Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #871
BankerGuy
Springsteen Fan

Oddometer: 11
Jump started a pickup truck without cables......drove truck 2 around so that the front bumpers touched (ground) and then used the jack handles to bridge across the positive terminals. Works great.....just don't touch the jack handles to anything else or you create a whopper of an arc......
BankerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #872
Clebner
Lurkin Slacker

Oddometer: 446
The other day I was about to haul a load of debris to the dump and noticed my trailer wire harness had a wire broken off right at the harness. I found a safety pin in my first aid kit and cut the needle off at 1/2 inch and stuck it in the wire then pushed it into the harness. The lights worked!
Clebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #873
stretch160
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Out on a ride too late last night on my DR, my one and only headlight bulb burns out. Of course it's a moonless night and I'm still in the NC mountains a hundred miles from home. I manage to make it to a gas station without getting killed but they have no bulbs, and the nearest store that might carry a bulb is much to far away to risk. But think of all the weight I saved not carrying a spare bulb. :blush:
After some head scratching I pull my headlight fairing and unplugged my head light and blinkers. With a scrap of wire I make some jumpers from the headlight plug to the blinker wires. Finlay I removed the yellow covers from the blinkers and.........BEHOLD!

It got me home safely. A few oncoming cars even flashed there lights at me.. bright but not at all focused. More like two little flood lights.
It isn't going to compare to a modern headlight, but visability was better than the stock headlight on my old 71 Honda :P

stretch160 screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 02:54 PM
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #874
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,208
Did high beam work? You may have gotten away with using that if you'd taped the top and bottom edges of the headlight with some electrical tape, or just cranked the adjuster down.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #875
stretch160
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
I wish it had bee that simple...
It was a single beam HID bulb.

it seems these HID bulbs fail rather dramatically when they finally do fail.

not a problem. I just rewired the bike today to take one of the dual beam HID bulbs from my old FZ1.
now I have a high beam again
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #876
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Day two of my first cross country trip...

Background - year 1991, just finished summer school at Stanford, just got my license 2 months before, riding my new EX-500 home to New Jersey, my girlfriends dad (also a rider) told me I had to go up to northern Cali to ride rt 36 - boy was he right, the best roller coaster road I've ridden, lots of shifting, I mean LOTS of shifting. It was so much fun I turned around and road it again, so lots more shifting.

Well, I pulled off rt 36 onto some highway and set out for some miles...about 10 miles down the road I needed to downshift for traffic. Hey, where's the shift lever? I look down to see it dangling. Oh boy. I reach down and try to shift it by hand, no dice. Reluctantly I pulled off the road in 6th gear and proceed to notice the lever bolt has backed out.

So I sat there as it began to rain and tried to figure out what to do. Not one car stopped, surprise. Then 2 bikes go by...then I hear them slow down and turn around. I wasn't sure how they were going to help.

One guy asks me if I have a tool kit. "Just the factory one", I say. He then asks if it has one of the double ended screwdrivers and if I have any duct tape.

Well to shorten this long story, he proceeds to put the screwdriver through the lever and into the bolt hole, then tapes it all to my footpeg.
The two of them then pushed me while I shifted down to a useable gear and off I went.

Got a new bolt off a showroom bike in Truckee, after explaining I couldn't wait a week for a replacement.

I always stop and ask bikers if they are alright, just because those two guys MacGuyvered me back on the road when I was a total newb, and because I know no cage will stop.

And that was always the first bolt I checked forever after.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #877
M-Cat
2 wheeled slacker

Oddometer: 339
Used the gold foil from inside a pack of Camels to "repair" a blown fuse on a buddy's Triumph when he found he didn't bring any spares.
I still can't believe it worked.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #878
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,022
Bead breaker,,,, 4" steel pipe, tree root and a brick.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #879
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,411
^^^

Had to try that one at home,from a cherry tree the bear kicked over. Certainly would work "on the road", I used the same little camping saw I usually carry....

Popped allright....!

Anyone carries electrical tape? Who needs zipties, tape is cheaper....??? Back on in 10 minutes!

50 cents worth of tape:

Old 10-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #880
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,093
I used the back on my 6x10 enclosed trailer once to break a bead. I forgot my home made bead breaker, made from a fence post with a piece of a car rim welded to it.

So I put my folding ramp on the ground, and placed the rim and tire under the back edge of the trailer while a friend cranked up the tongue jack, worked like a charm on both rims.

I was taking off a 3 day old set of tires I toasted in 1100 miles, in the Smokey's
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #881
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,411
Wanna do car/van tires??? With motorcycle tire irons??? Same procedure just a much heavier tool. Douglas Fir!

And back on:

Old 10-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #882
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,093
$2.50 for new fleece vest at Salvation army
$5.00 for a voltage controller on ebay
$6.00 for some iron on fabric tape
a couple of seat heater grids out of a junk Saab seat
some old speaker wire and couple of coax plugs

total cost about $15, and an hours time

Riding comfortably on a 32 degree day PRICELESS!!!

PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #883
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,326
I swapped out the K 60s on my varadero last weekend. It's cold here, a bit cold for the tires to be forgiving in want way at all. Bead breaker in my shop is usually the other bike, no second bike these days. For the front wheel I positioned it just right and backed my car over the tire. That broke the bead no problem. The rear being so much thicker it just got pushed out of the way by the car moving towards it. So, I jacked up the car shoved the wheel under the edge and let the jack down. Done.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #884
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
So, I jacked up the car shoved the wheel under the edge and let the jack down. Done.
You can do that the other way, placing the jack on the tire next to the bead and then jacking the car up.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #885
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
You can do that the other way, placing the jack on the tire next to the bead and then jacking the car up.
One better...

Use the screw type jack supplied with the car. Grind up a metal rod to use a cordless drill to fit the jack.