing on a rickety chair swinging a splitting maul. What could possibly go wrong?
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #683
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,584
Go wrong...not much, I tightened up the screws on the step stool so it wouldn't occilate too much...

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #684
Pez
b00b

Oddometer: 613
On a recent 150 mile journey to pick up a truck. I had to do a 20 mile stint on I-20. Well turns out at 65 mph with shitty roads the whole bike vibrates a little to much and the kickstand works its way down. And with the CB250 if the kickstand comes down while in gear it will kill the bike! That was a no go. So I pulled over to take a leak in the wood line and ponder what to do, I found a steel strap used for holding down a fire extinguisher! Brand spanking new, set there just for me it seemed.

So in a ditch on the side of Interstate 20 I laid my bike on its side and straped the kickstand to the exhaust. Why didn't Honda make this factory spec?

A message for all of Humanity
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #685
Sak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
If your front suspension snaps off because your overloaded your vehicle, and your friendly towing service is 400 miles away, just throw some fat wooden poles in your dump truck, weight the front end with a few soldiers, strap your limping vehicle to the back of the poles, tip the dump bed back down and drive 'er home!

If your generator stops powering your tools because the fuse is blown, just take out the old fuse, wrap it in a metallic gum wrapper, put it back in and keep working. The worst that can happen is that the magic smoke comes out of the expensive-looking capacitor-type thing in your generator, leaving your camp without power for weeks, and your boss has to explain to his boss what happened!

Sorry, also not bike-related. If your starter solenoid is buggered, run a heavy gauge wire directly through your dash, strip a few inches, and when you need to start, just tap the wires together!

If the same ancient abused Toyota isn't charging, so your battery runs flat just as night sets in, just hold a flashlight over the windscreen with one hand and steer with the other. Thank god for stupid simple diesels! (Sorry no extra hand so no pics)
Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #686
Sak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
If your gloves are wet and you want a constant, gently warm airflow to dry them, stick 'em by your computer's air exhaust. Finally an advantage of owning an old, inefficient computer.
Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #687
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
This type of shell brackets are a good option to keep your soft panniers in place (Made a 3000 Mile travel holding a 21Lts soft panniers away from the muffler and the other one away from the wheel)

And this Hose Clamps are a good replacement for your broken exhaust clamp on an XR engine. (My NX still has one)

Dexter2811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #688
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sak View Post
If your gloves are wet and you want a constant, gently warm airflow to dry them, stick 'em by your computer's air exhaust. Finally an advantage of owning an old, inefficient computer.
I have sleep apnea and therefore a CPAP machine (in fact I now own three of those suckers). I've used that blower for all kinds of things, including inflating air mattresses and drying out a gas tank.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #689
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sak View Post
Sorry, also not bike-related. If your starter solenoid is buggered, run a heavy gauge wire directly through your dash, strip a few inches, and when you need to start, just tap the wires together!
I once had a '76 Dodge Aspen that more often than not wouldn't spin the starter with the key. I got to where I could hit the solenoid contacts with a screwdriver from under the driver's rocker panel (360 engine) without looking or putting my knees down. I eventually installed some fat wire and a high-amp pushbutton on the dash to "fix" the problem.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #690
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,278
A real handy one, Seems headlight bulbs go bad at the most inopportune time, a trick I have used dozens of times.

You remove the bulb then turn on the dead beam, then take your finger and flick the bulb, if the element is still attached at one end, it will bounce around and literally weld itself back together. Sometimes lasts weeks, sometimes just until you hit a big bump. But it can buy you time, or save you a ticket.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote