Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #856
Flyboy52219
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Alternator went out on friends 95 BMW K75 on a trip from Detroit to Niagara/Toronto. We spent 5 hours running to the next big town to try and solution a fix. Pulled the headlight plug to conserve power. Strapped a car battery to the Pillion with hefty wire running to the battery so it would power the injectors. Got him through the weekend (with some stops for charging) all they way back to the border when something else fried. He picked up the bike next day...at least it was less than 40 miles from home.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #857
Toysoldier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
i was slowing down for some lights and the clutch bolt fell out.

so i could not stop without stalling as i could not pull the leaver in.

first thing i think was keys and put a get in the space with my huge bunch of keys then stopped, carryed on to work and sorted it there haha.

Toysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #858
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
I was getting my ATV, 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700, ready for a week long camping trip. The destination was 525 miles from home. The afternoon before our departure I notice the brakes are pretty weak. A quick checked revealed good pads, just need to bleed them. No DOT 3 at the house so I have my wife pick some up on her way home. I was busy packing the toyhauler and decided to take care of the brakes the next morning before we head out.

Next morning I pop the top off of the master cylinder and notice it is almost empty. Hmmmm. I fill it up and have the wife pump it a few times while I head to the back to bleed the rear caliper. Every time she pulls the lever I hear a disturbing hiss. Close inspection shows the brake line has managed to end up next to the prop shaft and the shaft has worn a hole in the line.

I go into the house and call the local dealer. Not in stock, must order one. I called every dealer along my route south from Fairbanks and it was the same with each one, not in stock, must order, and OBTW, it won't be up here from the Lower 48 any time soon. SIDE NOTE: My rear caliper is actuated by the foot pedal or by the front brake lever. It actually has two brakes lines going to it. I needed the one coming from the front lever. It doesn't do you confidence much good when you have to explain the system to all but one of the parts counter guys you talk to and they have the disgram in front of them!

Anyhow, I am supposed to take off in an hour or so and must have a functional ATV for the trip. The rear brake works with the pedal but it's not stopping you anytime soon. I must have my front brakes but can't as long as that rear line has a hole in it. I thought maybe I could cap the line but it is 1/2 the diameter of anything I might have in the shop. Running into the caliper it is a flexible hose but it mates with a steel line running from a junction block up front. They told me I would have to order the whole assembly, can't just get the flex line I need. So, I pulled the seat and air filter housing to se just how the line was routed. Turns out is runs right along the frame up top. Grabbed a flat sided body work dolly and a BFH and beat on that thing until the steel line was completely flat for about a 4 to 6 inch length. A quick check with the lever showed lots of front brake with no leak at the rear. The rear pedal works great, front lever works great. I may never order that $87.00 brake line!
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #859
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
I'm very happy this thread is still going. Here's my Macguyver trick for today.

So a friend of mine calls me, she needs to borrow a few bikes for today for the parade. I say sure.

Her main bike, an FZ1 has a blown electrical system, she installed the battery backwards and fried everything.

We pick up one bike, bring it to her place.

While there I check her FZ1.

Turns out the main fuse is out, she thought she checked all the fuses, but Yamaha in their ultimate wisdom uses a PAL fuse for the main fuse. Do you know where to pick up a PAL fuse locally? I sure as shit don't (dealers aren't open Sunday and Monday) unless of course someone here knows of one which is? Maybe a Marine or boat supply place....

So she drops me off at home where I do some MacGuyvering on the fuse. Let's crack this stupid looking thing open. Lets see, all it is is two female .316 spade connector mated together. The mating portion was snipped IE blown.

LIGHT BULB, let's weld em back together.

Oh wait my friend borrowed my welder, and it's 3am......

I have jumper cables, got a penny? See if you have an older one, those have more copper in em. (In hindsight I think a nickel would have been better).

Great, 1968 penny, a classic.

Pop your hood.

What for?

Just pop the hood.

Clip metal together with needle nose pliers, connect negative jumper cable around needle nose pliers to keep it all together.

