Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #751
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megathumper
Ron50, I bought my bike from Worthington's at Gosford, it came with baffles and yes first thing I did was removed them.
Just checked with the dealer. A couple of baffles/restrictors turned up that must have been sitting around since last year.

That very lean air/fuel ratio of 15.3:1 in the 3000 rpm range is even more interesting now.

Megathumper, I did a similar trip to yours on the weekend of 7 to 9 November, but including the Black Spur and the Reefton Spur.

Does your MM have a bigger tank or look anything like an Enduro? Late on the Sunday afternoon I saw what I thought was an Enduro HP2 at Whitfield coming from the direction of Lake Buffalo. It's the only one I've seen in the flesh. Just wondering.

Ron50 screwed with this post 11-25-2009 at 12:21 AM
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #752
HPSaucy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
I almost dread riding the bike because the forks are so bad and the bike feels unbalanced to me, I really love the MM.
Since taking the MM for a test ride, they have already nicknamed the MM "jack hammer" at race tech. Go figure.
So interested that you say that, I don't really know to fault the forks, but even with everything backed off the bike rides harsh on the back roads I like, and that makes it a lot less confidence inspiring than the friends GS's I've tried, and equally they have both felt a little unsure on the MM.

While my bike is in getting repaired from the accident the other week (posted over on my little site) I'm getting the Wilbur progressive springs added up front, and the correct rear spring for my weight, so it'll be interesting to see if that makes any difference.
www.HP2.info
HPSaucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #753
Joe Bar OP
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,351
Interesting, I've had 2 sets of Yamaha forks rebuilt with RaceTech internals in the past and was really pleased with the results, look forward to hearing more on this S&S.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #754
Megathumper
+

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron50
Megathumper, I did a similar trip to yours on the weekend of 7 to 9 November, but including the Black Spur and the Reefton Spur.

Does your MM have a bigger tank or look anything like an Enduro? Late on the Sunday afternoon I saw what I thought was an Enduro HP2 at Whitfield coming from the direction of Lake Buffalo. It's the only one I've seen in the flesh. Just wondering.
We went down on Friday 13th (all good no problems) so it cannot have been me. We did overnight at Bombala then down Bonang to Orbost and was in Omeo on Saturday night. As an aside at about 6.00pm there was a crack & a gurgle as a 1927 Type 51 Bugatti roared into Omeo, you don't see that every day (only one in Aus) all oil spray & dust! I didn't get a pic but my mate did.

This is mine...

I went for this... down & back up

And the ride along the river through Ensay? to Omeo is a cracker as well!
Megathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:47 AM   #755
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

And the ride along the river through Ensay? to Omeo is a cracker as well![/quote]

Yes, the roadworks seem to be finished now so it's a great run.

The River Road from Orbost to Buchan is good if you're in the mood for slower, tighter stuff.

The deserted and sweeping bends at the top of the Bonang before Delegate River -- top gear roll on stuff -- are good too.

Did you know that the road from the Omeo Highway to Falls Creek is sealed now, enabling a loop including Mount Hotham and Mount Beauty without going onto the dirt?

Even the Omeo Highway only has about 20ks of dirt left now.

I think I've got an old picture of a sign like that on the Bonang that shows 135ks of bends.

Ron50 screwed with this post 11-25-2009 at 01:25 AM
Old 11-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #756
Megathumper
+

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
And the ride along the river through Ensay? to Omeo is a cracker as well!
Do you mean on the Great Alpine Road or the River Road from Orbost to Buchan? (Not sure with the query). If you're in the mood for slow and tight it's fun. I prefer the sort of stuff at the top of the Bonang before Delegate River -- top gear roll on stuff..[/quote]

I like the bit from Double Bridges to Ensay, nice & tight but with big corners and great surface, relatively flat.

If you are also talking about the bit North from Orbost up to Buchan also did that for the first time, very tight, lots of gravel and tricky.

I'm surprised you prefer the bit on the Bonang before Delegate, for me it's the section going South just after the dirt at about/near Bonang village where it get's fun. This year it was so hot that the tar was starting to boil up so parts of it were tackled on tippy toes!

Megathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:54 AM   #757
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, I think that bit around Bonang is the bit I meant -- lightly timbered so you can see through the trees on the sweepers for oncoming traffic.

A few years back they had put too much emulsifier in the tar up near Cabramurra so it wouldn't crack during the winter but when summer came around the surface turned to the consistency of plasticene.

Where the surface was undisturbed it was still grey and looked normal with nothing to warn you but where my tyres tore the top half inch of the surface apart on a curve it was deep, gooey black inside the tear.

Made for some dramatic looking marks -- not just on the road!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #758
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandsand
A short story.
I'm excited to be able to ride the MM as fast as I could my GSA. I'll keep you posted.
I'm looking forward to your impressions. Hopefully the cost will be reasonable on a rebulid.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #759
HPSaucy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hopefully the cost will be reasonable on a rebulid.
Ditto that, I'll certainly be wanting what you guys get sorted in my fork too.
www.HP2.info
Old 11-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #760
sunandsand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Here is a link to some info for race tech's fork kits.

http://www.racetech.com/HTML_FILES/GVWHYGV.html

More then likely and as far as what I was told, what they will develop is the G2-R valve kit for the MM. If the cartridge unit in the MM is a sealed cartridge, which I strongly believe is not the case due to others who have had similar forks revalved, then they will need to create a new cartridge kit for it, at a much higher cost. If the G2-R is the case, then you can see what the cost is for that on race tech's website, plus the fork springs.
I've spoken with them and I was told that I would not recognize the bike after it's done, hopefully that's the case.

sunandsand screwed with this post 11-25-2009 at 10:13 PM
sunandsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #761
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Wink work shop manual?

Does anybody have or know where to get a full workshop manual for the MM. When S&S and race tech come up with a fork kit and setting I would like to go this way too, but want to do the work myself. I also want to change the gearing for a harder mid range, 140mph top end doesn't interest me but 3rd gear wheelies sound intesting http://www.maxbmwmotorsport.com/hp2-megamoto-upg/
Thanks chaps
Old 11-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #762
sunandsand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong
Does anybody have or know where to get a full workshop manual for the MM. When S&S and race tech come up with a fork kit and setting I would like to go this way too, but want to do the work myself. I also want to change the gearing for a harder mid range, 140mph top end doesn't interest me but 3rd gear wheelies sound intesting http://www.maxbmwmotorsport.com/hp2-megamoto-upg/
Thanks chaps
You can take a look on ebay. I think I've seen the manuals on cd there. If you can find yourself a final drive off a used GS, it might cost you less money. It's shorter gearing than the MM and the RT has taller gearing than the MM.
sunandsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #763
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong
Thanks chaps
The shorter swingarm is definitely the way to go if it's possible and you want wheelies. The MM swingarm is 5 inches longer than the swingarm on my R100GSPD. Before I bought the MM I thought it would be a real wheelie monster but the longer swingarm really tones it down.
Great for racing but not for posing.
I got a manual in CD form with the bike when I bought it. Not as easy to negotiate as having a hard copy -- especially with greasy hands.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #764
HPSaucy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I got a manual in CD form with the bike when I bought it.
ditto that.
www.HP2.info
Old 11-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #765
Joe Bar OP
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
I got a manual in CD form with the bike when I bought it. Not as easy to negotiate as having a hard copy -- especially with greasy hands.
Not always possible I know, but I try to print off the pages I might need before doing the job, if it looks like it might not be straightforward. Plus, I always wear gloves now when tackling anything dirty, so my hands are clean if I do need to get to the computer.

The gloves do take a bit of getting used to at first, after years of never bothering, but they appear to be almost universally worn by shop technicians these days.