Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #2311
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroenie View Post
too bad there aren´t that many of us out there, it could make the thread a little more alive.
Makes me also a little bit afraid of spare-part availability so I´m trying not to crash it
Actually the best time to crash one is NOW when there are still spares for the bike
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #2312
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
too bad there aren´t that many of us out there, it could make the thread a little more alive.
Makes me also a little bit afraid of spare-part availability so I´m trying not to crash it

Bought a gopro hero2 the other day and have been filming two rides but they are not very exciting when I look at it on the computer screen. During one ride I did manage to ´wheely´ out of a corner but when looked back on-screen it is hardly noticeable also because the view of the gopro was to high up. Probably has something to do with perception from the handlebars when I think the bike rises alot it is just maybe one feet in real life. So the other day I put the gopro on a stand and made some attempts, again it shows these are just some sorry attempts of a wheely, never going higher than one feet, guess I´m to scared to let it rise higher

I´ll try to make something out of it, maybe add some fake explosions or do that trick that was shown in the movie Fight Club to make it worth viewing for you guys.
I've never wheelied my MegaMoto. That's what my YZ 250 is for...
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #2313
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
here is the promised explosion

here are my sorry attempts

disclaimer: filmed on a open road, 'stunts' performed by a non-professional rider, do attempt this at home/local road

Macroenie screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 06:19 AM
Macroenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #2314
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Chris Pfeiffer better watch out!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #2315
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin View Post
I've never wheelied my MegaMoto. That's what my YZ 250 is for...
The extra 5 inches in the swingarm really tames the wheelies but the rev limiter often comes in at just the wrong time too, causing a very heavy landing.

Everything happens a bit quick in first: second and third give better control. It also helps if you're a fat/large/heavy bastard so the turning moment of accelerating your weight causes the bike to rotate around the back axle.

Also, beware of oil starvation, blown seals and throwing oil onto your air filter and into the inlet tract -- apart from gravel rash -- with prolonged wheelies.

Ron50 screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 07:17 PM
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #2316
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Chris Pfeiffer better watch out!
I'll never obtain that level of skills
Old 09-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #2317
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron50 View Post
The extra 5 inches in the swingarm really tames the wheelies but the rev limiter often comes in at just the wrong time too, causing a very heavy landing.

Everything happens a bit quick in first: second and third give better control. It also helps if you're a fat/large/heavy bastard so the turning moment of accelerating your weight causes the bike to rotate around the back axle.

Also, beware of oil starvation, blown seals and throwing oil onto your air filter and into the inlet tract -- apart from gravel rash -- with prolonged wheelies.
Good points, I didn't know there were that many issues with wheelying a boxer. Did BMW just take that for granted with the bike Chris abused or did they change the engine when they sold as "like new"
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #2318
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Good points, I didn't know there were that many issues with wheelying a boxer. Did BMW just take that for granted with the bike Chris abused or did they change the engine when they sold as "like new"
Haven't heard that they did but the short duration, slow speed twirls probably don't give rise to as many problems as high rev, same position, straight line monos for more than 20 or 30 seconds.

My remarks weren't restricted to Megamotos or even boxers but apply generally to wet sump four-strokes, but especially to big bore four stroke trail bikes that are dead easy to wheelie. But even oil-in-frame models such as Honda XRs and Yamaha TTs can have the problems if you hold them up for long enough.

It sure looks spectacular after a ridiculously long wheelie when the bike disappears in a huge cloud of smoke though.
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #2319
Magician
never easy...

Oddometer: 8
Hi guys!
I´m almost through the whole thread! But just could´nt resist to post something now! Why should they change Chriss´s engine? The engine was not cold, hardly ever touched the rev-limiter and that´s what the MM is for! Not?!
I have mine now for three years and no problems at all! I´m sorry I´m to old to know how to post a picture or video (Maybe the server in Germany does´nt allow it?! Help would be great!) So after your video of your attempts (Just continue! You´ll get there!) here´s a little video I just took to show you the view from the handle bar... Nothing special and still a lot more (and better) to come, once I found out how to post them...
Take care!
Gunter

Finally know how to load them!

Magician screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 05:39 AM Reason: Not necessary any more
Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #2320
rocketron
Megamoto/990 SMR

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
Hi guys!
I´m almost through the whole thread! But just could´nt resist to post something now! Why should they change Chriss´s engine? The engine was not cold, hardly ever touched the rev-limiter and that´s what the MM is for! Not?!
I have mine now for three years and no problems at all! I´m sorry I´m to old to know how to post a picture or video (Maybe the server in Germany does´nt allow it?! Help would be great!) So after your video of your attempts (Just continue! You´ll get there!) here´s a little video I just took to show you the view from the handle bar... Nothing special and still a lot more (and better) to come, once I found out how to post them...
Take care!
Gunter

Please just tell me if the link works!
The link works fine

rocketron screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 11:21 AM Reason: Request from Magician
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #2321
Magician
never easy...

Thanx!
But if someone could be so kind and tell me how to upload pics/videos directly?!
Does´nt work with the insert image icon...
Take care!
Gunter
Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #2322
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 712

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
you have to use the embed link for videos and paste it directly into your post.
for photos you have to select the copy image location command and paste that address into the insert image box.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #2323
Magician
never easy...

Thank you Sooterspirit!
So let´s try, if it works!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #2324
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Great vids! Which also means I am not worthy...

Please elaborate more on your technique. [edit] I think I hear a clutch technique [/edit]

Cheers
Old 09-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #2325
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,681
Late in the season I know, but I'd just been running in some miles on the MM after a difficult summer. Unfortunately I had the fuel pump fail on me (covered under warranty), as well as radial cracks in the pump cover where the quick disconnect lines screw in. The new cover is made by Continental and has steel threads (similar to screw inserts or bosses).

After baselining the suspension and adapting Macfly's settings linked here.

Let's just say that it's firm, but not as bone-shaking stiff as the standard settings. Had a great afternoon warping the edges of the tires but the front still feels less than planted so I may raise the forks through the triples for a bit more front end feel.

Still feels great every time I get a chance to throw a leg over, and came home feeling like a superhero. Fantastic bike. . . even superior in many aspects compared to the 2012 GS in the garage. Yes, even including the engine, and especially the transmission.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote