User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #1486
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Damper still available

Sorry guys, I did not see the post and pm from HP telling me he can't buy it. The damper is still available and if Justin does not claim the screen that may be available as well. PM me if interested.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #1487
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Oddometer: 627
PM Sent
08 MegaMoto #99529 For sale. PM for details.
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #1488
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Are the HP2's wheels painted or powdercoated? How do they hold up to the usage / abuse? Pitting?

Thanks
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #1489
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecat
Are the HP2's wheels painted or powdercoated? How do they hold up to the usage / abuse? Pitting?

Thanks
I have almost 10k miles on mine and I havent seen any signs of pitting or anything.

On another note... 100 pages of Megamoto!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #1490
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Blue wheels

Mine has 12K miles and it garaged and is not ridden in shitty weather (although the weather here is pretty mild). The only noticable "wear" I have on my bike is on the frame where my right boot touches above the peg. It just wore out a "clear plastic film" that the factory applied to protect the frame. I have since bought the black Wunderluch frame protectors which work really well. The bike is the cream of BMW Motorrad and very special :)
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #1491
Megathumper
+

Oddometer: 837
Megamoto off tarmac..

Mildly farkled HP2 to tackle a bit of dirt...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628131
Megathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #1492
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megathumper

Mildly farkled HP2 to tackle a bit of dirt...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628131
Nice setup. ¿which rack are you using? ¿holan?
I understood the HP2enduro set did not fit on the MM due to the big Akra on this one......

cheers
Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #1493
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
The Touratech fits with a slight mod to the exhaust. Very simple. However, I found the added weight of both cases and the rack to ruin the handling of the MM. A stiffer rear spring is needed.
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #1494
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Thats a sweet set up. I like to use soft bags (smallish ones) in the back, lay a duffle across them, and a large tank bag up front. Either way, I really like that set up. How are those tires??? Im really curious because they may be my next set for next years ride.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #1495
Megathumper
+

Thumb Holan - re-worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
Nice setup. ¿which rack are you using? ¿holan?
I understood the HP2enduro set did not fit on the MM due to the big Akra on this one......

cheers
Yes Holan, and yes you are right, they do not fit. I spoke to Alexsandra at Holan and got the racks shipped to me over 18 months ago in bare steel knowing we had work to do. Only got around to doing the work recently.

We made them fit after custom welding and reshaping frames and making new pickup points like the TT racks. In the process took about 15cm out of the width making it a bit more managable. We also angled the cases in and down at the front a little bit.

The original exhaust makes things very difficult. We ended up moving the exhaust so that it "hung" inside the original pick up point. You have to bend slightly the bracket on the exhaust to be able to do that. This took about 20mm out of the width. You cannot move the exhaust can down as it will touch the side stand and affect the switch.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #1496
Megathumper
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin
Thats a sweet set up. I like to use soft bags (smallish ones) in the back, lay a duffle across them, and a large tank bag up front. Either way, I really like that set up. How are those tires??? Im really curious because they may be my next set for next years ride.
Tires are much better than I thought they would be, they are Avon Distanza's.

At first I found that the front turn in was very quick, it kind of pulled the bike in as you turned in.... if that makes sense...

The are very good in the wet and excellent on dirt. However, there is not much else to choose from

I usually have Mich Power 2's on it, but I have to say for the sort of roads we have, in the condition they are in, there would only be very limited occasions the Distanza's would not be more than adequate.

I also added a oil cooler guard (homemade) and a set of Holan HP2 Enduro crash bars. These will not fit either without modification to the oil cooler location. It needs to be lifted up so that the oil lines do not rub/touch the cross bar.

Also added a local aircleaner and pre cleaner protector, a South African Birdman sump guard, TT fork protectors, screen, hand guards etc...

When I first got this bike the plan was to use it for a year or two, sell it and buy a GSA or GSA Adv. But every time I went to convince myself to do that I just couldn't get over the size and the weight of those bikes, even though I had been comfortable with them before.

So a plan was hatched, I now sort of have the best of both worlds. I can get this back to full blat mode in an evening and the local bike shop swaps/refits my tyres for $20 each.

It clearly has a couple of limitations:

1. fuel range (although I can usually get 250km's a tank doing a dirt/back rode tarmac mix)

2. Front wheel size I am told... doesn't seem to bother me that much yet.

3. High first gear I am told.... I adjust that using the clutch

The best things are that I already have it, it is light, and it goes like stink when you need to
Old 10-13-2010, 01:27 AM   #1497
Joe Bar OP
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megathumper
Tires are much better than I thought they would be, they are Avon Distanza's.

At first I found that the front turn in was very quick, it kind of pulled the bike in as you turned in.... if that makes sense...

The are very good in the wet and excellent on dirt. However, there is not much else to choose from
I've had the Distanzia's before on a previous DS bike, and know what you mean about the turn in. A friend tried them and removed them within a 100 miles, he just didn't like the feel.

I'm about ready for a new set of tyres and have been considering these - http://www.pirelli.co.uk/web/catalog...ONSYNC_HYP.xml

I currently have them on my Guzzi Griso 8V SE as a factory fit and have been quite impressed. Not the outright grip of the Michelin Power's obviously, but a nice feel and hopefully better mileage.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #1498
Megathumper
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar
I've had the Distanzia's before on a previous DS bike, and know what you mean about the turn in. A friend tried them and removed them within a 100 miles, he just didn't like the feel.

I'm about ready for a new set of tyres and have been considering these pirellis
I did find them quite weird at first but I gotta say I quite like them now

I have a love hate affair with Pirelli. I have just recently had 2 Pirelli Scorpion failures on my 4WD and at nearly $600 each it gives me the shits. Of course the tyre shop say, you must have done something, its not a tyre problem.... interesting that because in nearly 40 yrs of driving I have never had a tyre fail before. Gone back to Michelin Diamaris instead...
Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #1499
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,152
thank you Megathumper, I like the way you are going with the MM

¿which measure has that rear Avon distanzia? ¿160?

I see too much work on these racks, i couldn´t do it myself. However, i ve seen someone on this forum with TT cases on the megamoto, and he did not mention too much work on the racks....I´ll try to find the post.

cheers
Old 10-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #1500
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Its been great exchanging advice with you guys. The MM is officially gone. yes I will miss her but I'm also having alot of fun on the S1000RR. I'll still keep an eye this thread though!!!!!!
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote