Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #931
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
Posted in orange crush also since Im working on a KTM Adventure but work on many forks.

Have read about compressed air but for "trail" use a needle for ball inflations and a hand pump works great also for removing the protective rubber cap.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #932
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,592
Sometimes you need to use what is at hand:

JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #933
KsFolly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
So I was 400 miles from home at 9.30pm when the alternator died. And we absolutely had to get home.
True it's a car not a bike but still counts right?

Genny on the roof and 5 car battery chargers kept her going.
KsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #934
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsFolly View Post
So I was 400 miles from home at 9.30pm when the alternator died. And we absolutely had to get home.
True it's a car not a bike but still counts right?

Genny on the roof and 5 car battery chargers kept her going.
For what you spent on all that you could have stopped at an Auto Parts store and purchased the alternator and the tools and did the swap in their parking lot...

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #935
mantree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
head it enough times, saw a few videos of it too. I have a bunch of spare batteries and enough red wine to go around, I'll try it myself.

great idea...as long as it isn't a pressurised hose or anywhere near a part of the engine that would get hot enough to melt.

I'm not sure which it is, I know the wine trick has to be poured INTO the battery. As for the asprin or tylenol I'm not sure if it goes into the electrolyte tubes or is crushed and sprinkled on the terminal itself. since you say coke removes rust I would assume you crush, sprinkle on the terminal, add coke to resolve the rust while solidifying the pill to the terminal while giving it a slight electrolyte boost.

Thats an oldie but a goodie. to others reading it must be black pepper, not white pepper (which is found is chinese resteraunts)

Another stop leak alternative is eggwhites. not sure how well it works but MacGyver did it.
Egg whites work on old dodge radiators when you take a dip on a logging road to fast the truck was later sent to the junk yard for frame damage from said dip
mantree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #936
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
For what you spent on all that you could have stopped at an Auto Parts store and purchased the alternator and the tools and did the swap in their parking lot...

I don't know many auto parts stores open at 9:30pm.
$200-$300 for a generator and another $50 to $100 in chargers. But, they now have a generator and chargers if they need them.
Sounds like a good patch job to me?
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:06 AM   #937
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
I don't know many auto parts stores open at 9:30pm.
$200-$300 for a generator and another $50 to $100 in chargers. But, they now have a generator and chargers if they need them.
Sounds like a good patch job to me?
Just return to Walmart when you're done..
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #938
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
I was on a road trip with the family when the alternator on my 7.3 Excursion died. We were about 5 hours away at the time. Went to the auto parts store and changed it with a crescent wrench and a tire iron. It helps that it was one of the easiest alternators I have ever seen. All told, took about 20 minutes.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #939
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,683
Or buy a new car battery (or two) and drive with no accessories, pulling fuses if necessary. Swap when the first one dies, unless you make it home first.

I found a parts place open at 10 p.m. in Phoenix once.

A friend of mine did a roadside alternator swap once. He got down to 9.5 volts before it died, and he coasted in to an auto parts place (only to discover that it was abandoned). He called around in the little burg to find a place that was open (on a Sunday) with one in stock, called a cab, and got the failed one out just as the cab pulled up. Went to the parts place and remembered to check the clocking on the new unit before leaving. It was off, so he got that taken care of before heading back to the car. Installed the new unit, push-started the car, and off they went.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #940
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Or buy a new car battery (or two) and drive with no accessories, pulling fuses if necessary. Swap when the first one dies, unless you make it home first.

I found a parts place open at 10 p.m. in Phoenix once.

A friend of mine did a roadside alternator swap once. He got down to 9.5 volts before it died, and he coasted in to an auto parts place (only to discover that it was abandoned). He called around in the little burg to find a place that was open (on a Sunday) with one in stock, called a cab, and got the failed one out just as the cab pulled up. Went to the parts place and remembered to check the clocking on the new unit before leaving. It was off, so he got that taken care of before heading back to the car. Installed the new unit, push-started the car, and off they went.
clocking?
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #941
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
clocking?
Where the mounting is compared to the hook ups. Sometimes they're different depending on application.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #942
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,297
Not bike or automotive related at all
My trusty razor gave up the ghost the other day, the treaded stud the handle attaches to came undone from the pot metal head.

What to do..what to do ?

Drilled and put a bolt through the bastards head, aint pretty, but it works.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #943
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laromonster View Post
My trusty razor gave up the ghost the other day, the treaded stud the handle attaches to came undone from the pot metal head.

What to do..what to do ?

Drilled and put a bolt through the bastards head, aint pretty, but it works.
Good fix, but speaking as a guy with a beard you could have quit shaving.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #944
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
same principle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
Trying to pull apart my 48mm KYB forks, needed a tool to hold the cartridge while the bottom bolt is removed. Found a 1 1/4" metal drain pipe, notched it, worked a treat. $10

I made a 4 point tool just like that to remove the centrifugal oil filter from a little Honda CB100 hope the picture will post Anyway,it is made from a socket and it works greathttp://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu194/farmboy6211/IMG_0014.jpg
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #945
scottzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
A few months ago I moved a very heavy 8' china cabinet (Bottom and glass top) across my dining room & den, on to my deck, down a small flight of stairs to a sharp turn through a fence gate and into my garage by myself using 2 48" sections of 3" pvc pipe. Yes, I rock.
On top of that, I did it quickly (Within 30 minutes) and didn't even sweat. Physics is an amazing thing.
scottzilla is offline   Reply With Quote