User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
pmc123 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Wicked New bike ideas?

Hope this isn't the wrong place to ask... Maybe you fine folks might have some ideas for me for what bike to get next.

I've been searching for a bike to replace my 2002 Ducati M900.

I mainly ride around the city I live in (sf). Sometimes on weekends I'll tackle the twisties and mountain roads we have around here... but not too aggressively.

Things I like about my ducati: looks nice, handles nice, beautiful sound, nice power despite its size, besides quirks and eating batteries it has been fairly reliable

Thinks I don't like: clutch gives me carpal tunnel (despite an upgraded slave), riding with a passenger (even a 110lb woman) is a serious struggle, no hope for secure baggage, wheezes out on the highway, first gear is too tall for the city (despite changing the sprocket ratios)... which makes the clutch situation worse.

I rented a 2014 R1200GS last weekend thinking this would be The One, but I it just didn't move me... it felt more competent than fun. Underwhelming and not youthful feeling.

Rented a Fatboy harley - loved the quality of the switch gear, the sound it makes starting up, the stock-pipe sound, the low-speed handling was great for such a bike bike, the way the starter sounds (weird, I know, but it is so cool), nice pull, was fun in the city, but man I was dragging parts turning corners even in the city. And the hunched over cruiser riding position is just awful. The closest I came to feeling an unhesitant "OMG - I WANT THIS BIKE"... I just knew I'd be sick of the riding position and metal grinding, though

Rented some hard-bagged harley (electraglide?) - better riding position, nice doodads, but it was just too damn heavy. And the engine felt like it was going to shake itself apart, esp in stop-and-go traffic where I could split lanes because the damn thing was so wide. Why couldn't they put the engine balancer in that bike, too? (and maybe make the frame out of titanium or aluminum... yeah)

Owned a KLR650 ... that was pretty fun in the city, but scary/wheezy on the highway... I think I want something more substantial.

Owned a BMW R1100RS - nice motor, but the riding position was annoying. I don't think I like sport-touring positions that much. Got rid of it after a couple of months.

Tried various things at previous year's motorcycle show - Fz8, R1, Vrod, VMAX, various japanese cruisers, super tenere, every other new harley you can imagine.

So... Have I overlooked anything? I've read that the old harley FXR models have great handling... not sure I want something that old with carbs... I would much rather be riding than tinkering...

I guess what I'm looking for is something that is fun in the city and on the twisties, comfortable (i.e. upright) riding position, luggage-capable, modern amenities like FI and ABS, and finally something with character - either a sweet sounding engine or some other intangible that makes a rider feel good.

Does my dream bike exist?
pmc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,334
You need an XR1200X my friend.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
pmc123 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
You need an XR1200X my friend.
lucky for me the motorcycle show is next weekend here, so I will give that a spin. Thanks!
pmc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:14 AM   #4
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc123 View Post
lucky for me the motorcycle show is next weekend here, so I will give that a spin. Thanks!
The motorcycle show won't be any help; they stopped production a couple of years ago. You should be able to find a used one though.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:25 AM   #5
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,614
Star Bolt C-spec.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 226
Triumph street triple / speed triple
Monster 1200 / 821
Super duke 1290
Z1000
CB1100
CB1000R
FZ9 / FZ7
Bonneville
Bandit 1250
GSX 750

Pretty much any naked roadster ought to be able to accommodate your needs. I think you will find riding position and ground clearance issues on most cruiser bikes.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
kickstandsup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
Monster 1200 / 821
Super duke 1290
Z1000
CB1100
CB1000R
FZ9 / FZ7
Bonneville
Bandit 1250
GSX 750

Pretty much any naked roadster ought to be able to accommodate your needs. I think you will find riding position and ground clearance issues on most cruiser bikes.
This is a good list…I'd add the new BMW R1200R and the F800GT to the list, especially if you want to travel.

Good luck with your search!
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,227
I think you should wait for the FJ-09. If that isn't your cup of tea, perhaps the Suzuki DL1000 or the new Kawasaki Versys 1000. All should have plenty of power for the freeway, even with a 110 lb passenger AND luggage. They are all upright with comfy ergos, and if you leave the panniers at home, plenty narrow for lane splitting. You will not be dragging hard parts in town, either.

Also there is a pretty good chance that Honda may bring the Crossrunner state side for 2015, and that may be a pretty good choice as well.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
Rotoride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
There is hope! Go check out Moto Guzzis.

The breva 1100 sounds like it's right up your alley. Soulful motor with tons of torque, dead simple to work on, shaft drive, upright riding position, built-in luggage attachment points and a huge comfy seat that has been named the best seat ever put on a bike by a lot of people. Stock Brembo brakes with good feel and tons of power.

Despite being a big heavy bike, I took it to some of the steepest hills in the seattle area the first time I ever rode it. Not because I wanted to see if it could handle them, but because I just knew it wouldnt be an issue. I even had to stop quickly at the top of one because a car was coming the other way and was going to cut me off. No problem! At low speeds it's more manageable than any bike that big has any right to be.

The engine just oozes of character. Air cooled 90 degree Vtwin. low speed fuelling makes it super easy to ride slow, but once you hit 4k rpm it really wakes up and makes you grin. Gearbox is super smooth. Working on the engine is cake too, it's a pushrod engine and valve adjustments take 30 minutes if you know what you're doing (beer time included) There's pretty much nothing you can't do yourself and the engines last forever.

Cons:
  1. Moto guzzis are built for shorter riders, if you're tall you'll be cramped for leg room
  2. The front springs are crap, they need to be replaced with something progressive
  3. The breva is no longer being imported, so you'll have to buy used or switch to the Norge to get the same thing. They still make the bike but for some reason they never imported the newer one with ABS and the 8v engine. Probably because it would cut in on the sales of the Griso (check that one out too)
  4. There is no ABS. The euro spec bike has ABS, but for some reason they left it off the US version. Apparently we don't need abs on a naked bike. The Griso has no abs either, but the Norge does.
  5. Dealer network is spotty. Parts are easy to get but you might be ok in SF.

There is a great one for sale right here: http://www.mgnoc.com/classifieds.html You'll have to scroll down a bit but there she is. That price is more than fair.

Rotoride screwed with this post 10-28-2014 at 07:39 AM
Rotoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Oddometer: 184
Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 -

EFI, ABS, upright riding position (think dirt bike) big wide handlebars so you can muscle it around. Luggage available (I would hate to see what Aprilia charges for this), about 8 inches of suspension travel for when you want to ride over a curb, hit a pothole, etc. Loads of power, but light enough to really throw around, and an engine that sounds like angles f***ing. The bad, no wind protection (not a big deal for me, but I wouldn't want to ride it across country or anything), and you probably have the only one around, so when you do hooligan s**t, everyone knows who did it, and gas milage could be better. Try one out, I love it.
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Oddometer: 722
Uh, no brainer, Ninja 1000?

Crutchlow #35, Hayden #69, Sykes #66, Herrin #2

Go Edwards # 5
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Did you look at the Harley Switchback? I haven't ridden one. Considerably lighter than my Road King. They feel comfortable sitting on them in the showroom.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
Nice bikes on that list. No ABS option on FZ9 / FZ7 and Bonneville, unfortunately. And I bet the Bonnie would be a real dog if the OP's Duc isn't powerful enough.

The OP liked Harleys, but wants more lean angle. Some of the Victory line, F6B, & Guzzi California would do that, while being a little lighter than a full dress HD, and still be a treat for 2-up.

FJR
Tiger 1050 triple
R1200R (as suggested above) sounds possible (though the OP didn't like R1200GS, so...?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
Monster 1200 / 821
Super duke 1290
Z1000
CB1100
CB1000R
FZ9 / FZ7
Bonneville
Bandit 1250
GSX 750

Old 10-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,536
Didn't read the requirements.

Just buy a Vstrom. Everyone loves them.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
domingo3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Puke

+1 This is what I was thinking. Try to ride the FZ09 at the IMS. If you like the engine, wait for the FJ-09 for more secure bags and comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I think you should wait for the FJ-09. If that isn't your cup of tea, perhaps the Suzuki DL1000 or the new Kawasaki Versys 1000. All should have plenty of power for the freeway, even with a 110 lb passenger AND luggage. They are all upright with comfy ergos, and if you leave the panniers at home, plenty narrow for lane splitting. You will not be dragging hard parts in town, either.

Also there is a pretty good chance that Honda may bring the Crossrunner state side for 2015, and that may be a pretty good choice as well.
P.S. If you don't BARF, you should.

domingo3 screwed with this post 10-28-2014 at 06:07 PM
domingo3 is offline   Reply With Quote