Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #691
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
or you can wrap a replacement one and tape it to the bottom back of your headlight...
Dexter2811 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #692
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,077
Back when I was a broke-assed kid, I once lost low beam in a headlight, didn't have money for a new one, and didn't want to run around with only the high beams on, so I pulled the plug and swapped the low and high beam wires to light the high beam on only one side.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #693
Zman1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Nice weather here. Of course my headlight goes out Saturday night, shop doesn't open until Tuesday. No problem, I have a spare 1157 stop/turn signal bulb in the drawer. Break out the solder gun and solder one wire to both prongs on the end of the bulb and wrap another wire around the base for the ground. Plug in to the wiring harness. Bingo, a headlight that is surprisingly very bright and most importantly, legal!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #694
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #695
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 688
About 30 years ago, I took a trip to the Black Hills on my BMW R100RS. I parked at Sylvan Lake, and took what has always been my favorite hike in the hills, the 6-mile round trip up to Harney Peak, the highest point in the hills. When I got back it was twilight, the parking lot was empty, and the store was closed. I tried to unlock the steering on the beemer, but it was jammed. Those old airheads had a big brass deadbolt that was pushed into a slot in the steering stem, and locked in place with a key. If someone had a thought to swipe your bike, and tried to turn the bars straight, it could put burrs on the deadbolt, which then could not be extracted from the stem.
Which apparently happened to me. Just at dark, in the middle of the Black Hills.
I worked at the stubborn bolt for a while, then gave up, stepped back, and considered my options.
I put the bike on it's centerstand, and looked things over. The handlebars were turned almost all the way to the left lock, and there was enough play in the locked steering stem to move the ends of the handlebars about an inch in either direction.
I began kicking the front tire to the right, and after about 15 minutes I had twisted the press-fit triple clamps around to have the front wheel pointing straight. I had been roadracing for a few years by then, and knew that if I kept my speed up, the tiny bit of steering lock I had would be enough.
One little problem, though.
The road out of Sylvan Lake to Rapid City was exceptionally twisty, with several 15-mph turns, and even a couple of
10-mph hairpins, as it plunged down the mountain.
So, all it required was that I go as fast as I could, unless I ran out of steering lock. Then I had better stop as fast as I could, before I went over the edge of the switchbacks.
It sure sounds easy.

It all worked out fine in the end, and that crazy charge down the mountain is one of my fondest riding memories.
I never had to bail out, and I borrowed a 1/2" drill at a gas station and drilled out the steering lock.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #696
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Cool stuff
Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #697
LaChupacabra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Fixing a start button

So I bought a 1971 CL450 from my best friend who ALWAYS kick started the bike. the starter button was at a crazy angle and while trying to force it true, it broke off in my vise-grips.... I went to Fleabay and found a NOS starting button for $5 when it came in the mail i found that it didn't have the spring which was in the picture. I took the spring from my balpoint pen and stuck it behind the start button.

Mullet pride.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #698
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChupacabra View Post
So I bought a 1971 CL450 from my best friend who ALWAYS kick started the bike. the starter button was at a crazy angle and while trying to force it true, it broke off in my vise-grips.... I went to Fleabay and found a NOS starting button for $5 when it came in the mail i found that it didn't have the spring which was in the picture. I took the spring from my balpoint pen and stuck it behind the start button.

Mullet pride.

I've used a ball point pen spring behind the air mixture screw on a carb as well, that is until the appropriate one was swept up from the shop floor.
Parepin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #699
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,692
This is not a mechanical tip, but one that worked in my garage the other day. I was taping drywall joints and realized I was short one hand. I put my fibre tape in a packing tape gun and was able to quickly apply, smooth and cut the fibre tape without dropping stuff.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #700
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
This is not a mechanical tip, but one that worked in my garage the other day. I was taping drywall joints and realized I was short one hand. I put my fibre tape in a packing tape gun and was able to quickly apply, smooth and cut the fibre tape without dropping stuff.
Brilliant!
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #701
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,850

Great idea C-S!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #702
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Brilliant!
Can you email that to SWMBO? I don't think she realizes it some days...

C.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #703
Dauntless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I had a 1985 Ford F-350 dump truck that was used to haul a chipper around for my tree service business. I was at a customer's house getting ready to leave after a long, hot day of climbing trees. The rod that gets pushed when you depress the clutch pedal broke. I took this tube with a seam along the length of it off of the buckle of my climbing saddle. It probably has an internal diameter of a quarter inch. I stuck both ends of the broken clutch rod into the tube which acted like a coupler. Then, I took two small hose clamps off of the fuel line of the chipper and clamped them around the tube. It lasted for the ten mile ride home and probably would have lasted for several months. The next day I went to the hardware store and bought a stronger steel tube and some brazing rods and fused it all together.
Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #704
old fart bob
Armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Bent clutch or brake lever

#1 About 40 years ago a metallurgist told me to heat my bent aluminum brake lever to a dull red, straighten it with a couple pairs of pliers and it would be fine when it cooled. It worked.
#2 I always carry a length of gas line slipped inside my handlebars.
#3 Taped inside my headlight bucket in a sealed plastic bag I used to keep an emergency $5 bill, a spare ignition key. Now it's 2-$20 bills and a spare key.
old fart bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #705
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Take an old inner tube and cut a large rectangle out of it. Wide enough to wrap around a nice straight portion of your MC's frame and how ever long you can make it to fit that straight section. Then use a bunch of hose clamps to hold it on the frame. Now you have spare hose clamps and spare emergency tube patches or patches for any other rubber...

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote