Old 02-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Insight on Honda NT700 & CTX 700

My 75-year old pal Ted is looking at these two Hondas:

photo A503C8D8-55A5-4B63-B362-D7FA976D4C3D_zpskqszbnjh.jpg

photo ADDC1360-760D-4996-80BA-6C318659668C_zpsotulbmp0.jpg

He's finally letting his trusty ST1300 go as it's getting a bit too heavy for him (after 112k miles).

He also asked me about the Suzuki 650 V-Strom as a cool dual sport bike he can take to South America.

Oh, to be retired and loving it. It sure would be cool if I could keep up with him!

Anyhow, any comments, suggestions or mockery from riders who've considered or done this type of swap?

Thanks in advance.

Rule 1: Never tell others everything you know.

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
lambotte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I've owned both of those bikes. Had the NT 700 ABS first. Luggage was small in volume but nicely integrated. Found the bike a little top heavy and didn't like lifting my leg over the elevated pillion. Power was just adequate and was suprisingly pretty vibey. I have the naked version of the CTX700 with the DCT. Its a much better handling bike, much better torque/acceleration and that DCT is great. It is a cruiser as far as foot position and that may be a deal breaker for your friend coming from an ST. The lower weight and very low COG combined with low seat height will make this bike much easier to manage. I wish I'd have bought the model with the fairing because I'd like to tour with this bike.

Kevin

Honda CB 1100
Honda CTX 700
lambotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambotte View Post
I've owned both of those bikes. Had the NT 700 ABS first. Luggage was small in volume but nicely integrated. Found the bike a little top heavy and didn't like lifting my leg over the elevated pillion. Power was just adequate and was suprisingly pretty vibey. I have the naked version of the CTX700 with the DCT. Its a much better handling bike, much better torque/acceleration and that DCT is great. It is a cruiser as far as foot position and that may be a deal breaker for your friend coming from an ST. The lower weight and very low COG combined with low seat height will make this bike much easier to manage. I wish I'd have bought the model with the fairing because I'd like to tour with this bike.

Kevin

Honda CB 1100
Honda CTX 700
Most excellent info, Kevin! Big thanks.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 2,157
Wee

He also asked me about the Suzuki 650 V-Strom as a cool dual sport bike he can take to South America.

Hello Sir,

The V-Strom is not a dual sport MC.

The post 2012+ model is where he needs to look into.

That was the 2nd gen.

However, it is top heavy also. But, it would be a good MC for the South America trip.

A good MC for him would be the NC700X. Very low center of gravity because the engine is so low on the frame (like the two MCs you have pics of??) and the fuel cell is under the seat. The suspension is not as stiff as the two Hondas you mentioned in your post.

Another is the CB500X. Like the NC, it is easy to move around in parking lots and such.

__
FWIW, I lived in City Heights for 2 years and peddled my Giant bike just over 4 miles to Balboa Park at the NMC San Diego.

I look forward to visting San Diego, OB, and SOCAL on an epic tour planned in this decade.

Take it easy.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 02-22-2015 at 06:05 PM
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,902
If I was planning a South America road trip . . . I would take my DL1K over the DL650 mainly because it handles crosswinds better out on the open road.

It will feel light in comparison to his ST1300. Yes, the 650 will do fine . . . However, the V2 is amazing:

Old 02-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #6
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Hello Sir,

The V-Strom is not a dual sport MC.
I informed Ted that the WeeStrom was a single sport adventure bike.

Excellent info.

Man, you must be a tough guy to have survived City Heights!

Old 02-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
If I was planning a South America road trip . . . I would take my DL1K over the DL650 mainly because it handles crosswinds better out on the open road.

It will feel light in comparison to his ST1300. Yes, the 650 will do fine . . . However, the V2 is amazing
I think he wants the Honda for local and US cruising and the V-Strom for a possible SA ride.

He really puts some miles on his bikes; he also has a Goldwing Trike.

I really appreciate the info you guys have provided. Just what he is looking for.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:30 AM   #8
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,902
The NT shaft drive is a nice feature if he rides long distance . . . Especially, in rainy conditions. The CTX feet forward is nice if you have hip issues . . . However, having your feet under you like the NC700X is nice when you hit some rough spots in the road etc.

The NC can handle luggage too . . . very well built:

Old 02-23-2015, 02:53 AM   #9
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
My 75-year old pal Ted is looking at these two Hondas:

He's finally letting his trusty ST1300 go as it's getting a bit too heavy for him (after 112k miles).

Oh, to be retired and loving it. It sure would be cool if I could keep up with him!

Anyhow, any comments, suggestions or mockery from riders who've considered or done this type of swap?

Thanks in advance.
My wife has the CTX, don't screw around, DCT or nothing.

It handles well, surprisingly quick for the cruiser config and the auto. A real joy to ride if you want to just enjoy the ride. You have to be prepared to hang off a long way to make it go fast in the twisties, but it will go fast in the twisties if you make the effort.

My bike is a DL 650, much more versatile, but it's a tall bike, the CTX is much easier to manage within it's limits, which is basically 'not too nasty sealed roads'. The CTX copes (just) with the backroads around here, but the lumpy bits do hurt on the CTX, the DL ignores them. The DL - well, avoid nasty single track, but if you could get an urban 4WD down the road, a DL will do it easily.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #10
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

KLR Milk Crate award for 2012

I was presented with the KLR Milk Crate award for frugality for living in City Heights. The Basic Housing Allowance for an E-4 was around $1,420 or something. San Diego is maybe in the top 5 most expensive places to live for a USA duty station or something.
So I just went to the poor side of town and collected $800 in savings after paying $695 in rent with about $6.00/month in utlities.

I was suprised by just how close it is to Balboa Park. Hell, North Park is just across the I-805.

The cost of living and housing/rentals diversity in San Diego is about wild.

In no time you are in a new place with a changed look and feel.

I worked out at Teralta Park (above the I-15 exit 5A) on the weekend and not once had any problems.

Take it easy.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
San Diego is maybe in the top 5 most expensive places to live for a USA duty station or something.
So I just went to the poor side of town and collected $800 in savings after paying $695 in rent with about $6.00/month in utlities.

I was suprised by just how close it is to Balboa Park. Hell, North Park is just across the I-805.

The cost of living and housing/rentals diversity in San Diego is about wild.
Good on you, man! I am a huge fan of San Diego. Ocean, mountains, desert, snow, Baja...we have it all, with millions of miles of riding at our doorstep.

I sometimes wonder how the military folks handle it, but when you're young and motivated, all things are possible.

Again, thanks for the info.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
vicmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post

Why get the DTX and the V-Strom when this will commute locally and go to South America with zero problems.
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 447
yes . the nc700x. girlfriend got hers new for $5500 out the door. wait for Honda to put them on sale again.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

2012 nc700x

The MC came out in 2012.

I would say that most of the owners have taken care of her and put on some logical mods.

The only bad thing for an ADV MC is the rear seat fuel cell. It is hard to get to with stuff on the back.

However, even I could come up with a sysytem to allow access to the rear gas tank in about 3 mics or so. That would be the price to pay for a low center of gravity MC with diesel like torque and Honda reliability.

The Wee does have better suspension and a 19" front tyre, but it makes the NC seem like it weights maybe 430lbs or so. Just a guess. I have never ridden the NC.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #15
scottoftheantipodes
I'm no Hipster

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
Good on you, man! I am a huge fan of San Diego. Ocean, mountains, desert, snow, Baja...we have it all, with millions of miles of riding at our doorstep.

I sometimes wonder how the military folks handle it, but when you're young and motivated, all things are possible.

Again, thanks for the info.
Dan,

I am intrigued by your rules for being successful in life.

I only see the first rule and not the second, or would that be giving away everything you know.
scottoftheantipodes is offline   Reply With Quote