Connect penny to positive cable.

Connect other end of jumper cables to car battery.

Buzzzzzzzzzzzz, I'm blind, buzzzzzzzzzzzzz, voila done. MacGuyver taught me well.

Fuse works....wonder if it will still blow as intended?

Anyway, just in case, does anyone have one of these stupid things around? in 50amp? Oh, we'd need it literally within the next 2-3hrs (in Redhook Brooklyn).

I just finished making a loop with 10 gauge cable as well as two short sections with a .316 female spade on one end and a 1\4" spade on the other and I should have a couple of standard 40 amp fuses lying around, basically a makeshift fuse holder.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #860
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,131
Wish I had pictures, but once I made a thermostat cover gasket for a Toyota in a snowy parking lot out of cardboard coated on both sides with rubber cement. Lasted for weeks.

And once my bro and I were out in our canoe after dusk, and we sheared the shear pin on the 5-horse outboard. We paddled to a remote area that had a (closed) bathroom building. I kicked a wooden handrail to withdraw the nails, then placed a key between the point of the nail and the post, and kicked the board back into place, extracting the nail, which made a great, if un-shearable, shear pin.

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #861
CBoy808
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I carry zipties with me all the time. They work great for everything. Hose Clamps, replacing small bolts if they fall out/off. Its better than duct tape!
CBoy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #862
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 162
Years ago while hunting in S.W. Colo the wheel cylinder blew out in the front of the 1947 Ford pick-up ending pressure to all the wheels. I found a small nail in the glove box, took the hose off the backing plate put the nail in the hose and TIGHTENED it . that left three wheel brakes kind of grabby and pulled left but let us get back to town.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #863
OlivierS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
breaking the bead with a tent

OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #864
MustHaveRM250
Steve

Oddometer: 25
MustHaveRM250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #865
ADVDucs33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Carb linkage....my buddy lost a spring that helps keep all the butterflies in sync on his '96 katana 600. I sat back a minute, thought about the spring that we needed and had an ah ha moment, the diameter of its seat looked close to that of the rear brake switch spring on my '75 honda cb550, snipped the long ends off of it with some pliers, fed it in with a screwdriver and it set right in! was a worth while fix, that he still has in the bike lol.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #866
Iball
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Dead battery on my F650. Luckily I always carry a small SLA battery in a battery box in one of my panniers to run my ham radio stuff so i was able to jump the bike straight off it with some 12GA wire plugged into the tender cable. Replaced crappy 2-year-old lead-acid battery with an AGM that day and no issues since.
Iball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #867
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 495
The mystical loss of a Clip type chain lock.
Yes, it happened to me, somewhere in Romania, I just saw it by pure luck.

In before, yes, it was mounted correctly, I triple check on important parts (brakes, chain, etc.).

However, nothing a bit of wire couldn't fix.

Holds up perfectly for almost 8000 km by now.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #868
maxmonte
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quite a few years back on my old '82 Vespa Et3 the flange holding the carb to head broke off... and the carburetor just fell off.
To make it home I had to ride with the seat flipped open, sitting on the tank cap (with a nice retaining clip with a screw sticking up! Pain!!!) with my left hand down in the frame to hold the carb in place. Of course every time I had to change gear I had to let go of the carb, engine would die, switch gear, grab the carb and put it back, engine would fire up again.... and so on.
I believe I run through quite a few stop signs! My butt was extremely grateful when I made it home!
maxmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #869
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
The mystical loss of a Clip type chain lock.
Yes, it happened to me, somewhere in Romania, I just saw it by pure luck.

In before, yes, it was mounted correctly, I triple check on important parts (brakes, chain, etc.).

However, nothing a bit of wire couldn't fix.

[PIC]

Holds up perfectly for almost 8000 km by now.
if you have a clip chain you should always carry a couple of spare links.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #870
miguelR
biker

Oddometer: 64
wheel aligner
Alineador de emergencia: