Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #106
Smiley1eye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Squared

Snaped a rear axel in my FJ40 Land cruiser deep in the woods...
Removed the tire/wheel and replaced the drum brake and chained a tree to the frame behind the front tire and made a travois (sp) under the rear axel...
Drove out of the woods maybe 5 miles with this. 3rd gear and up to 30MPH
I have pics somewhere.

I never freak out, just think and adapt.
Please find that picture!!!!
Smiley1eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #107
Sucks2drive
Banned

Oddometer: 3,479
When I lived in the UK, and about 20 years ago I had a Vauxhall Viva ( old crappy lookin british car) and was travelling from Sunderland to Sheffield to visit family. Because said car was such a heap of crap, I had a cantilever toolbox full of tools in the trunk... Thankfully, also carried 2 gallons of water as a matter of course.
The engine blew a core plug, the one on the cast iron head, under the heated Inmet manifold!. BUGGER!
I stripped the carb off and discovered that if i punched the core plug in at the edge with a screwdriver i could twist it and pull it out with a pair of pliers.... for the repair I used an English 1 Pound Coin that when wrapped in Aluminium foil from a Kit Kat was a perfect fit!
Re assemble, fill up, drive on.
I never replaced it, it never leaked and I gave it away eventually to a friend....... the car ran for another 4 years like that.
Sucks2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #108
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer: 1,714
I have used a nylon string that you by from any hardware store or walmart and cut pvc pipe with it.

Take the string, go around the pipe and pull back and fouth it will cut into the pipe.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:05 AM   #109
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,336
It is if it gets hot, the pressure changes the boiling point of the coolant upwards, this is one reason for caps coming in many different pressures.

This is why a hot system will boil as soon as the cap is removed, but isn't boiling with the cap on.

Brave man to leave the cap off, IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyTom
Did you leave the radiator cap off?

A pressurized cooling system is not necessary.
'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #110
skier
genius or insanity?

Oddometer: 186
non-pressurized cooling

Actually not necessary to be pressurized if you ride easy back to civilization. Drove a 1930 Ford Model A roadster for 25 of the last 30 years. They don't use a pressure cap, not new, not when modded to run all day here in the mountains at 60mph with an overdrive.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #111
Bird Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
lost fan blade

Several years ago I was headed out on a 300 mile trip to get feed in my 1965 2 ton truck. When suddenly in the early morning dark the truck began to shake violently. I discovered that one blade of the 4 blade fan had broken off ,thankfully going straight down as there was no damage to anything else and the blade was not to be found. What do I do. I had neglected to put the tool box in so all I had was my pliers. Driving very slowly to avoid the violent shake in about 10 miles I came to a small town and a quick store where I purchased a small bundel of end wrenches. My logic was "race cars don't have fans I don't need one either" just keep moving, so I removed the broken fan and put the bolts back in to hold the fan pulley on. Sucess ,made the trip with no problem. In fact returned home and made another trip before replacing the fan. (those thing are expensive at the auto parts store)
Bird Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #112
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
If it's 4-bladed, they are positioned in opposition. Why not just break off the opposite fan blade?
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #113
Daryl_Stamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Carb diaphragms

Back in the day I used carb cleaner on the carb slides & before I new it I had some on the diaphragm. A friend told me to be sure not to get on on the rubber, so I tried to wipe it off w/ my finger. Big mistake; the rubber melted away to a leave a very faint woven mesh.

Replacements were WAY expensive.

I bonded a piece of latex condom (new, unlubed) to the affected area w/ the thinest contact cement I could find. Worked for about 2 months before it wore through (fumes I think); still didn't have any $ so I just kept replacing it w/ a fresh piece.

DLS
Old 03-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #114
mike25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycos
If it's 4-bladed, they are positioned in opposition. Why not just break off the opposite fan blade?

Or you could drive it through a large puddle, and take
them all off. (Triumph TR6)
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #115
Desert Yeti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Broke the lower shock mount off of my swing arm so I had to convert her to a "hard tail"

Rock and a few zip ties and she was rolling again...

05 KTM 300 MXC
07 KTM 950 SE-R
Desert Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #116
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,671
The exhaust system is likely the most “rigged” part of any vehicle. I once had a Geo Metro, being 6’9” people were always amazed I had one. “How do you fit in that thing”, was the typical question and my typical response was, “There’s lots of room it doesn’t have a dash or other fancy stuff like that to get in the way.”

…So once the exhaust pipe broke off before the muffler. It was missing a few feet so a little rummaging in the broom closet, tripped over the vacuum. Hmm that metal extension for that little hose thingy looked about the same size. It fit like a proverbial glove, a little coat hanger action to hold it up good to go. Drove like that for years then sold it with the pimped out exhaust with no extra charge.

Northwoods Yeti screwed with this post 04-01-2009 at 11:16 AM
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:56 PM   #117
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,623
On a Ford Pinto you have to take the head off to replace the camshaft unless you cut a hole in the bulkhead behind the ashtray and pull it out that way.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #118
TUCKERS
the famous james

A pair of womens nylon stockings or tights make a pretty good fan belt for a 65 mustang.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #119
TUCKERS
the famous james

If you run out of gas and don't have a can or hose pipe you can knock a hole in someones gas tank with an old screwdriver and a rock and collect gas in a hub cap.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #120
TUCKERS
the famous james

You can start your car with someones battery and give it back to them with your car running with no battery on it, just don't let the positive lead touch down.