ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #811
Irish John
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Lawrence, KS but I'd rather be in Ireland
Oddometer: 216
Chinese tranny repair

Once while working in China, I repaired the tranny on an old Nissan with a pair of chop sticks. The internal shift mechanism destroyed it self. Pulled the shift boot off and I could see down into the transmission. Used a pair of chop sticks to fish out the broken pieces of the mechanism. We no longer had reverse so you had to be careful where you parked, but we did have 1st and 3rd gear if you held the shift lever in place. We drove it that way for about a week.
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #812
Dastard
Just another guy
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: wherever I am told to be
Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
Thats brilliant.
I see what you did there.

DK
__________________
WR250R converted to X
S10 (the faster, sexier, more awesome BLACK one). Its like a mustache, with titties!!
Dastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #813
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,581
On a week long Lake Powell trip we were out late one night on the ski and fishing boat filling the boat with stripers and catching some pretty serious buzzes.. Must have been 5 of us on that rig having the times of our lives.

We had been trolling around for hours on the electric trolling motor. Finally the beer ran out and the electric trolling motor was getting sluggish we decided it might be best to find our way back to the house boat.We went to fire the boat up and got the dreaded click click. Apparently fish lights and marker lights and a cd player can drain even a good battery over several hours.

Immediately we pondered our fate drifting aimlessly in the main channel of lake Powell miles away from anyone at 3am. On top of that it was a moonless night and navigation was exceedingly difficult.

Within the minute I had brilliant idea, I'd try the trolling motor's deep cycle battery in place of the boats battery. Not even close to cranking it over. Damns.

Then it hit me, connect the two in series to produce more voltage. With a pair of jumpers and 2 pairs of vice grips we got them connected. Boat roared to life. Cheers abounded.

Finding our way back thru mazes of canyons at 3am dead drunk in no moon, is well..... the other half of the story.
__________________
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #814
fastdadio
Still gettin faster
 
fastdadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Pinckney Mi.
Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
On a week long Lake Powell trip we were out late one night on the ski and fishing boat filling the boat with stripers and catching some pretty serious buzzes.. Must have been 5 of us on that rig having the times of our lives.

We had been trolling around for hours on the electric trolling motor. Finally the beer ran out and the electric trolling motor was getting sluggish we decided it might be best to find our way back to the house boat.We went to fire the boat up and got the dreaded click click. Apparently fish lights and marker lights and a cd player can drain even a good battery over several hours.

Immediately we pondered our fate drifting aimlessly in the main channel of lake Powell miles away from anyone at 3am. On top of that it was a moonless night and navigation was exceedingly difficult.

Within the minute I had brilliant idea, I'd try the trolling motor's deep cycle battery in place of the boats battery. Not even close to cranking it over. Damns.

Then it hit me, connect the two in series to produce more voltage. With a pair of jumpers and 2 pairs of vice grips we got them connected. Boat roared to life. Cheers abounded.

Finding our way back thru mazes of canyons at 3am dead drunk in no moon, is well..... the other half of the story.
Strippers is spelled with two (2) "p"s. Thank you very much.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #815
jgrebe
n00b
 
jgrebe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 3
Alternator brushes

Alternator ate a set of brushes on the way to Alaska (think remote) and ran out of charge to keep the truck running. Having lots of time, realized that a D cell battery has a center post (anode?) made of graphite. Cut a piece about the right size, epoxied the lead into a hole drilled with a swill army knife, carved a wooden holder to adapt to the original metal clip and viola! Last the entire way to Anchorage
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #816
jestragon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Until recently W-Africa, temp. Leipzig Germany
Oddometer: 224

. by jestragon, on Flickr

Bought a battery in the Gambia after the one I bought locally (which was the only 12v 12ah battery I could find anywhere; this country is seriously lacking in parts) died shortly after buying. Come home (in the bush), realise the battery is about a centimeter too fat for my aprilia Tuareg's battery compartment.

I live a three hour drive from the nearest internet/petrol station/town where not much can be had anyway, so I had to resort to a little creativity with scraps of a plastic jerry can (which I'd already cut into to fashion the liner for a machete sheath) heated over a small gas camping stove, copper wire, bits of old floor mat and the shock absorbing mount on the bottom was achieved with an old rear wishbone silent block, locally carved from an old truck tire. It's not pretty but it's pretty snug, holds the battery well. No problems with the battery either so far.
jestragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #817
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 207
Years ago my wife and I were tooling around Long Island Sound in our new 20' Shamrock inboard when all of sudden we lost steering, around and around we went. Went back to the steering assembly and found the bronze rudder arm which attaches to the rudder shaft snapped in two.

