ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #76
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,753
Where is this Belmont place of which you speak? I loves me some BBQ. If I know where it is I might just show up. With the crap ass weather I have been spending mucho time in the garage getting the SE sorted out. Allmost got her where she needs to be.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #77
pilotfish
subnewbie

Oddometer: 105
From Avon Street, just south of the rr tracks downtown, head east on Hinton Ave. You'll go up and over a hill. Just at the bottom of the hill, it's on the right as you enter "downtown Belmont."
Old 11-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #78
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotfish
Anybody have any suggestions about where to find used bikes around here? I have plenty of time to look, since we need to replace our stolen car first, but I'm just curious. *If* I can afford anything, it'll have to be used, not-too-recent, and probably in need of repairs. But waiting around for something to turn up on Craigslist is pretty slow....
Don't know what you're looking for, but a good friend of mine just put his SV650 up on Craigslist ... it's got Ohlins, RaceTech'd forks, maintenance history, good rubber, very clean, etc.

Stolen car?

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #79
Jack90210
mindful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie76
Missed you guys this time. I'm defendig my PhD next Friday so I'm kind of burried right now. But I'll be there next time (assuming it is after next friday).

Shawn R.
Good luck. What department?

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Old 11-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #80
pilotfish
subnewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
Don't know what you're looking for, but a good friend of mine just put his SV650 up on Craigslist ... it's got Ohlins, RaceTech'd forks, maintenance history, good rubber, very clean, etc.
Very nice, but a bit more than I was looking for. Think more like a rusty Trail 70 with serious cosmetic issues.

Quote:
Stolen car?
Yeah--last Monday night, I parked the car in the driveway at 10pm. At 8 the next morning, my wife went out to go to work, came back in, and said, "Dude, where's our car?!?" No sign of it. Turns out the kid's bike is missing too. So far, no news about either of them. Nobody in our neighborhood (or the cop who took the report) can believe this happened.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #81
The Dude Himself
Hooked on Dirt!!

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotfish
Yeah--last Monday night, I parked the car in the driveway at 10pm. At 8 the next morning, my wife went out to go to work, came back in, and said, "Dude, where's our car?!?" No sign of it. Turns out the kid's bike is missing too. So far, no news about either of them. Nobody in our neighborhood (or the cop who took the report) can believe this happened.
Happened to me once. Found it down the street, in the neighbors yard. Parking brake catch gave way, it nearly made a new entrance to this dude's basement.

Hope it turns up, or doesn't. The insurance doesn't cover the whole loss, but likely works out better if the car isn't found. When it is, it's usually got some damage that won't be repaired unless it's out of your pocket.
The Dude Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #82
pilotfish
subnewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Himself
Happened to me once. Found it down the street, in the neighbors yard. Parking brake catch gave way, it nearly made a new entrance to this dude's basement.
That was my first thought--but there was no sign of damage to the car across the street, and none of the towing places has it. Plus I was sleeping in the room next to the driveway, and never heard anything.

Quote:
Hope it turns up, or doesn't. The insurance doesn't cover the whole loss, but likely works out better if the car isn't found. When it is, it's usually got some damage that won't be repaired unless it's out of your pocket.
I think we have decent repair coverage. And we'd get almost the whole value for a replacement, but the value's not much on a 1996 Saturn with 100,000 miles.

It was purple, in case anybody sees one...

Quote:
That was my exact reaction when I realized the kid's bike was gone.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #83
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,925
Sorry to hear about your car and child's bike. Once had the American Flag stolen from outside my house when I was a kid. Dad chased the bastards down the street in his underwear.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #84
gasgaseffinfast OP
Ahh, f*ck it.

Oddometer: 812
I'm up here visiting Long Island, the World Center of Teenage Vandalism. Can't tell you guys how many times my parents have had to chase kids down the block who were dragging my Mother's Christmas, Halloween or Easter displays behind them. We've never had anything as big as a car theft, but if you leave something of value visible in your backyard, chances are it will end up missing eventually. Hell, my neighbors left the sunroof on their car open, and the next morning opened the door to find that someone had perched up there and dropped a turd on the gearshift....bless their little hearts.

Serious bummer about your car and the kid's bicycle, Pilot - anything turn up yet?
gasgaseffinfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #85
gasgaseffinfast OP
Ahh, f*ck it.

I'm headed to Charleston SC with the GF to spend Thanksgiving with her folks - just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to the local inmates and your families. It's been great getting to know new people and riding new roads - thanks guys! Hope everyone doesn't eat too much, we need to leave room for another Belmont BBQ visit soon...
Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 AM   #86
HBN
is car free

Word, I need to take a vacation lunch to get over the mountain but I want to meet you guys at Belmont soon. Have a safe trip. Bet you're loving the $1.65 gas.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #87
Jack90210
mindful

This week is, needless to say, bad for me too. Travel safe.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:51 AM   #88
The Dude Himself
Hooked on Dirt!!

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
This week is, needless to say, bad for me too. Travel safe.
How's it goin' Jack?
The Dude Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #89
HBN
is car free

Richmond to Mountains Ride Sunday?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412391

Anyone else seen this? Not sure their destination but its usually Crab Tree Falls Hwy.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:51 AM   #90
gasgaseffinfast OP
Ahh, f*ck it.

any of the local inmates feel like meeting for a little Holiday BBQ this week? I'm thinking a Wednesday or Thursday lunch (or dinner, don't matter) I think Hardy's in - Flash? FoxedUP? Melton?

Either Belmont of maybe Jinx's - I keep missing these Hburg rides, hope some of you guys can make it over this way for a little chow..

http://www.jinxsbarbecue.com/

http://www.belmontbbq.com/