ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
RedShark OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Barbers Vintage Festival

I see the big fall AHMRA meet is scheduled for Oct 9-12 this year and I'm thinking of making the pilgrimage:

(fly to Philly, pick up bike stashed there, ride South for a day or 2, see brother in Atlanta, hit the museum, watch some races, ride back to PA, stash bike with friends, fly home - you know: the usual)

So, any of you guys going ? Thinking of going ? Been before and have good advice or guidance for a guy that's never been ?

I know I'd probably be better off visiting the museum on a non-event week, but it's not likely I'll get there again anytime soon.

It sounded like a decent excuse for a road trip. Not that you need one...
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
I go every year. You'll have a blast!!!!!!!

There will be lots of people there but the museum is freaking huge, so you'll be ok.

Advice? Wear comfortable walking shoes......

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Will you be camping? If not, book a room now!

I was there 2 years ago, This Oct. I'll be out and about on a fall foliage run to the northeast, not sure if I'll get to Barber, depends......

Paul
Old 06-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Good advice. We stay at the HI Express in Pell City, 18 miles from the track exit. Don't wait, rooms go quickly....it's a certified Big Deal......

I don't like sand.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Oddometer: 401
I'll be riding down. My buddy's got a booth and shares it with a bunch of Cafe Racer punks. Really looking forward to it. We booked a hotel but if people back out the camping setup will be option #2.
Go Crutchlow #35
Go Hayden #69
Go Sykes #66
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,904
Rode down to Barber last week to see the Museum and the AMA races. Hotter than hell . Museum is great but I question why some of the bikes in there are on display.Kinda seems like they're trying to have one of every model made.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,603
I was there last weekend and stayed in Trussville at the Comfort Suites. I was glad to be at Barber during the races as, the museum bikes, all start looking the same.

It sure was hot and the museum provided a welcome relief. It shouldn't be too hot in October, though and I would imagine camping at Barber during the Vintage Festival would be a lot of fun. There's a Bass Pro shop just around the corner, if you need supplies.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLePain View Post
I was there last weekend and stayed in Trussville at the Comfort Suites. I was glad to be at Barber during the races as, the museum bikes, all start looking the same.

It sure was hot and the museum provided a welcome relief. It shouldn't be too hot in October, though and I would imagine camping at Barber during the Vintage Festival would be a lot of fun. There's a Bass Pro shop just around the corner, if you need supplies.

nlp
Bass Pro Shop near a large moto event? Man, that's an ADVer's wet dream.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:52 AM   #9
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
Bass Pro Shop near a large moto event? Man, that's an ADVer's wet dream.

I met a guy last weekend at the SuperBike races that said the owner of Bass Pro and Mr. Barber are good friends. And you're right, having them close together is pretty cool. And 30 minutes to the east on I20 is the International Motorsports Hall of Fame at the NASCAR track near Talladega!

I don't like sand.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:10 AM   #10
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
If one wanted to stay up there in a 5th wheel for the festival, where would he stay?
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:31 AM   #11
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post
If one wanted to stay up there in a 5th wheel for the festival, where would he stay?
There is boondocking space available at the track and the price is not bad. I've thought about doing that myself, but we usually ride the bikes up. There are several RV parks w/in a reasonable driving distance of the track.

I don't like sand.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:16 AM   #12
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Shit, looks like I gotta finally break down and get a generator.
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,746
A bunch of us from NC go every year and stay in Lot C. We usually have a couple campers, and a bunch of tents and stay in the very back far right corner area. Come by and say hi!
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 472
I have Swap Meet Space H-30 every year (9 years now)......and only missed the Inaugural Event 10 years ago. I have heard the Swap Meet has been expanded by 1 or 2 more Aisles, and is now up to 800 or so spaces......Kool!! Last year, the attendance was estimated at 60,000 for the weekend.......good and bad. Alittle advice: get to the Park before 8-9AM, or you might be sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour or two......not fun if warm that day and you are in yer gear. The event is almost to the point of getting too big for its britches.......people-wise. Use the Free Tram System to move around the perimeter of the track.....or, as one said, bring yer sneakers and just hoof-it. No pets allowed......all vehicles on the perimeter access road must be licensed (tag) and rider wearing a helmet. No golf carts unless you rent one of Barber's carts. The Alabama weather in mid-October is typically near perfect.....maybe a tad too warm during the day for some folks, but cool at night......with some years seeing the nightime temps dip down into the 40's. Rain has been rare the last 9 years during the event........no jinx intended. If you are Motel/Hotel'ing it, check out the Highway 280 corridor just SE of B'ham......Riverchase, Inverness, Cahaba Heights, Colonade Areas.......and take highway 119 to Rex Lake Road for the back-door entrance to the park (instead of I-459/I-20).....20-30 minutes.

This thread will get lots more attention as October approaches.......check in often!!
mark444 (Moto-Kafe)
Old 07-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
warriorcole
n00b sch00b

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Kafe View Post
I have Swap Meet Space H-30 every year (9 years now)......and only missed the Inaugural Event 10 years ago. I have heard the Swap Meet has been expanded by 1 or 2 more Aisles, and is now up to 800 or so spaces......Kool!! Last year, the attendance was estimated at 60,000 for the weekend.......good and bad. Alittle advice: get to the Park before 8-9AM, or you might be sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour or two......not fun if warm that day and you are in yer gear. The event is almost to the point of getting too big for its britches.......people-wise. Use the Free Tram System to move around the perimeter of the track.....or, as one said, bring yer sneakers and just hoof-it. No pets allowed......all vehicles on the perimeter access road must be licensed (tag) and rider wearing a helmet. No golf carts unless you rent one of Barber's carts. The Alabama weather in mid-October is typically near perfect.....maybe a tad too warm during the day for some folks, but cool at night......with some years seeing the nightime temps dip down into the 40's. Rain has been rare the last 9 years during the event........no jinx intended. If you are Motel/Hotel'ing it, check out the Highway 280 corridor just SE of B'ham......Riverchase, Inverness, Cahaba Heights, Colonade Areas.......and take highway 119 to Rex Lake Road for the back-door entrance to the park (instead of I-459/I-20).....20-30 minutes.

This thread will get lots more attention as October approaches.......check in often!!
mark444 (Moto-Kafe)
Check me out on tent space thread and map. I am less than a mile away and have plenty of tent space. If I am in town that weekend, the party will be on.
warriorcole is offline   Reply With Quote