Fortunately I had a pair of vise-grips in my toolbox and clamped it hard around the rudder shaft and steered the boat from the stern, sort of like using a tiller in a sailboat. If I had another pair of vise-grips I could have clamped the ends of the steering cables to the grips on the rudder and I could have steered it like usual

It's funny my wife always used to ask me why I always carried that big clunky toolbox on the boat, she doesn't ask me anymore.....


Ron W.
__________________
DRZ 400SM
DL-650 Gone but not forgotten
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #818
Speed Racer
Falling is bad
 
Speed Racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Sacramento & Alta
Oddometer: 198
Transalp CDI fix

I had an intermittent failure of one of the two CDIs on my 90 Transalp. I was able to limp the 600+ miles home by attaching some dental floss to the connector of the failing CDI, and every time it failed I would pull violently on the floss until it would resume working. True story.
__________________


Is the petcock on?

Speed Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #819
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
luxlogs's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Joliet IL
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
I had an intermittent failure of one of the two CDIs on my 90 Transalp. I was able to limp the 600+ miles home by attaching some dental floss to the connector of the failing CDI, and every time it failed I would pull violently on the floss until it would resume working. True story.
Something similar

Years ago I went an looked at a Yamaha Dirtbike, upon inspection I found a small C clamp on the CDI unit. Ask owner, he didn't know shit, yeah right. Removed Clamp bike died. Replaced Clamp bike runs. Went home without bike.
__________________
ABC # 11808
74 911S
87 TW200
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #820
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Arcanum OH
Oddometer: 309
Spray can straw holder

There must be a need for these,as I have actually seen stuff for sale to hold the little straw on the can.......
I was at Lowes the other day and got a free coffee. The little stir thingies for the coffee are a nice fit over the outside of the spray can straw.
Cut the coffee stirrer off a little shorter than your spraycan straw,melt one end closed,tape it to the can, and it holds the little dispensing straw nice and neat. I put a kink in the coffee stirrer and I can turn the spray can upside down without losing the dispensing straw.
Sorry for writing such a long explanation,,but my camera is broke and so am I.
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #821
Easterner
Just Landed
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: North & West of the Lights
Oddometer: 304
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #822
motu
Loose Pre Unit
 
motu's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 4,429
I lost one of my swingarm pivot caps - no problem, I found another one, and it's chrome too!



I converted to road tube breather last week, and needed a breather filter, in the bottom of my carburettor box I found an adjustable breather filter.

motu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #823
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wlfman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: TN/AL
Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanum View Post
There must be a need for these,as I have actually seen stuff for sale to hold the little straw on the can.......
I was at Lowes the other day and got a free coffee. The little stir thingies for the coffee are a nice fit over the outside of the spray can straw.
Cut the coffee stirrer off a little shorter than your spraycan straw,melt one end closed,tape it to the can, and it holds the little dispensing straw nice and neat. I put a kink in the coffee stirrer and I can turn the spray can upside down without losing the dispensing straw.
Sorry for writing such a long explanation,,but my camera is broke and so am I.
I just use a rubber band...
__________________
I ride not to add days to my life, but to add life to my days.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #824
disston
ShadeTreeExpert
 
disston's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Silver Spring, Md
Oddometer: 8,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanum View Post
There must be a need for these,as I have actually seen stuff for sale to hold the little straw on the can.......
I was at Lowes the other day and got a free coffee. The little stir thingies for the coffee are a nice fit over the outside of the spray can straw.
Cut the coffee stirrer off a little shorter than your spraycan straw,melt one end closed,tape it to the can, and it holds the little dispensing straw nice and neat. I put a kink in the coffee stirrer and I can turn the spray can upside down without losing the dispensing straw.
Sorry for writing such a long explanation,,but my camera is broke and so am I.
I have a couple of these molded rubber pieces that fit over the can and hold the straw at the end of a length of the rubber in a small hole. They look like they should work but for somereason I never use them. if I put one on a can I still loose the straw or something happens I don't like them . They have been in the glove box of my car for years. I got arrested and when my car was towed by the cops stuff got stolen out of my car at the cops impound yard but these stupid rubber things are still in the glove box when I got the car back. URRRGH.

I like the coffee stirrer thing. I'll give that a shot.
__________________
.
Never memorize something you can look up.
---Albert Einstein

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #825
freax
Adventurer
 
freax's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 72
Can we talk about actual macgyver episodes? I love that one where he is in the wilderness and he needs water, so there is moss growing on the ground and all he does is stick a straw into it and lets the water run out.

Truly genius stuff that is.

The episode is Season 3 Episode 4

Oh also, once I triggered the starter motor on a carburetted car by simply getting the wire from a speaker out the back and putting the car in ignition and hooking it up between the positive terminal and the starter's solenoid, kicked over like a charm.

freax screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 02:08 AM
freax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014