Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #1756
Ray R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
Well after 2 1/2 years of fun and frolics on the Megamoto, the new owner rode away on it this afternoon. Time for a change.
Take care of yourself, have fun on that Guzzi, and don't be a stranger!

I think this thread just died a little.

Ray R screwed with this post 02-26-2011 at 01:58 PM
Ray R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #1757
HPSaucy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Uneven tire wear...

This is a little puzzel I'm trying to figure out, why would my front tire be way more worn on one side than the other? Can you think of something that could be amiss in the steering geometry to cause this?
www.HP2.info
HPSaucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #1758
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
One possible cause, taken from http://www.whybike.com/motorcycle83.htm

quote:" 2. Humped Roads -- Most roads are "humped" slightly in the middle or banked away from the center to allow rain and water to drain off. However, this hump can have a dramatic effect on one side of your motorcycle's front tire because the side of the tire closer to the center of the road will wear faster. There's not much you can do about this, and it can become very visible if you ride a lot. So be aware of this phenomenon and check the left side of your front tire often."
Macroenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #1759
szazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Tire Wear

HP, here is another interesting site. http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

I also ride road bikes and expereince the same tire wear issues that I do on my motorcycles, just a little different due to the size/width difference. I do not agree with what he says on the site from my bike experiences. Road crown definetly has something to do with it. Also almost everybody on a motorcycle that rides the twisties will usually see more wear on the left side due to left turns having more visibility on the road ahead and thus more speed. A lot of right turns are blind or less visibility and we (I ) ride them with more caution. IMHO.
szazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:20 AM   #1760
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
I always have more wear on the left sides. This is simply because I ride the left hand corners harder. Probably a psychological thing as I find it more scary to end up in an oncoming car than in the woods.

I ran a set of BT016's and the front was completely bald on the left front after less than 2000 kms. None of the other tires I've used have been that bad.
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #1761
HPSaucy
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys!!

Great answers and links, and of course it is the left side of my front that has worn completely away exactly as shown in the pictures in the links. I was worried that maybe something somewhere was out of true, but since this is completely normal I feel much better about it.

Milcelin Pilot Power - front 2000 miles (rear was replaced after just 1500 miles)
Attached Images

www.HP2.info
Old 02-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #1762
CREEP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
to my knowledge it has to do with the boxer engine's
all bmw motorcycles with boxer engines have uneven tyre wear if driven fast
i can not explain it in englisch but i'm sure someone here knows how to
CREEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #1763
rocketron
Megamoto/990 SMR

Oddometer: 27
Front tyre wear

Sorry Chaps,

I have to disagree, if you ride on the "right" side of the road, , which to me and most other colonials is on the left then the most wear will be on the right hand side of the tyre (please note not tire )
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #1764
HPSaucy
Gnarly Adventurer

Did you read this link - http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html - I think he has the answer, makes perfect sense to me, but I have to say I never remember wearing my front tire so unevenly before, kind of amazed I just discovered this after all these years!
www.HP2.info
Old 03-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #1765
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Sorry, I don't believe a word of it. I have only once experienced increased tyre wear on one side of a front tyre. and that was because my commute involved a particularly nice left hand fast turn. So in the uk I had increased tyre wear on the left. If you don't ride a regular route you will have even wear. I believe some tyres produced have strange effects to wear by way of a manufacture vagary. I would bet most people who experience this problem have a favourite route or commute.
Types of tarmac in different countries also play a huge part in overall tyre wear, In Portugal I did over 4000 miles on my Michelin PP standard tyres and they had loads of wear left, but the tarmac here unless new is pretty slick and quite frankly dangerous, I have ridden in just about every european country and this is the least grippy tarmac anywhere.
This is all just my humble opinion.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #1766
rocketron
Megamoto/990 SMR

Oddometer: 27
Types of tarmac in different countries also play a huge part in overall tyre wear, In Portugal I did over 4000 miles on my Michelin PP standard tyres and they had loads of wear left, but the tarmac here unless new is pretty slick and quite frankly dangerous, I have ridden in just about every european country and this is the least grippy tarmac anywhere.
This is all just my humble opinion.[/QUOTE]

Grip from a road surface depends on a great number of factors including whether its wet or dry, age of the surface, how much traffic it has carried (especially trucks), texture of the surface, surfacing material design,
polishing and wear characteristics of the aggregate used in the surfacing material, road geometry, whether its in a de-acceleration or acceleration zone, season of the year (less grip in summer, more grip in winter) etc etc etc. All of these factors affect grip or skidding resistance and presumably could also affect the wear of tyres.
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #1767
air-cooled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
logic but hard to believe

i read the article about the uneven tyre wear and it makes some sense. But to be honest, i expect the tyre wear as shown in the picture not slightly left of the middle. i can only imagine that mileage on the front tyre with that wear when you do hard braking while turning left instead of taking left corners fast.
for fast cornering the wear is way to far to the middle, more like understeering when starting the turn.
seen you riding on your video on a nice road with a winding line, and offcourse this video is possibly not representing your driving style, but considering it could be, 2000 miles ain't much for a front tyre showing that kind of wear.
i mean, your driving looked smooth, normal speed for a motorcycle on a public road. considering al this, for me this wear looks not okay. you could try pilot road 2/3 for better mileage and still good cornering. but i should also check if everything is fine, like pressure and bike set up.

i will ck mine tyre mileage.
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #1768
air-cooled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
first report

the first km's are done, some commuting with a bit highway, some winding tracks and some turns going on and off the highway, with temperatures just above 0 degrees and a cold northerly wind but dry wheather and roads and these km's already give me a good idea what to expect.
before i started of,i meassured all settings, like sag and settings of the suspension, and though the previous owner only did 1500km in 2 years and never touched the bike to change anything, the left and the right on the front had different settings. reset all to standard and gave the tyres the correct pressure.
at the back, only the sag is just a bit to much and will be corrected with a bit more compression of the rear spring.
real good suspension, following the roads imparity very easily. cornering feels really easy, looking where to go is sufficient to point the bike in the correct direction and this is still with a bit to much sag at the rear. because of the temperature i had to take it slow, but it still feels easy and secure to go a bit faster then slow.
so i read about the mileage of the 13 liters tank, rote eddy doing more then 220km on a day and because commuting isn't racing and riding was carefully, i expected to do at least 200km this first 2 days. well surprise surprise, i did 167 km's with still 10 to go before it was empty according to the gauge. it made me laughter, what will happen when i speed it up?
i and the bike will be friends for sure.
first trackday is half april, then i will know how that is going.
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #1769
Megathumper
+

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by air-cooled View Post
the first km's are done, some commuting with a bit highway, some winding tracks and some turns going on and off the highway, with temperatures just above 0 degrees and a cold northerly wind but dry wheather and roads and these km's already give me a good idea what to expect.
before i started of,i meassured all settings, like sag and settings of the suspension, and though the previous owner only did 1500km in 2 years and never touched the bike to change anything, the left and the right on the front had different settings. reset all to standard and gave the tyres the correct pressure.
at the back, only the sag is just a bit to much and will be corrected with a bit more compression of the rear spring.
real good suspension, following the roads imparity very easily. cornering feels really easy, looking where to go is sufficient to point the bike in the correct direction and this is still with a bit to much sag at the rear. because of the temperature i had to take it slow, but it still feels easy and secure to go a bit faster then slow.
so i read about the mileage of the 13 liters tank, rote eddy doing more then 220km on a day and because commuting isn't racing and riding was carefully, i expected to do at least 200km this first 2 days. well surprise surprise, i did 167 km's with still 10 to go before it was empty according to the gauge. it made me laughter, what will happen when i speed it up?
i and the bike will be friends for sure.
first trackday is half april, then i will know how that is going.
Has the filler neck in your tank been drilled out?

When I ride with my son, and we are on a mixture of back roads, poor surface, gravel and some dirt roads, and if I ride like it was a Sunday, and I was in a Volvo, driving with a hat on, I can get nearly 300kms to the tank
Megathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #1770
HPSaucy
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, thats 200 miles a tank full, or 72mpg US, which is somewhere between amazing and impossible!

I've never bettered 45mpg (US gals). It seems running the tank deep into the single digits left I can get 2.85 gals in with the neck drilled, and usually that takes me about 115 miles, or 40mpg. When I'm just out enjoying the countryside I don't drive that fast either, normally keeking the revs between 3-5, so I'm amazed you're almost getting twice the distance on a tank!

(I have the much higher RT final drive, so at 70 I'm chuffing along at just 3,478 rpm, almost 1,000 rpm below stock 6th.)
www.HP2.info