Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2009, 03:45 AM   #766
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron50
The shorter swingarm is definitely the way to go if it's possible and you want wheelies. The MM swingarm is 5 inches longer than the swingarm on my R100GSPD. Before I bought the MM I thought it would be a real wheelie monster but the longer swingarm really tones it down.
Great for racing but not for posing.
I got a manual in CD form with the bike when I bought it. Not as easy to negotiate as having a hard copy -- especially with greasy hands.
Any chance of a copy?
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #767
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
manual

Ah yes I got the manual on CD that came with the bike but I'm not sure it is in depth enough for stripping the forks and rebuilding the final drive, I thought it was just a service manual, but I haven't looked at it properly.
Anyways I did find a full workshop manual on CD available through e bay. $5.99 think I might order it.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #768
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandsand
Thanks again, I also rec'd this reply from BIKE magazine:

November 2007 HP2 v 950SM v Hypermotard.
Call 01733 468081 and ask about back issues.

Mike
HERE is the Magazine on EBAY!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTORCYCLIST-Mag...item1c0dc29b93
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #769
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
[quote=Ron50]Just checked with the dealer. A couple of baffles/restrictors turned up that must have been sitting around since last year.

That very lean air/fuel ratio of 15.3:1 in the 3000 rpm range is even more interesting now.

Just fitted the restrictors.

Bike seems smoother and only a little quieter. Performance doesn't seem much different.

Hard to tell definitively but the cyclic vibration in the intermediate gears seems to have been reduced by about 60%.

Looks like the problem is related to closed loop leanness in the injection, which is made worse by removal of the restrictors causing the mixture to be even leaner.
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #770
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
I've always run mine with the restrictors and have had the vibration. I would think someone here must have installed a techlusion or equivalent and run it on a dyno? That should tell if it had anything to do with fueling? Maybe sunandsand could tell us if he had or still has the issue after the Powercommander V? I'm thinking of trying one of those in the Spring.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #771
sunandsand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I could tell you if I had my bike to ride. It's at race tech so I won't have it for a couple of weeks. I'll try to remember to look for it when I get it back.
sunandsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #772
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,165
Just wanted to dip a toe in the forum would love a MM, but the price

I will live vicariously through LearJockey1 who was nice enough to share his inner sanctum with my HLP for a mini tech day.

The elusive LJ1-

In addition to a sick MM he has built this for a little change of pace-

Thanks again Jospeh
Old 11-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #773
Ray R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Interesting discussion on the cyclic vibration. I used to have it, but it's gone now. I run with the restrictors out. I can't tell for sure when/why it went away, but it seems to have happened when I went over 1k miles on the odometer...which is about the same time I added the Markus aux fuel tank. I can't say for sure either one, miles or tank, made the vibration go away. It may just be coincidence. But I can say I don't notice the vibration any more than with any of the other hexhead twins I own.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #774
HPSaucy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Its good to hear it called cyclic, because sometimes it is there, and actually bothersome, and other times it is absolute absent. Seems to be most noticeable in 4th/5th for some reason. I thought it was just me, but good to hear others notice it too.
www.HP2.info
HPSaucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #775
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray R
Interesting discussion on the cyclic vibration. I used to have it, but it's gone now. I run with the restrictors out. I can't tell for sure when/why it went away, but it seems to have happened when I went over 1k miles on the odometer...which is about the same time I added the Markus aux fuel tank. I can't say for sure either one, miles or tank, made the vibration go away. It may just be coincidence. But I can say I don't notice the vibration any more than with any of the other hexhead twins I own.
When did you do your first service on the bike. Mine went bye bye after first service and valve adjustment.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #776
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 844
Thumb

Quote:
Here is a link to some info for race tech's fork kits.

http://www.racetech.com/HTML_FILES/GVWHYGV.html

More then likely and as far as what I was told, what they will develop is the G2-R valve kit for the MM. If the cartridge unit in the MM is a sealed cartridge, which I strongly believe is not the case due to others who have had similar forks revalved, then they will need to create a new cartridge kit for it, at a much higher cost. If the G2-R is the case, then you can see what the cost is for that on race tech's website, plus the fork springs.
I've spoken with them and I was told that I would not recognize the bike after it's done, hopefully that's the case.
I just picked up my XR from RaceTech this afternoon - they rebuilt my forks and made a set of shocks specifically for my bike earlier in the year. I took the bike back to them recently as I upgraded to billet triple trees with race offset and lighter weight race wheels - so the suspension needed some tweaking. On the floor in the workshop sat a brand new MM with the oversized tank.

The guys at RaceTech really know their stuff, and when they say you wont recognize it when they're done, they mean it
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #777
sunandsand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Yep, that would be mine. They should be done with it in a few days from what I hear. Was it covered in mud????? I told them to have some fun with it so that they could get a good feel for the setup.
sunandsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #778
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 844
Thumb

Quote:
Yep, that would be mine. They should be done with it in a few days from what I hear. Was it covered in mud????? I told them to have some fun with it so that they could get a good feel for the setup.
It was clean as a whistle...

Look forward to hearing about your experiences, and feedback on the changes they make.

I rode my bike into to work today, and although the 26 mile commute is mostly freeway, I can tell already that the bike just handles, and brakes, that much better - it's like the city just repaved the roads overnight for my ride in this morning
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #779
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Photos!

Sounds awesome! I want photos!!!
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #780
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
After a lot of thinking I've decided to make my MM into a tourer. A fast tourer that is :-)

As my bikes are right now they sit very close together when it comes to what they excel at. Two very different riding experiences, but both bikes are made for twisty roads. The MM is a bit more comfy for long distances, the Tuono being the more intense and satisfying ride.

I have considered a few different options:
1. Markus' underseat tank + soft luggage
2. Markus' tank + hard luggage
3. Hard luggage + carry extra fuelcanister
4. replace the MM with a GSA

I ditched number 4 as I love the MM too much to part with it. It would also be expensive. I decided alternative 1 would be too impractible. Removing the luggage at every fuel stop to get to the tank would be even worse than simply living with the standard range of my MM.

I decided alternative 3 makes the best sense. Racks will be Holan especially adapted to fit the MM. Cases will be Zega Pro 31 litre. This setup will enable me to use one or both Zega's, carry up to 6 litres of extra fuel (or more) when needed.

Another advantage over soft luggage mounted on the seat is a lower centre of gravity. Cost is ca 800 Euro. That is quite a bit cheaper than Touratech's similar setup.

12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote