Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #736
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar
Remove the two 8mm headed bolts and they just slide out.
I haven't noticed any 8mm headed bolts. Are they visible down inside the muffler or do you have to take the muffler off and look inside the engine end? When I heard of people removing the baffles I thought they must be drilling out the rivets around the rear end of the muffler to get the back end off, removing the baffles and then rerivetting the end.
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #737
sunandsand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick HP2
My setup, Rapid Bike module, original headers and exhaust.
108 HP at 6890 rpm at rw
124 Nm at 5710 rpm
You have a strong running bike at 108 hp. My bike only has about 700 miles on it so there might be a couple of hp on the table with a little more breakin time. Dyno correction factors, quality of the cooling fans in the dyno room, and air temperature all affect numbers, but I can see 108 on a good running bike on a cool day based on what mine did.

Joe, yu didn't buy the brown because you saw Uma Thurmon riding on the back of one did you??!! When I saw the movie "paycheck", I said that I had to have one of those.

Ron50, when you are standing at the rear of the bike looking into the rear muffler, there is one bolt at 4 o'clock on each of the exhaust outlets coming in from the outside, mine are 4mm allen head. After you take them out, you slide the inserts out.

It might not actually be that easy to get the inserts out. I use a T handle type spring puller and hook it around what the bolts go into, and wiggle and pull and get ready to fall down when it comes loose.
sunandsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #738
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for that, Sunandsand.
Do I have to worry about the bike running lean with everything stock except for the baffles out or do the injection electronics adjust for it?

Ron50 screwed with this post 11-23-2009 at 10:10 PM
Old 11-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #739
Megathumper
+

Oddometer: 837
I have exactly those panniers and Holan frames. As yet I haven't fitted the frames to the bike, they will not fit without modification. I ordered mine from Holan un-finished as we knew that changes was likely. From memory Holan increased the width about 5cm. When I got them I offered them up but will need to make some adjustment where the long brackets connect near the footrest and will also need to tuck the exhaust in and trim the hugger. Plan to do it in the New Year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie
Would this fit on the MM? The possible culprit is our Akrapovic can.

http://holan.pl/en/product/24/29/106...ed_for_HP2_Adv

I would really love the opportunity to use this setup for long distance touring.

Megathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #740
sunandsand
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron50
Thanks for that, Sunandsand.
Do I have to worry about the bike running lean with everything stock except for the baffles out or do the injection electronics adjust for it?
The stock air fuel ratios are both lean and rick depending on where the rpms are so it's not starting from an ideal position to begin with. It's a balance between emissions and performance. I did not do a baseline stock run with an uncorrected fuel map this last time as I had already tested in the past with the stock fuel map and saw the results. Unfortunately, I do not have a graph of the stock runs. I recall seeing that the air/fuel was all over the place. You can take a look here: http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/v...eesmmdyno2.jpg

to see what using a corrected map for baffles in results in when you remove the baffles. It appears to lean things out throughout the entire range. It would reason then that with the stock map, it would correct some of the rich areas but then would lean out the already lean areas further. Stock O2 sensors are not wide band and not designed to facilitate fuel delivery to be adaptive in quite that way, it's almost as if they are diagnostic. That's why dynos and the dynojet autotune use wideband O2 sensors.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #741
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megathumper
I have exactly those panniers and Holan frames. As yet I haven't fitted the frames to the bike, they will not fit without modification. I ordered mine from Holan un-finished as we knew that changes was likely. From memory Holan increased the width about 5cm. When I got them I offered them up but will need to make some adjustment where the long brackets connect near the footrest and will also need to tuck the exhaust in and trim the hugger. Plan to do it in the New Year.
I got a reply stating they have increased the width 7 cm at both sides. Sounds excessive as I assume only the exhaust side is different from the HP2E. Maybe a misunderstanding and they only mean 7 cm at one side.

Could you post some pics and details of where the rack doesn't fit?
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #742
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandsand
The stock air fuel ratios are both lean and rick depending on where the rpms are so it's not starting from an ideal position to begin with. It's a balance between emissions and performance. I did not do a baseline stock run with an uncorrected fuel map this last time as I had already tested in the past with the stock fuel map and saw the results. Unfortunately, I do not have a graph of the stock runs. I recall seeing that the air/fuel was all over the place. You can take a look here: http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/v...eesmmdyno2.jpg

to see what using a corrected map for baffles in results in when you remove the baffles. It appears to lean things out throughout the entire range. It would reason then that with the stock map, it would correct some of the rich areas but then would lean out the already lean areas further. Stock O2 sensors are not wide band and not designed to facilitate fuel delivery to be adaptive in quite that way, it's almost as if they are diagnostic. That's why dynos and the dynojet autotune use wideband O2 sensors.
Yes, I had looked at that graph and noticed an already lean condition. Probably better to play safe and leave the baffles in.

Maybe the MM can do without the extra decibels. I wasn't looking for any more power and I am very happy with the economy.

Something else that interested me in the graph was that the rich period coincides with the cyclical vibration stock Megamotos experience around 3000 rpm in the middle ratios at low throttle openings.

Of course, the dyno readings wouldn't be done at small throttle openings but I'm wondering whether this period of leanness at those revs supports my theory that the ignition and injection are hunting for the optimum settings and cycling backwards and forwards. That may be why people report that fitting a Power Commander to change the mapping improves things.

Ron50 screwed with this post 11-24-2009 at 08:51 PM
Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #743
Joe Bar OP
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Joe, yu didn't buy the brown because you saw Uma Thurmon riding on the back of one did you??!! When I saw the movie "paycheck", I said that I had to have one of those.
No, never saw the film, in honesty I bought it because it was a bargain, I was actually looking for a black, standard R1150R.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #744
sunandsand
Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, I had looked at that graph and noticed an already lean condition. Probably better to play safe and leave the baffles in.

Maybe the MM can do without the extra decibels. I wasn't looking for any more power and I am very happy with the economy.

Something else that interested me in the graph was that the rich period coincides with the cyclical vibration stock Megamotos experience around 3000 rpm in the middle ratios at low throttle openings.

Of course, the dyno readings wouldn't be done at small throttle openings but I'm wondering whether this period of richness at those revs supports my theory that the ignition and injection are hunting for the optimum settings and cycling backwards and forwards. That may be why people report that fitting a Power Commander to change the mapping improves things.
Tuning on the dyno involves full range runs starting at very small throttle openings and then at about 10% intervals all the way to 100% throttle so there is a graph available, but most people don't care what the power curve is at say, 30% throttle up to redline-just wide open throttle.

I've been riding the last 2 days without the baffle and my baffles are going back in. With the baffles in, no one would ever turn their heads to look as I approached but with the baffles out, I've noticed that people turn to look to see what's coming before I approach. It's not that the bike is really that loud or unbearable or even close to the normal Harley loud. I personally just like to be completely stealth for various reasons.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #745
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 552
Ok. I guess Im retarded or something. I looked into the back of the muffler on my MM and I dont see any bolts or allen heads. By any chance, does someone have a picture of said bolts/allen heads???

Thanks.
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #746
Joe Bar OP
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin
Ok. I guess Im retarded or something. I looked into the back of the muffler on my MM and I dont see any bolts or allen heads. By any chance, does someone have a picture of said bolts/allen heads???

Thanks.
Sorry for the poor quality, but just snapped these in the garage.

I always run with the baffles out, don't get many looks of disapproval, in fact the oly time they've been in was when I went for a ride out with two police guys.

Twin oulets showing bolt holes for baffles -

The baffles removed, with fixing bolts in place -

That's all there is to it.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #747
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 552
Holy crap!!! My MM never came with the baffles! I dont think that its too loud either (comparing with a friend that has a turmi exhaust on his Hypermotard). Thanks for the pics.
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #748
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin
Holy crap!!! My MM never came with the baffles! I dont think that its too loud either (comparing with a friend that has a turmi exhaust on his Hypermotard). Thanks for the pics.
That makes two of us! And I bought mine new from the local BMW dealer. Maybe the noise regulations aren't as strict in Australia and none of the Australian bikes came with the baffles/restrictors.

Ron50 screwed with this post 11-24-2009 at 02:27 PM
Old 11-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #749
Megathumper
+

Oddometer: 837
Wicked My Aussie bike came with baffles

Quote:
That makes two of us! And I bought mine new from the local BMW dealer. Maybe the noise regulations aren't as strict in Australia and none of the Australian bikes came with the baffles/restrictors.
Ron50, I bought my bike from Worthington's at Gosford, it came with baffles and yes first thing I did was removed them.
Megathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #750
sunandsand
Adventurer

Yes, suspension again

A short story.
There is an established suspension designing/manufacturing company in So California named race tech. Some of you may have heard of them. They've been around since I was a kid.
People that know people that know people got in touch with me, so subsequently I was offered a good deal for suspension for my MM if I let the guys at race tech have the MM for a few weeks in order to develop and test various configurations. I was initially very hesitant because I did not want my bike sitting in a shop with different guys taking the forks and front wheel off my bike multiple times. For example, one needs to be very gentle taking the front end of the MM apart to not scratch things as you cannot take the brake calipers off without them touching (scratching) the front rim- so care must be taken to cover the caliper with a large rag. I eventually decided that the additional discount was not worth it for me to volunteer my MM as the development mule.

This takes us to Jim. Jim is my contact at race tech who originally assured me that I had nothing to worry about. I heard what he said but still figured that I did not want to be the guy to test his words with my new MM.

Weeks go by. I received an email from him yesterday asking me if I'd still like to bring my bike in. I gave him a call and found out some interesting things. He was a factory mechanic and suspension and exhaust guy for Honda, Suzuki-I'm sure I'm missing some-and most recently Team Kawasaki. I had a good sense straight away that he appeared not only to be an extremely knowledgeable guy, but genuine, kind and professional. I was convinced and well, just dropped my MM off today with them in Corona, CA.
I was given a nice tour of the shop which had a design area, a machine shop with a CNC mill, lathes, the suspension dyno, and service room. They even do their own anodizing there so you can get a spring or component in any color you want. I get the impression that they are trying to really diversify so as to have a very broad range of street bike applications, particularly with the BMW's with fork cartridges and their own custom front and rear piggyback shocks. I saw the new race tech shock bodies, the internals, and was told of some of the differences to a Penske or Ohlins rear shock- i.e much larger body diameters and hence piston diameters, for one, for improved damping control.
He showed me the shocks and "big piston" fork internals that some factory Suzuki superbike guys, like Tommy Hayden, are currently testing.

A big plus for me was that they are now able to revalve and spring ESA shocks as well and maintain full factory adjustment and compatibility. I was especially glad to hear that since the suspension on my RT is not ideal, but I didn't want to lose the ESA. Now I can set them up for a fraction of what piggyback shocks cost.

I'm really not trying to advertise for them, even though it sounds like it to me and perhaps to some of you. I just wanted to share a good experience as I don't run into guys like Jim and companies like race tech so often. When someone says that they will revalve as many times as it takes until I am happy with the set up, that makes me feel like they want happy customers.

Personally, I can't wait to pit with someone at the next track day that used to set up Nicky Hayden's suspension when he won his AMA superbike title, and is who is willing to help me fine tune settings on my track bike.

I know that a few of you are ok with the forks, but other than the fact that I almost dread riding the bike because the forks are so bad and the bike feels unbalanced to me, I really love the MM.
Since taking the MM for a test ride, they have already nicknamed the MM "jack hammer" at race tech. Go figure.

Depending on whether they have to construct an entirely new cartridge or just replace the pistons and valving will determine the cost. My guess on retail on the cartridges will be near $1200 and about $400 for rebuild with new cartridges and $100 for a spring. I understand that an outfit in Spain called Nani racing charges 1150 euros for replacing stock with KYB cartridges, so race tech pricing seems fair.

It will be 2-3 weeks before I get the MM back depending on how much custom machining and fabrication is needed. I'm excited to be able to ride the MM as fast as I could my GSA. I'll keep you posted.